Author Topic: Where are good sources that will help to learn how to identify trees & plants  (Read 915 times)

NEMO 93

A big thing in Thursatru seems to be self reliance and collecting ingredients for yourself when possible. To do this, you'd need to be able to identify trees, plants, etc. for collection. I love this aspect as it both makes you aware of your surroundings and has practical benefit as a grounding in survival training. I just don't know where to start.

Onyx

There are some sites that help narrow things down to your local area, this one provides a list with images based on your zip code:

https://www.audubon.org/native-plants

NEMO 93

This is perfect. Was able to quicky identify the tree in question. Great news is that the primary tree I need is in my own backyard. Bad news is it's gonna take a lot of practice to be able to identify the other ones around here.

Liu

Seconding this question - being able to identify plants is a skill I'd love to have but don't really know where to start. From what I know about it, it's something best learnt by practice, but how to practice without someone telling you whether you got it right?
Any recommendations focusing on European flora?

Onyx

Found this, there is a list with pictures and also an image search feature:

https://identify.plantnet-project.org/explo/weurope/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:33:07 am by Onyx »

MRT

Daniel Schulke and Corine Boyer are 2 great authors when it comes to herbal lore.
For survival i would recomend the SAS handbook series for out oor survival to begin with.

Liu

Lore and surviving in the wild are all well and good, but those aren't the topics I'd be most interested in regarding plants.

I find it more interesting to know more about what are the random plants one encounters in one's everyday life just for the heck of it. Sure this knowing more about also includes things like lore and use of the plants, but it's not for any aim like that but mainly for the love of knowledge, for the rewarding feeling of recognizing something one learnt when seeing it in real-life, for reapplying general botanics knowledge and experience to plants one may not know about yet, for developing a general feeling about how that part of reality works.

idgo

There are a handful of phone apps which attempt to identify plants from photos, if you're into that kind of thing.

If you'd rather drop the dependence on network connectivity along with the dependence on the supermarket, get a botanical guidebook for your region and learn how to read a dichotomous key.

Find a nearby botanical garden and peruse the labels on the plants. Look up each plant in something that correlates names to photos to make sure you're clear on what the label was referring to, unless your local garden was so kind as to include images of the plants on their tags.

For establishing food sufficiency, a blend of farming and foraging is likely to serve you better than either technique alone. "Permaculture", "guerilla gardening", and "agroforestry" are useful search terms if you're interested in encouraging a landscape to be more edible with the minimum viable amount of work invested.

Km Anu

• O.S. Member
  • Never will his wrath or might extort from me
    • View Profile
Try a local plant book from a local book store. I don't know if it is because Alaska is so geographically different than the rest of the US, but most of the plants I would find in larger indexes looked different and had different names than the local flora.

You could also try a local outdoor shop.

Liu

I got a ton of plant books by now (I often even find them for free in piles of old stuff people want to get rid off), but it's one thing to have those and another thing entirely to actually apply them to real plants.

There is a botanic garden not too far away (there is an entrance fee but it's quite cheap). But I wouldn't even know where to start there...