Author Topic: The Egregore  (Read 117 times)

Setamontet

The Egregore
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:42 am »
An egregore is a magical servitude created by the Magician or Magicians to assist in the manifestation of the Will to Magic.  An egregore can be created to protect ritual chambers or certain magical items.  My egregore is my black metal project I have created and named "Archon", through which I will unleash certain aspects of my music upon society.  Egregores have a multitude of uses for the practicing Magician(s).

"Arise in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being,
for I am the same - I who am the Highest of Life." - The Word of Set

Setamorphosis

Re: The Egregore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 11:02:13 am »
Interesting. What would you say, in your opinion, how does a magician know whether or not the entity they're talking to is an egregore or not?

Suppose a magician takes some sigil, and decides to perform an evocation or an invocation, and they manage to contact something. They get replies, and stuff. How does the magician, in your opinion, know that the entity he called forth was an actual entity, instead of somebody's construct?
a.k.a. Ave Lucifugus

Setamontet

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:21:43 am »
Interesting. What would you say, in your opinion, how does a magician know whether or not the entity they're talking to is an egregore or not?

Suppose a magician takes some sigil, and decides to perform an evocation or an invocation, and they manage to contact something. They get replies, and stuff. How does the magician, in your opinion, know that the entity he called forth was an actual entity, instead of somebody's construct?

The egregore answers only to its creator, yes it is a magical pet.  It lives and dies at our whim.

To your second question, the egregore would "naturaly" know that you are not its creator, therefore it would ignore you entirely.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:29:00 am by Setamontet »

"Arise in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being,

Setamorphosis

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:29:54 am »
Makes sense, thank you!
a.k.a. Ave Lucifugus

Setamontet

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 12:05:42 pm »
To be sure, ritual chambers, symbols, other magical items are themselves not egregores.  They are sacred sanctums, magical objects, insignias etc., we use to enhance our workings of Black Magic.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:46:43 am by Setamontet »

King Mob

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 12:48:05 pm »
I have a lot of different definitions.

I would define the servitor as the magical pet.

Egregor is usually a group project of a servitor which makes it stronger and they are typically godforms.

I do not know the specifics of your black metal project but I would most likely define it as a hypersigil which is an extended creative work meant to effect reality.
"A wolf  is  a  shadow  and  should  never  be  chained.  To  me,  Vánagandr  represents the  very  essence  of  chaos.  He  is  the  antithesis  of  law  and  order.  Without  chaos in  one's  life,  you  fall  into  stagnation  with  no  room  for  growth.  That  is  what  Vánagandr  represents."

Setamontet

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 02:40:38 pm »
I have a lot of different definitions.

I would define the servitor as the magical pet.

Egregor is usually a group project of a servitor which makes it stronger and they are typically godforms.

I do not know the specifics of your black metal project but I would most likely define it as a hypersigil which is an extended creative work meant to effect reality.

This is the one of the functions of the O.S. forum.  To throw out ideas, such as your term "hypersigil" I could call an "egregorium".  Same idea.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:41:34 am by Setamontet »

King Mob

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 03:22:42 pm »
Egrigorium sounds interesting. Like a group hypersigil that is sentient? I love that idea.
"A wolf  is  a  shadow  and  should  never  be  chained.  To  me,  Vánagandr  represents the  very  essence  of  chaos.  He  is  the  antithesis  of  law  and  order.  Without  chaos in  one's  life,  you  fall  into  stagnation  with  no  room  for  growth.  That  is  what  Vánagandr  represents."

Setamontet

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 08:14:12 am »
Egrigorium sounds interesting. Like a group hypersigil that is sentient? I love that idea.

This gets me to thinking, let me get back to you on it. = )  In Black Magic there are so many fascinating ideas and concepts... I love it!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:33:24 am by Setamontet »

Setamontet

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 11:27:37 am »

This is just my first response.  Your term "hyper-sigil" is an excellent word to define my musical project "Archon", and its Black Magical purpose of effecting both the subjective and objective universes through a certain kind of music.