Author Topic: Aquino's concept of GBM has me a bit confused  (Read 90 times)

Cabshear

Aquino's concept of GBM has me a bit confused
« on: January 03, 2021, 03:52:39 pm »
As I have have learned and grown over the years I have move more away from the "standard/typical" Satanic concepts, as well as the Temple of the Vampire, I have been studying more Setian-Satanic oriented material. I am currently on my 3rd re-read of the ReVison of TSB and he mentions something in there about GBM that seems a bit confusing.

The "Invocation to Satan" in the original Satanic Bible is an articulation to formalize the intentions of the magician and his/participants deserving of daemonic attention/augmentation as sincere Satanists. What the Invocation is not is communication with the entities. TSB-ReVised page 233 [section on Incantation]

He goes on to explain that the daemons and the PoD live in their own respective SU and CSU. "That voice speech is irrelevant insofar as if focuses vague attitudes and sentiments." 

I guess my question is does the make the standard way of ritual essentially pointless? Why speak or write an invocation or ritual, even dedicated to Set, if he exists in his own CSU and invocations are not methods of communication then how does one establish that link or connection?

Is establishing communication with the PoD even necessary for one's Xeper? If not then why even have an invocation to Set to begin with?

I apologize if this post seems a bit thrown together. This tripped me up last night when I was reading.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:10:00 pm by Cabshear »
I...The Aethyr of my Self as Dreamt in Perfection,
a Solitary and Nomadic Path, the Starlight to the Prism of the Mindstar. Not is my Name known.

-Variation on Andrew Chumbley's Azoetia Invocation

Etu Malku

Re: Aquino's concept of GBM has me a bit confused
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 01:08:44 pm »
Though you seem to be inquiring about invocation and that 'magical' link I will begin with a definition of Greater Black Magic as the ToS understand it. I hope this helps!

Greater Black Magic (GBM) is the causing of change to occur in the subjective universe in accordance with the will. This change in the subjective universe may cause a similar and proportionate change in the objective universe. You undertake a GBM working because you want to understand something or because you want to change something. The former type may be referred to as an illustrative working, while the latter is often called an operative working. Each takes effect by expanding and/or altering your subjective universe, which then exerts a corresponding and proportionate influence upon the objective universe - and other subjective universes - via the Magical Link phenomenon.

The concept of magic postulates that there is a tenuous “link” - generally referred to as the Magical Link - between the objective and subjective universes. Hence a change occurring in one will have at least a partially similar effect in the other. It is the active application of the link conceptualized by Fichte, through which application the concentrated energies of the ego create “patterns” in the over-reaching mean essence, which patterns, in turn, create related, if not completely identical “patterns” in the non-ego part of the mental essence - which is that which defines and binds together the laws of consistency in the objective universe.

Setian Magic is referred to as "Black Magic" to distinguish it from "White Magic" (invocation of non-existent forces/influences for purposes of self-delusion). The Setian performs Workings of Greater Black Magic in which the personal consciousness is raised to direct association with that of Set.

Beleren777

Re: Aquino's concept of GBM has me a bit confused
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 01:55:25 pm »
I guess my question is does the make the standard way of ritual essentially pointless?

Most magical systems lead you to this conclusion eventually. At the earlier parts of your magical career, ritual and ritual elements are training tools. As you progress, they can either help your SU or become a crutch. You absolutely don't need a certain color of candle or flavor of incense to perform an act of GBM. Aquino calls all of this a "Dumbo's Feather" in his Black Magic essay.

Is establishing communication with the PoD even necessary for one's Xeper? If not then why even have an invocation to Set to begin with?

Set is the Principle (archetype, form, idea) of Isolate Self Consciousness. Where he exists or if he exists as a distinct entity is much less important than understanding that of the laws of the universe, one of them is that you have the characteristic and ability of having a SU that is distinct from my SU, and from the physical world around you. The goal of GBM is to change your SU, and understanding and engaging with that separateness is crucial to Setian Black Magic. Physically how you do it and what words you use are completely of your own making.