Author Topic: Synchronicity  (Read 112 times)

Mike

Synchronicity
« on: September 19, 2017, 02:13:11 pm »
Thought I'd share this (although it probably signifies nothing) to be filed under mildly amusing curiosity.
I was listening to "TALKING CHAOS MAGIC AND BREATHWORK WITH DAVE LEE" at Rune Soup a little while back when the postie delivered a second-hand book I had ordered, a copy of Max Stirner's "The Ego & Its Own". Inscribed on the flyleaf was David LEE. Now I appreciate David Lee is not an uncommon name (I'm a Mike Young and there are countless numbers of us) but given the odd synchronicity I needed to know, so I emailed David Lee, who replied: "The book cannot have been mine, because I have never owned a copy. However there is a bit of synchronicity there, because I fairly recently got a free e-copy of that same book and put it on my Kobo".

Anyway, I thought I'd ask folk for their synchronicity accounts/thoughts/ideas.

PS If you come across a copy of Max Stirner's "The Ego & Its Own" with Mike Young in the front it is definitely mine 'cause no bugger ever returns them to me! 

Xepera maSet

Re: Synchronicity
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 08:15:01 pm »
I was just reading something on synchronicity, I hope I can find it. It shows the true power of the mind to create meaning. I remember first reading about it, Jungs story of a scientific patient who refused to believe in synchronicity. At some point the two were reading a book about bugs, and one of the very bugs they were looking at in the book happened to start making noise on the window so they saw it. Supposedly the patient instantly understood synchronicity. But what got me was that the bug in the story was a scarab beetle, one of if not the most powerful symbol for me. I even have a tattoo of one. Suffice to say, I understood synchronicity instantaneously as well, and to the utmost degree.
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

Xepera maSet

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:25:15 am »
[Admin bump]
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

Mike

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 08:46:30 am »
I had not intended the above post to serve as an invocation. However since posting it the coincidences have been flowing thick and fast.
Two of the less convoluted examples.
I casually mention Husserl as psychopomp in a journal entry here. Later I receive an e-mail link to an obituary for the late Mark Fisher (at www.urbanomic.com ) and find on the same site “On the Horror of Phenomenology: Lovecraft and Husserl”. Then I select “Leviathan Rots” to read on the same site and at the same moment the background TV antiques programme weirdly decides to give a potted history of Thomas Hobbes!
And thus it continues. I am listening to a Radio 4 programme which includes an interview with a local academic. I look up an entirely unconnected subject on google and the first thing I am presented with is one of said academics books.
I can virtually guarantee if I go to a bookcase and select a book at random something connected will appear post haste...