Author Topic: Is LaVeyan Satanism part of the WLHP?  (Read 415 times)

Deidre

Re: Is LaVeyan Satanism part of the WLHP?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 02:18:44 pm »
From what I've read about LaVey, he was an atheist and viewed the idea of Satan as strictly symbolic. That in each of us, is our own personality and no deities to worship or revere. We should respect and revere ourselves and the only reason he chose to term it as Satanist, was to shock people a bit to listening to the truth of what it means to reign over your own life, to be your best Self. He used magic to manipulate situations etc and I don't agree with that, but I like his ideas. He didn't view Satan as an actual being so he only felt that Satan is symbolic of our natures. In this context, I'm okay with LaVey but the whole "church of Satan" thing just has shades of organized religion.
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

Sutekh

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 03:05:18 pm »
But LaVey even says in TSB that Satan is a part of nature. You may disagree and therefore are not LaVeyan, but this is precisely what those satanists believe.

I don't necessarily follow every book as a Sacred Holy Bible in which I may had mentioned before. The thing is, whether a Religion that has an RHP dogmatic concept and at the same time if that Religion follows an Adversarial heterodox point of view/concept, then it would be confusing to classify them as RHP. The thing about the Church of Satan is it was designed to challenge and question conventional settings within the mainstream boundaries of society during the time of the Counter Culture. In which I regard questioning things to be an important element within the LHP. The Church of Satan may have changed quite a bit outside of those decades, but I think that every Religion goes through a process of the changes as well.

Here is the thing, a persons beliefs I think takes over their point of view on someone else's beliefs that doesn't match their concept of that persons beliefs. I am not being critical at you in anyway, but I think that each and every one of us should look at the bigger picture of a Religion that may seem to differ from another persons own perspective on that Path of Darkness.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:14:23 pm by Sutekh »
"Our collective ambition is that the membership of the Order of the Serpent also serves as guardians of the Black Flame and collaborates with the Prince of Darkness in the Infernal Mandate of re-creating the Cosmos in the eternal glory of the Setian Will!"-Setamontet

Xepera maSet

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 03:32:17 pm »
From what I've read about LaVey, he was an atheist and viewed the idea of Satan as strictly symbolic. That in each of us, is our own personality and no deities to worship or revere. We should respect and revere ourselves and the only reason he chose to term it as Satanist, was to shock people a bit to listening to the truth of what it means to reign over your own life, to be your best Self. He used magic to manipulate situations etc and I don't agree with that, but I like his ideas. He didn't view Satan as an actual being so he only felt that Satan is symbolic of our natures. In this context, I'm okay with LaVey but the whole "church of Satan" thing just has shades of organized religion.

A quote:
"For one thing," LaVey explained himself, "calling it a church enabled me to follow the magic formula of one part outrage to nine parts social respectability that is needed for success. But the main purpose was to gather a group of like-minded individuals together for the use of their combined energies in calling up the dark force in nature that is called Satan."
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

Kapalika

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 03:43:51 pm »
I'm actually curious now then what LaVey's understanding of the LHP was. I recall him just using the term vaguely in The Satanic Bible but I can't remember where my copy is atm or I'd try to find the quote.
My Music and Blog // My Chatroom
My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmāchāra (LHP)
"God and the individual are one, to realize this is the essence of Shaivism.” - Lakshman Joo

Onyx

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 04:27:38 pm »
I share in the confusion when it comes to the CoS. When I first read the TSB in my youth, it was a refreshing departure from the 1980's culture when "everyone was a Christian". Back then, most parents considered the peace sign to be Satanic, or anything else that wasn't a cross.

Many people in the CoS (especially the older ones who defended the term "Satanism" during the panic) don't want to be confused with other groups, but the strategy hasn't worked all that well. It's an umbrella-term now.

Anton LaVey did encourage partaking in the "seven deadly sins", but not without a warning:
The watchword of Satanism is INDULGENCE instead of “abstinence” . . .  BUT — it is not “compulsion.”

Ideally, the Satanist would remain in control of his or her carnal instincts. This would be in line with the LHP concept of becoming the ruling force in your life.

Another quote from the TSB:
If a person has been vital throughout his life and has fought to the end for his earthly existence, it is this ego which will refuse to die, even after the expiration of the flesh which housed it.

Sounds a bit spiritual to me.

If Gilmore signs his name to an article I don't think everyone in the CoS automatically nods along. If they do, then they are RHP's who want to ride Satan's roller-coaster instead of driving their own car.

Whether or not a student of Anton LaVey is LHP or RHP is utimately up to them, not some organization. I left in part because it has gotten too dogmatic for me, and prefer the approach suggested by Crowley:

Frater Perdurabo is the most honest of all the great religious teachers. Others have said: “Believe me!” He says: “Don’t believe me!” He does not ask for followers, would despise and refuse them. He wants an independent and self-reliant body of students to follow out their own methods of research. If he can save them time and trouble by giving a few useful “tips,” his work will have been done to his own satisfaction.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:38:19 pm by Onyx »

Xepera maSet

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 01:21:25 pm »
Bump

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

Onyx

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 06:42:01 pm »
I like what @Sutekh said earlier in this discussion:
I don't necessarily follow every book as a Sacred Holy Bible...

Onyx

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 08:18:53 am »
I'm still not sure how to classify atheistic Satanism, perhaps the dividing line between WLHP/RHP boils down to worship or submission to another.

I'm actually curious now then what LaVey's understanding of the LHP was. I recall him just using the term vaguely in The Satanic Bible but I can't remember where my copy is atm or I'd try to find the quote.

It's only in there a couple of times, here is one:

Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal—all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path.

In one interview Anton LaVey talked about relating to the animal within in order to develop into the higher man. That's a bit different than submitting to the animal within, hence the distinction between indulgence vs compulsion.

More later, running late for work.

Xepera maSet

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 03:06:18 pm »
Hmmm, I suppose the difference between L.Satanism and straight nature worship would be the willful choice involved.

xx
Opinions on LaVeyan Satanism?

Started by Ave Baphomet! on General LHP Discussion

10 Replies
Last post September 09, 2017, 12:45:37 am
by Xepera maSet
xx
Brief Introduction to Satanism

Started by Xepera maSet on Satanism

0 Replies
Last post November 15, 2017, 01:37:00 am
by Xepera maSet