Author Topic: Heidegger and the concept of "Being".  (Read 1161 times)

Heidegger and the concept of "Being".
« on: April 22, 2017, 04:02:45 am »
So, I've started reading Heidegger and his conclusions sound quite similar to that proposed by Jung. Heidegger basically states that "Being" consists of various entities that manifest within the self. He also talks about the concept of "Dasein" in that "Dasein" is the inherent entity (or self) trying to better understand it's own "being". He also talks about the importance of authenticity in that the concept of "phenomenon" is the entity within the self showing it's true character through authenticity. When a part of the self (or "Being") is being covered up it manifests itself through various "symptoms" which can come in the form of sickness or in-authenticity. I may be misreading his work but in my humble opinion this sounds like a very Luciferian way of looking at the world in the sense that through introspection and investigation of "Being" one can reach a state of true authenticity which results in greater happiness and self empowerment.

Xepera-maSet

Re: Heidegger and the concept of "Being".
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:34:44 pm »
Very interesting, I've never really read him but he'll have t go on the list. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more in a while!

pi_rameses

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 03:53:32 am »
Yes. Even equally interesting statements of Heidegger is the idea that individuals are thrown into the backdrop of das Nichts (Nothingness). Due to das gerede (chatter) in day to day life, most people live inauthentic (ineigenlichkeit) lives. In spite of this, he also thought it was possible to overcome these forces and come to the realization of authentic (eigenlichkeit) living. One of his prescriptions to distinguish oneself was to spend more time in graveyards. Perhaps he meant to keep the end in view before all else.

For me, Heidegger's thought and Shopenhauer's process of individuation was a useful paradigm to apprehend the concept of Xeper as I had been acquainted with those two prior.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:07:33 am by Nylfmedli14 »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 06:56:20 am »
I am bumping some interesting topics new members may have missed and want to see.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »
{Thanks Xepera maSet for bumping this, I had missed it].
Heidegger’s philosophy has been used as the ideal tool to determine authenticity in Protestant Christianity (Bultmann, Macquarrie), Catholic Christianity (Rahner), Judaism (YES REALLY) Gnosticism (Jonas), Buddhism (Batchelor), Paganism, Deep Ecology, Posthumanism, Alt Right, Old Right, certain schools of Marxism, and this comes nowhere near an exhaustive list.
I think the ubiquity of Heidegger points to the real utility of his thought, that it allows the translation of poorly grounded metaphysical concepts into pseudo-grounded philosophical concepts (since they end up grounded in themselves). Heidegger’s thought derives its traction from circularizing sleight of hand and a deliberate application of impenetrability. Heidegger noli me tangeres every concept as a direct impediment to the questioning intellect. Apply pressure to his investigation of "Being" and all that is solid melts into air (though in this case all that is profane is holied!). OK, I appear to be ranting...
Jung btw not entirely a Heidegger fan. In a letter of 1943 he writes: “I regard all speculations that exceed our capacities as sterile griping and at the same time a pretext for covering up one’s own infertility. This kind of criticism leads only to the mastery of complicated banalities, the Platonic exemplar of which is embodied for me in the philosopher Heidegger”.
Looking for that quote led me to this (well worth a peek): http://www.chalquist.com/heidegger.html
Finally google black notebooks to enjoy some serious bullshit regarding Weltjudentum!

Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:26:46 pm »
PS [Bugger! hadn’t wanted to bring n “Jargon of Authenticity” as Adorno is legendarily abstruse. However this six point summary is absolutely germane]:
Found this summary of Adorno’s “Jargon of Authenticity” critique of Heidegger:
1.   "Authenticity" is a spirituality that follows no doctrine. This way a way for someone, suggestive of heidegger, to prevent him from falling back into religion.
2.   This creates an environment prone to fascism and totalitarianism since the "Jargon" following the "authenticity" has a need for submission to an object, a void which a totalitarian regime would fill.
3.   Furthermore, "autheniticity" creates a lack of individuality amongst those accepting the doctrine because the words employed do not have any specific content to them, which dismantles the entire idea of the speaking self.
4.   The "Jargon", in following "autheniticity", gain authority based upon saying what people already thinking because they do not have a specific self. Thus, basically becoming a walking advertisement for the current thought of the world.
5.   The "authentic" person would feel powerless and nothingness within their character because they would have religious traits, but nothing to make themselves humble before. This only allows the individual to become nothing but what their social functions add up to.
6.   "In Heidegger, the subject is authentic to itself, the very definition of authenticity, so one’s own subjectivity is the judge of what is authentic. Reason is discarded as a judge at this point," (126).
https://philosophy.stackexchange.com/questions/31793/did-adorno-retain-anything-from-heideggers-being-and-time
All caveats aside (and as per, I have a few) if you consider points 3 and 6 you end up with an individuality divested of individuality!

NEMO 93

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 02:44:01 pm »
I am not exactly a Heidegger fan but he suggestion to spend more time in graveyards is a good one. One, it reminds you of your own mortality. I used to spend quite a bit of time there.

Also, the initiation into necromantic magic is to sleep in a crypt next to a corpse in pitch blackness without fear.