Author Topic: The Pitfall of Magicians - Some thoughts on Magic(k) and its practitioners.  (Read 183 times)

Setamorphosis

It is often said that the Left Hand Path magician strives to become a god in his own right. To take the reigns of his own destiny, and be in control of it. To be in control of his own Subjective Universe. And, of course, to separate himself from the natural order.

Yet, there's a common trap that so many magicians (LHP, RHP, and MHP alike) fall into, which I believe hinders their ascension. It's not doubt, lack of confidence, desperation, or what have you (although these things are pretty damaging). It's the willful ignorance of one's control over his subjective universe.

I'll give you the most common example I encounter:

Imagine a magician who works with demons (e.g. Goetic). This person takes a spiritual model (believes that entities are external spirits, not a part of the subconscious). The magician will usually place himself at the mercy of the demon/subconsciousness. Thinking that the entity he called upon exists independently of his mind, he begins worrying not to upset it, to cater to its whims, to take their words at face-value. Sure, the demon performs tasks for the magician, and the magician thinks he has power over the demon. But, at the same time, this same magician feels that he has tiptoe and be careful, lest he angers the very being that he called upon. Then it goes a step further, for every mishap, for every mistake that he makes, or any unfortunate event that happens to him or his loved ones, he'll rationalize it as, "The Demon did it." Or, "The Demon is testing me."

You can see why this is unhealthy, and where it can escalate further.

This is why so many people, knowingly or not, say to steer clear of Goetic Demons. Unfortunately, so many people are stuck in a middle-ages type of belief system, even though they're easily refutable. Yet people don't want their beliefs to be challenged. They want to cling onto them, and thus there is no progress. No ascension. They might think they're improving, but in actuality, they're devoured by stagnation.

Now, in regards to demons, etc, I view (most of) them as parts of your subconscious mind (this model explains my experiences perfectly), but also, they can potentially be interpretations of Platonic Forms. However, because they're not representations of the Form of Consciousness, they're not independent. Instead, the magician personifies, for example, the Form of Love (e.g. Astaroth). This personification is the mental construct created by the magician from the Ego, or the ID if the person is not a magician, and thus created the entity against their will. The point is, this personification is the magician's CREATION. Inspired by religion and mythology, yes, but it's still HIS mental construct. So why would you relinquish YOUR control over YOUR mental construct, and cater to ITS needs?

In Setamorphosis II by Michael Aquino, there's a really segment on this very topic. In a nutshell, the psychological model (e.g. demons = parts of subconsciousness) explains why the same demon can be summoned by multiple people in different rooms (or the same room), and get different results. Different interpretations, different words, etc. Although there is consistency in some experiences, I'd wager that's because people had read about the entity previously, or got some bit of information on it, but they forgot about it. Alternatively, they could've formed impressions of the entity, without knowing much about them, and it happened to match other people's impression.

If, say, Bael or Stolas were actual, external spirits, why would they be shaped by the magicians beliefs, expectations, etc?

Now, that's not to say that one should act rudely, or imposing towards the Goetic Demons, or any entities he works with. Not at all, he should treat them with respect, not out of fear that they might slaughter him in his sleep, but rather because they are a part of him. And one should love and respect every part of him, unless it's detrimental to him and those around him. In which case, those things need to be changed.

This is something I always wanted to say, because I feel like this is what every magician needs to read. Even if it won't make a difference. People can believe what they want, but they must acknowledge that there are consequences for their beliefs (like the one I mentioned previously).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:59:16 am by Ave Lucifugus »
a.k.a. Ave Lucifugus

Setamontet

Interesting perspective Setamorphosis, btw I like the name change.  8)

"Arise in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being,
for I am the same - I who am the Highest of Life." - The Word of Set

Setamorphosis

Thanks!  8)
a.k.a. Ave Lucifugus

Setamontet

Daemons, spirits, magical symbols and objects, swords, statuary, altars, ritual chambers, are all lesser black magical tools utilized by the Magician to help focus his mind and will towards the manifestation of a greater black magical goal or desire in the objective universe.  It is the Magician who assigns meaning and power to these tools.

I remember a long time ago in a very low part of my life when I was addicted to narcotic pain meds, I was so weak, and one day in a fit of anger I looked at my altar of Set and shouted "fuck you!"  Even though I knew it wasn't some other entity's, daemon's, or my altar's fault that I and my life was in shambles.  My second point here is that although we are Black Magicians we are also human beings, still subject to natural instincts and irrational emotions -- the Id.  Which is why the Gift of the Black Flame can be both a blessing and a curse.  Though, I think the more we evolve, the more control we have over the Id.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:14:29 am by Setamontet »

"Arise in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being,

pi_ramesses

Interesting perspective Setamorphosis, btw I like the name change.  8)

Ditto. Cool Setian name.

And it seems to me that this forum post of yours makes a huge amount of difference.
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic atur ad astra
Nylfmedli14

Setamorphosis

@Setamontet,

Interesting. I have to ask you, then, which is better of these 2 options, in your opinion?

1. By cultivating the Black Flame, the black magician keeps Id under control, indulging in moderation?

2. By cultivating the Black Flame, and taking a step further, the black magician overcomes the Id almost entirely, transcending his animalistic nature/side, as it were, whilst alive?

In a way, it could be said that with option 2, the black magician is also transcending his humanity.

Oh, and, thanks, @pi_ramesses ! Even the slightest difference means a lot to me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:27:10 am by Setamorphosis »
a.k.a. Ave Lucifugus

Setamontet

@Setamontet,

Interesting. I have to ask you, then, which is better of these 2 options, in your opinion?

1. By cultivating the Black Flame, the black magician keeps Id under control, indulging in moderation?

2. By cultivating the Black Flame, and taking a step further, the black magician overcomes the Id almost entirely, transcending his animalistic nature/side, as it were, whilst alive?

In a way, it could be said that with option 2, the black magician is also transcending his humanity.

So long as we inhabit a human body we will always be subject to the pleasures and pains of human existence.  The immortality of the psyche or Self is of particular interest to the Order of the Serpent, as well as, other schools of Western LHP thought and metaphysical philosophy.  It is a premise of Xeper that one has the potential to evolve, and transcend the need for physical existence, and achieve a state of immortal consciousness, a state of metaphysical being, of pure thought and will.  A State of complete "Setamorphosis".  This can happen not just on the individual level, but also on a racial level.  Humanity, by continuing to cultivate the Black Flame has the potential to Evolve and transform into something else, a race of purely metaphysical immortal beings.

On the individual level though, it is going to be difficult, I personally enjoy my humanity; I enjoy such human things as eating, fucking, playing my guitar and piano, etc.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:12:19 am by Setamontet »

Setamorphosis

So it would seem that immortality is not without its cost. Sacrifice of one's own "humanity" in a way is a consequence of the complete Setamorphosis. It's inevitable.

It's not a grave cost, though, I'd say. To me, the only reason we enjoy particular activities is because we crave them, they feel good. But they cannot bring that life-long, scratch that -- eternal contentment. Setians are stuck in the middle - involuntarily craving the content of the Id, voluntarily desiring to transcend it, something higher.
a.k.a. Ave Lucifugus

Setamontet

So it would seem that immortality is not without its cost. Sacrifice of one's own "humanity" in a way is a consequence of the complete Setamorphosis. It's inevitable.

It's not a grave cost, though, I'd say. To me, the only reason we enjoy particular activities is because we crave them, they feel good. But they cannot bring that life-long, scratch that -- eternal contentment. Setians are stuck in the middle - involuntarily craving the content of the Id, voluntarily desiring to transcend it, something higher.

The only disagreement I have with this is that my musicianship is not just about it "feeling good".  It is more over a vehicle of creation, of self-expression which is an essential aspect of my personal exercise of the Powers of Darkness, and cultivation of the Black Flame.

Setamorphosis

Oops! How silly of me to neglect the depth of art.
a.k.a. Ave Lucifugus

Setamontet

Oops! How silly of me to neglect the depth of art.

The expression of the psyche or self through the arts is a manifestation of the metaphysical and supra-natural.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:05:46 am by Setamontet »

xx
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this particular topic: Acasual Existence/Realm

Started by Setamorphosis on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post September 15, 2017, 10:04:56 am
by King Mob
xx
Magic and Machines

Started by Onyx on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2017, 06:39:41 pm