Author Topic: Mini rant - the judgement of others  (Read 239 times)

Deidre

Mini rant - the judgement of others
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:01:52 pm »
So, I've decided to share with a few people offline, and on another website, my exploration of the Setian path. It has been met with pity and people feeling that I'm lost, and looking for answers. When you share your path with others, do they have an adverse reaction? I don't honestly care what they think, and I've said as much. lol I'm just sharing because this is a part of my life, exploring different belief systems. I can't believe how judgy so many people are simply because they don't understand another belief system.  :| The LHP is gravely misunderstood.
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

Xepera maSet

Re: Mini rant - the judgement of others
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:25:52 pm »
Every time I guest speak at least one student says I'm lost/confused. To them seeking, questioning, and change are all negative things in religion, it's not how they go about things.
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

Onyx

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:18:12 pm »
I am a former CoS member, when I declared myself a Setian I knew it wouldn't be met with approval, so I backed away quietly and went about my business. There is a lot of judgmental behavior and in-fighting within the LHP also, as I'm sure you know.

My extended family is almost entirely devout Catholic. I don't see them often, but if the cat got out of the bag they would most certainly be offended and embarrassed. It's "go jesus or go home" to them.

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:31:01 pm »
In my first year or so I learned the hard way to not talk about being a Satanist to the vast majority of people. People can just be rude or assume silly things like I  sacrifice puppies and the like.

I seem to be okay to say I'm a Hindu or Shaivite though, so long as I don't tell them it's LHP  :o At most people think I'm a little eccentric then but they seem to chalk it up to not knowing much about Hinduism.

Sometimes the people who actually know some about Hinduism are thrown for a loop when they learn I'm a Satanist too or I say something Satanic. But otherwise if my beliefs come up it's almost always too much explaining. Often what I'm explaining is just so foreign to them I don't even really get to the point of needing to even consider LHP, Tantra or Satanism.

I think that's more of an education thing though, people who are better educated or even self-educated in relevant topics or just know some philosophy or theology tend to understand me a lot better.
My Music and Blog

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmāchāra

Setamontet

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:15:25 pm »
I've gotten fired from two jobs just for being a little open about my Setianism.  One of the great influences in my life Dr. A. Brook, who was my music and piano instructor for about 8 years back in the 1990's, probably would have had a heart attack if she ever found out that one of her favorite students was "Satanic".  All of my immediate family, mother, father, brother, sister-in-law, are Christian.  They know about my religion, and over the years have come to accept me for what I am.  We just have one rule, never discuss religion.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:18:06 pm by Setamontet »

"Arise in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being,
for I am the same - I who am the Highest of Life." - The Word of Set

Deidre

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 06:30:52 pm »
I've gotten fired from two jobs just for being a little open about my Setianism.  One of the great influences in my life Dr. A. Brook, who was my music and piano instructor for about 8 years back in the 1990's, probably would have had a heart attack if she ever found out that one of her favorite students was "Satanic".  All of my immediate family, mother, father, brother, sister-in-law, are Christian.  They know about my religion, and over the years have come to accept me for what I am.  We just have one rule, never discuss religion.  ;)

Aw, that's so sad that you were fired over it.  :(

I think the term ''Satanic'' is unfortunately seen as a Christian term to signify ''evil.'' And most people just can't ever look past that definition of it.

I'm glad your family has accepted you, I've shared this with a few people ...that I'm exploring it...and it's been met with gasps and shock. lol They imagine me wearing a witch's hat, conjuring up spirits and casting spells upon them. Hmmm...

Ningishzidda

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 08:24:58 pm »

AH, did you file for discrimination?

crossfire

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 04:57:31 pm »
So, I've decided to share with a few people offline, and on another website, my exploration of the Setian path. It has been met with pity and people feeling that I'm lost, and looking for answers. When you share your path with others, do they have an adverse reaction? I don't honestly care what they think, and I've said as much. lol I'm just sharing because this is a part of my life, exploring different belief systems. I can't believe how judgy so many people are simply because they don't understand another belief system.  :| The LHP is gravely misunderstood.
If you are looking for answers, it shows you have an open mind.  You know that you don't know.  Contrast that to those who think they know (and therefore have a closed mind,) but really don't know. 
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

Deidre

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 06:15:44 pm »
If you are looking for answers, it shows you have an open mind.  You know that you don't know.  Contrast that to those who think they know (and therefore have a closed mind,) but really don't know.

You are right, and I also have to let go of people's judgement, that's also part of the learning and growth process here, I think.

xx
Rant Journal of Setamorphosis

Started by Setamorphosis on Journals

0 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 07:26:09 am
by Setamorphosis
xx
Atheism and Physicalism have become a joke (semi-rant)

Started by Xepera maSet on General LHP Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2017, 05:35:49 pm
by Kheper