Author Topic: Embedded Intelligence  (Read 180 times)

Onyx

Embedded Intelligence
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:47:18 am »
Bill Mensch, a world-renowned microprocessor engineer, has a unique theory:

http://themenschfoundation.org/why-the-philosophy-of-embeded-intellegence-was-written/

He believes intelligence is embedded in all things, both living and non-living, from the simplest to the most advanced. What do you think of his theory?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:50:35 am by Onyx »

Mike

Re: Embedded Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 03:09:17 pm »
The theory is fascinating but (reading the source you gave) it looks like it may be solely grounded in his Computer Science thinking (an area in which he is clearly something of a genius). It appears to me to be a thought experiment which could potentially be developed into a scientific theory. Equally, I’m not sure if this isn’t Mensch’s Linus Pauling vitamin C moment.

Xepera maSet

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 03:37:22 pm »
I don't really understand this concept of embedded intelligence, and I don't see where the author really supports the idea. Can someone elaborate?
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

Xepera maSet

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 03:38:50 pm »
The first thing I see is embedded intelligence equated with self-reflection, which definitely doesn't seem to exist in all things to my knowledge.
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

pi_ramesses

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:37:58 pm »
I can conceive how the property of intelligence could be ascribed to non-living things like embedded systems, of which I had read up a bit. But it seems to me that the intelligence reflects more on the creators unless the machine is learning on its own as purpoted in AI.
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra
Nylfmedli14

Onyx

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 03:04:50 am »
The whole thing is pretty vague and is probably just a thought experiment and personal belief. His definition of "intelligence" seems to be based on the perpetual nature of stable matter vs. chaotic energy:

There must be one essential ingredient in all things and that must be what we call intelligence. Intelligence that informs energy and therefore converts energy into matter at the smallest and the most complex levels of existence.

Since all “things” are forms of energy, all things found a way to convert from energy, survive, and continue to exist.

Not sure what he thinks does the "informing" and I think the "survival" of some phenomena has less to do with some inherent intelligence and more to do with equilibrium. But it is interesting to see someone formulate their own views instead of adopting those of another.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:09:12 am by Onyx »

pi_ramesses

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 05:00:58 am »
Yes. I see. By that definition, intelligence would extend to things without biological functions.
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra
Nylfmedli14

Setamontet

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:39:55 am »
All forms of life inherently on an instinctive level evolve in order to survive, to exist.  I highly doubt there is any kind of isolate self-aware intelligence about it when it comes to single cell organisms or simplistic forms of energy.  On a Magical level my fascination and primary interest is in the embedded Intelligence of the higher forms of life such as the Self-Aware human being, and perhaps our other distant kin who walk on all fours, or who fly, swim, or slither.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:54:17 am by Setamontet »

"Arise in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being,
for I am the same - I who am the Highest of Life." - The Word of Set

xx
Bees and Isolate Intelligence

Started by Mike on Science

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2017, 01:37:26 pm
by Setamontet