Author Topic: Opinions on LaVeyan Satanism?  (Read 176 times)

Ave Baphomet!

Opinions on LaVeyan Satanism?
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:12:38 pm »
I was wondering what you guys think about Anton LaVey and the Church of Satan. TBH Anton LaVey sounds like a charlatan.

pi_ramesses

Re: Opinions on LaVeyan Satanism?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:26:39 pm »
@Ave Baphomet! I think it's sort of a mixed bag. Along with Crowley, I will say that LaVey picked on something very crucial early on of which posterity owes its existence. But it did not remain incorruptible with him. The mandate shifted elsewhere.
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic atur ad astra
Nylfmedli14

Setamorphosis

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:37:40 am »
Good initiatory state to the Left Hand Path, as it helps you purge yourself from false guilt and start valuing your individuality (if you don't already). Terrible destination, because LaVeyan Satanism isn't a philosophy (rather, a compilation, and an empty one at that). There's not a lot of substance to it.

Anton LaVey was clever, very skilled at the art of propaganda.

I think this should sum my view on LaVeyan Satanism rather nicely. I could go on a long rant (and I did before) about it, and its followers, but it would be redundant.
a.k.a. Ave Lucifugus

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 02:22:55 am »
Too much Rand not enough Satan.
My Music and Blog

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmāchāra

Onyx

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 02:54:13 pm »
Quote from: Ave Lucifugus
Terrible destination
This was true for me.

Setamontet

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:22:55 pm »
In the beginning, for me, LaVeyan Satanism presented a pretty cool intro or gateway into the Realms of Darkness.  But it quickly revealed itself to me to be very limited philosophically, and spiritually stagnate and impotent.  As far as I am concerned his book "The Satanic Rituals" (a good portion of which was ghost written by Michael Aquino) was LaVey's best effort and only major contribution to the furtherance of Western LHP thought and magic.

Anton LaVey showed great potential, however, he succumbed to the so called "curse of the magus", and was unwilling to evolve beyond his human aspect.  Which also brought about the downfall of the Church of Satan in the year 1975 c.e.  The CoS today is nothing more than a hollow shadow, philosophically and spiritually stagnate and impotent.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:31:48 am by Setamontet »

"Arise in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being,
for I am the same - I who am the Highest of Life." - The Word of Set

Xepera maSet

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 05:03:24 pm »
I'm not a fan of LaVey, though the destruction ritual in TSB is classic for me.
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

Sutekh

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
@Ave Baphomet!  I wouldn't necessarily say that he was a charlatan, sure he may had changed his own identity creating a brand new Satanic Identity.

But to that extent LaVey played a major influence within the Western Left Hand Path and to which that Path in the West later evolved.

Sure LaVey may had borrowed a few things from Rand and RedBeard by adding it within his literature, but his ideology played an influence among many beginners of the Path of the West.

As for the Church of Satan, unfortunately the organization has changed quite a bit. In which my views has changed to a disagreement to the COS in general. At one point I was quite a bit of an adherent to the COS.

"Absolute power corrupts man, absolute power corrupts mans soul, his soul then rots away. He and his soul must be cleansed." - Sutekh

Deidre

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 12:10:45 am »
From what I've read about him, he seemed to make it all about him, which happens to many religious leaders outside of the LHP, as well. They become drunk with power, with authority, and then their followers lose their way, by following the leader instead of viewing the leader as a guide to furthering their own self discovery.
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

Onyx

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:50 pm »
For me, Anton LaVey's ideas provided an off-ramp from Christianity, a way out of the whole mess. As a product of the 1980's I did the "Sunday School" routine, but we didn't practice religion at home and it was not forced on me. My parents had more pressing concerns than whether or not we were all going to heaven.

"Take what you like, and leave the rest."

Xepera maSet

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 12:45:37 am »
So LaVey was of central importance to me becoming who I am now. Basically I had picked up a (point up) pentagram at Spencer's because I thought it would make me a badass. Eventually I ended up looking into it, and back then everything on the internet was LaVeyan Satanism or left over SRA nonsense. Like many, I found TSB extremely freeing, I had never read anything like it. I was also lucky enough that my family accepted/tolerated it, so I was allowed open investigation. Alas, being a L.S. made me an absolute pompous jerk. I turned off a lot of people, and often had a generally bad attitude. L.S. directly helped me rationalize myself into prescription issues, and after I got away from the whole hedonism thing I was a much improved person.

I think LaVey originally had at least partially good intentions, and eventually he simply became worn down and gave up. While so many of us were inspired by TSB, it's because there really wasn't that much (and I'm not even all that old!) But today, I find lavey relevant only from an academic/historical perspective. Obviously I would be fine with my future kids reading TSB, but if they, or any other seekers, were to ask for a recommendation I would recommend Lords of the LHP, Mindstar, Mysteries of the Temple of Set, The Invention of Satanism, The Devil's Party, and probably a few others long before TSB. The CoS is simply no longer relevant. In fact, TST has taken the one worthwhile thing about the CoS and... well... actually  done something with it.
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

xx
Is LaVeyan Satanism part of the WLHP?

Started by Xepera maSet on General Discussion

19 Replies
Last post August 09, 2017, 04:27:38 pm
by Onyx