Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3004 times)

Xepera maSet

• Too Serious / Not Serious Enough
  • Administrator
  • Mephistopheles of the Southern Deserts
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2019, 02:39:07 am »
Well Mount and Blade is crazy addicting. How do I level up though?

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

Mindmaster

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2019, 09:26:59 pm »
Well Mount and Blade is crazy addicting. How do I level up though?

1) Up to level 5, just stay in a big town fighting in the arena (doing the quick matches)

2) After that, just start doing tournaments for money / renown. 100+ renown, become a vassal. Some leveling to be had just winning them. Also, start taking quests from lords/kings and getting those done -- the best quests for XP are fighting the bandit lairs, so talk to the lord that owns the town near them for the quest. Stay away from starting war, intrigue, and quests like that. During war, free prisoners. (There are several ways to do that, but easiest is pay nearby town to light their panic fire then "diguise yourself"... sneak in, kill the guard at the door for the keys and then enter the jail... break out the guy, but don't let him help you fight -- they'll die. :D) If you find a prisoner, don't free him immediately go to his family members (using the game info) and talk to them -- they should give you a quest for lots of XP/honor/renown to free the relative. Also, near Rivacheg is a lot of Sea Raiders with decent starting armor/weapons. Kill the hell out of them to arm up companions/self.

3) Defend towns/castles on sieges, just camp the top of the ramps and whack. Keep pushing into the ramp until you get there, if you can't get there just jump up while you swing. :D (Can usually get a level per siege if you keep doing this... it's really nice.)

4) Use the tournament winnings to buy dyeworks so you can start getting income, the best dyeworks is in Rivacheg it'll give you about 1000+ a week when you're not at war with whoever owns it.

The game is pretty complex though, so don't be afraid to google the hell out of it.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:31:38 pm by Mindmaster »

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2019, 11:09:47 pm »
Dye works? You mean I can buy stores and stuff?

I basically did tournaments till I stopped beating them lol.

How do I find sieges ?

(as described by Onyx)

Mindmaster

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2019, 11:16:51 pm »
Dye works? You mean I can buy stores and stuff?

I basically did tournaments till I stopped beating them lol.

How do I find sieges ?

Yeah, dyeworks is a thing you purchase to make you money. :D

Sieges, you can make them happen by attacking towns/castles or you can jump into fights already going on. You have to be a mercenary or a vassal of a liege to be able to fight them. The game broadcasts a message every time a siege is happening, so you just run to that place and jump into the fight. Most of the time the enemies will stand around for a minute before actually getting in combat, so don't just charge right in. :D

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2019, 07:43:53 am »
I'm actually getting over it really quick. It's crazy repetitive and I get ambushed literally every ten seconds.

(as described by Onyx)

Mindmaster

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2019, 05:20:18 pm »
I'm actually getting over it really quick. It's crazy repetitive and I get ambushed literally every ten seconds.

Game is complicated.

Getting ambushed means to me, usually anyway...:

1) Not enough troops. Need leadership to have lots of troops, recruit them at town. Don't overdo leadership though, 2-3 starting is fine, up to 5 max... Over 30+ will take you off the menu for most bandits, 50+ will take you off the menu for nearly all of them. Troop order matters, there is a move up and move down -- put the shield wall in front at the top of the list, archers behind them, etc. In the Party menu, train them up, but make sure you have a good mix. You don't want all tanks, all archers, all cavalry. When you're really new in the game stay out of the Khergit and Sarranid areas -- the bands have lances (which insta-delete you), horses, and lots of bows.

2) No pathfinding. Find Borcha or Deshavi at a tavern, Borcha is better. You can put two points of your skills points in that as well, since you need to do this for a party bonus. Pathfinding = travel speed, and spotting is important too. Tracking, not so much... Spotting affects how much of the map is revealed to you at once. Right trigger on main map accelerates time, hope you know that. (I spent days running around at crawling the map speed. :D)

Having to re-roll is common, because it's easy to screw up. Basically, you want good melee/range skills, training, 2 points in most "support skills" to boost companions, and slowly bring up leadership until your troops are "happy" in morale. (don't raise this until you see them "dipping" in the party menu often, and food variety isn't helping.)

If the game is too hard, go into options and reduce settings. You can make the AI dumber, slow down the combat, reduce the number of enemies you have to face at once, etc. No shame in doing that at all.

You can also order troops with your voice, and the right d-pad and there is a "Drag the flag" option on the left dpad (which also shows you statistics). These only work in battle of course, but let you pretty much exactly order the way your troops move. By default, "Charge" is the order... Charge makes your archers run into the calvary, not so good. :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:26:00 pm by Mindmaster »

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2019, 08:40:07 pm »
When I join a faction will I get constantly attacked by the enemies? I think that's what happened.

I have a ton of trouble finding parties to attack like looters, bandits, sea raiders etc. Is spotting the stat to see enemies easier?

I cannot freaking complete quests cause people move around. It's always like "last seen X two days ago". Am I missing something?

I've heard you can basically be a sellsword without joining factions... But how? Most of the time people say they have no tasks.

(as described by Onyx)

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2019, 08:40:52 pm »
Also I honestly think I have combat on too slow lol.

(as described by Onyx)

Mindmaster

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2019, 11:45:08 pm »
When I join a faction will I get constantly attacked by the enemies? I think that's what happened.

I have a ton of trouble finding parties to attack like looters, bandits, sea raiders etc. Is spotting the stat to see enemies easier?

I cannot freaking complete quests cause people move around. It's always like "last seen X two days ago". Am I missing something?

I've heard you can basically be a sellsword without joining factions... But how? Most of the time people say they have no tasks.

Yeah, joining a faction makes their enemies your enemies.  I usually do tourneys for money, the start buying dyeworks anywhere where it makes over 300 denars a week (remember your army has a salary, you have to do something about the continual upkeep...) If you're not a member of a faction then every dyeworks will turn out money constantly, so that won't be your problem. The money from the dyeworks will be sequestered if your faction wars with wherever the dyeworks is -- my suggestion is once you're a vassal only buy dyeworks in towns your faction owns.

Lots of sea raiders by Rivacheg all the time, and tundra bandits in the snow areas with trees around them. You should just fight them mostly while your troops are low ranked, it'll really help you to grind a bit over there. There is also a repeatable quest to clear out their nests which gives a lot of XP/rep, you get that by talking to the lord of the town near it -- Rivacheg to clear out the Sea Raiders nest, Khudan or Curaw for clearing out the tundra bandits.

There are certain quests that are nearly impossible to do.. one is tracking down a spy -- you have to have lots of pathfinding to even catch the guy, so it's something that can only be done later. There's also a "find bandits quest"... it's hard but not impossible, quest bandits show blue highlight on their names, so you just run around in circles until you find them. Talking to lords can help you find them, they can move a considerable distance away from where the quest was given -- up to several towns away. It's also possible that a lord has run into that bandit pack and killed them, making it impossible to complete. Don't worry about it too much.

If you get one of those quests that's hard, just refuse it... or take it and fail it just to get them to quit giving it to you. (Most of the quests in the game are on an in-game timer, so they will only give you them X number of days.) Also, there are quests for villages, guildmasters of major towns, and whatever. Don't do the cattle quests, they just cost you money.  Some are just as easy as walking a caravan to another town, others are like rescuing hostages, and whatnot. Another easy xp/rep quest is clearing villages out of bandits, there are farmers in the taverns in nearby towns that give a quest to clear it out -- these are usually easy money, so if you run into a village that is overrun don't fight the bandits immediately -- find out what town that village is attached to (check in-game information) and go get that quest from the farmer then come back.

Being a sellsword isn't too good -- you don't get to keep what you capture it just allows you to fight and loot enemy villages of that faction. To me, if I'm going to risk troops to take something I think I should keep it. Becoming a mercenary is only available if 1) lord already likes you 2) his faction is at war. Upside of sellword is you will get weekly pay for the troops you have, though it's never really enough imho. Being a vassal gives you a  fief (a poor village usually, but it's a small amount of income) and the right to keep most of what you capture. (You still can be refused a fief, but you will still get money for it.) Towns > Castles if you're trying to decide what to capture.

Anyway, there is a lot to the game. Don't get too frustrated about it, there's stuff I haven't even done -- like founding my own kingdom. (Working on it!)

On combat, make sure you go to the training grounds and learn the techniques from the training master -- block cancelling, chambered blocking, etc. But, if you're really bad just use iron war axe or morningstar + shield -- these weapons are pretty forgiving, and the shield will make your screw ups less eventful. I usually play with a two-hander (morningstar or bardiche) and a bow (war bow, or masterwork short bow) -- but weapons in this game are mostly a preference. (Your power strike and skill with the weapon matter more than your actual weapon.) Morningstar and Heavy Bastard swords can be used one and two handed, so they're a fun option -- you can switch between damage and a more defensive "shield/weapon" combo. The directional attacking makes the game fun, but you gotta get it down -- shields block ANY attack from the front though, why I'd say start there.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 11:53:00 pm by Mindmaster »

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2019, 12:01:57 am »
Thanks so much! I had no idea you were this into gaming! I definitely won't give up and will keep rerolling till I get it.

(as described by Onyx)

Mindmaster

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2019, 12:46:33 am »
Thanks so much! I had no idea you were this into gaming! I definitely won't give up and will keep rerolling till I get it.

Eh, I've been gaming forever. I have weird gaming tastes, so I either really like them or really hate them.

Yeah, just realize it's a complex game behind some deceivingly simple mechanics. There is a lot of diplomacy, strategy, and whatnot going on. When you start you can pretty much ignore that stuff, but as you get better you start figuring out how to use these things. Don't try to do it all at once -- work on the basics. (Like, practice your fighting in the arena until you're decent, etc...) Remember you're the most important person in the game -- you have to live to win, so play appropriately. Also, never use that "auto-resolve" combat thing, it's nasty to you. (That's where you send the troops in w/o you... it's bad bad bad bad bad bad... BAD)

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2019, 01:05:48 am »
Oh man. I had a powerful little Calvary force, $15,000, joined a group, went to war, lost literally everything, and now can't get going again haha.

(as described by Onyx)

Mindmaster

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2019, 05:22:24 am »
Oh man. I had a powerful little Calvary force, $15,000, joined a group, went to war, lost literally everything, and now can't get going again haha.

Lots of saves, also if your healer gets in the fight make sure you bodyguard 'em. High surgery = no one dies, no surgery = lots of death.  Skills don't work when people get knocked down/out. Cav is OP everywhere but in the castle/siege scenario. Though the knights do really good even on the ground if they're not facing top tier ground troops (enemy sgts and guards).

I've switched games, playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance now. I'll go back to M&B eventually though, since if you want your mass combat fix that's the game. :D

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2019, 06:28:09 am »
I returned Kingdom Come haha. Got an army going again though. Having a big Halo festival with my friends tomorrow, I'm going to suck after getting decent at M&B lol

(as described by Onyx)

Mindmaster

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2019, 08:57:22 am »
I returned Kingdom Come haha. Got an army going again though. Having a big Halo festival with my friends tomorrow, I'm going to suck after getting decent at M&B lol

Mostly, I'm just waiting for Cyberpunk. :D

For the rest of the games around, they're just killing time for the main course as far as I'm concerned. I used to play the Cyberpunk RPG with my friends back in the day, so memory lane and all that, yadda.

KCD had a lot of bug fixes, so it's tolerable now. That's the only reason I didn't get it on release, initially. I heard tons of complaints, etc. I seen some of the glitches that were at release, and wasn't very impressed though everyone liked the story/play otherwise. Anyway, I have less than $20 into the game... I'd probably have really hated it if I paid the release price, especially with the problems.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:02:04 am by Mindmaster »