Author Topic: TST serving its purpose, this time in the context of reproductive rights  (Read 410 times)

Km Anu

Isn't it beautiful?

Things will only get better, stay tuned.

Liu

The rituals by TST and related groups tend to be much easier to understand for me and to intuit how and why they would work than the average ritual I encounter in other contexts.

The one linked is no exception.

It might be because they are based on such a simple framework of beliefs that one doesn't first need to initiate into anything really, but I don't think it's just that.

Km Anu

The rituals by TST and related groups tend to be much easier to understand for me and to intuit how and why they would work than the average ritual I encounter in other contexts.

It might be because they are based on such a simple framework of beliefs that one doesn't first need to initiate into anything really, but I don't think it's just that.

Its primarily a legal protection.

But the ritualization of expressing individual autonomy against the will of the state is very religious.

idgo

Indeed, many rituals violate what we call logic by exploiting edge cases of the rules of what we think makes sense. TST's rituals, on the other hand, violate pollitical illogic by exploiting edge cases of rule sets that most (especially here) would conclude do not make sense to begin with.

Liu

Its primarily a legal protection.

But the ritualization of expressing individual autonomy against the will of the state is very religious.
I didn't even consider the legal aspects of it when reading it and intuiting its mechanisms.
It rather seemed about ridding oneself of cultural baggage.

But I get your point - if one lives under a government suppressing such rights, then this ritual is not just a legal tool by its existence, but also helps free from the psychological leftovers of a law, not just the leftovers of a cultural belief.

Indeed, many rituals violate what we call logic by exploiting edge cases of the rules of what we think makes sense. TST's rituals, on the other hand, violate pollitical illogic by exploiting edge cases of rule sets that most (especially here) would conclude do not make sense to begin with.
That might be certainly part of it, they are more grounded in logic.

Currently I'm reading Infernal Geometry (stay tuned for a lengthy post on it soon) and for most of the rituals discussed in there I'm at a loss in how they could have the supposed effect even after reading the detailed explanations (which might just me lacking the relevant experience but still), yet with the one linked here it's obvious how and why it's supposed to work.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:15:56 am by Liu »

Km Anu

That might be certainly part of it, they are more grounded in logic.

Currently I'm reading Infernal Geometry (stay tuned for a lengthy post on it soon) and for most of the rituals discussed in there I'm at a loss in how they could have the supposed effect even after reading the detailed explanations (which might just me lacking the relevant experience but still), yet with the one linked here it's obvious how and why it's supposed to work.

I'll keep an eye out, can't wait to chat about it!

Onyx

Quote from: idgo

I never really got into the TST movement, but your perspective here sharpens the focus in terms of how it might be considered "magical". Large-scale attempts at LBM seem problematic to me, but I'm not the "boss of the applesauce".

Nevertheless, there is only one abortion clinic left I'm aware of (nearby where I live) in the entire state. There is a lot of religious influence here these days. TST sells a lot of of merchandise to support their causes, but so do Christians.

These are interesting times.

Km Anu

Quote from: idgo

I never really got into the TST movement, but your perspective here sharpens the focus in terms of how it might be considered "magical". Large-scale attempts at LBM seem problematic to me, but I'm not the "boss of the applesauce".

Nevertheless, there is only one abortion clinic left I'm aware of (nearby where I live) in the entire state. There is a lot of religious influence here these days. TST sells a lot of of merchandise to support their causes, but so do Christians.

These are interesting times.

I can tell you honestly and truly it's a case of a lot of big ass legal bills.

And though those bills indicate a lost battle, a lot of new projects have been released from the various campaigns.

The ones I'm in are doing a lot now. And things are starting to feel wayy more autonomous and free of unvetted checks and balances.

I've also noticed TST is real shit producing mature and knowledgeable leaders. It was worrying earlier on but it feels like there is a "graduation" of people taking shit seriously, acting like professionals, and undertaking MASSIVE amounts of...I don't know. Learning. It's a crucible. But yeah, when someone becomes more visible you can see them growing into a more caring and well spoken adult.

I think a big part of it is the volunteer work. Modern society doesn't shit on volunteer work, but it doesn't really emphasize it. And advocacy does a lot for self confidence and public speaking.

Its rebellion,  AH! THE DEVIL!

Onyx

Acting and talking in front of real people can go a long way. When I was in high school I really wasn't the best guitar player, but got out there and did it anyway. The nerves went down fast through exposure, and I got better over time.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to TST, I agree with some things but not others, but have decided to be patient since it's a new movement.

idgo

Re: TST serving its purpose, this time in the context of reproductive rights
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 09:02:32 pm »
I'm still on the fence when it comes to TST, I agree with some things but not others, but have decided to be patient since it's a new movement.

To be untactfully blunt, their purpose is to demonstrate the problems with Christian-based religious legislation in the US by exploiting every such law in a directly anti-Christian manner. In doing so, they can sometimes transform Christians from believing "we need religious laws" to "we need to prevent religious laws", which the original founders figured out for themselves hundreds of years ago... but people so selectively ignorant of history often need a more personal reminder.

If TST never leads directly to any personal enlightenment or progress, it will have nevertheless succeeded at its purpose if it manages to hold open the societal door to free thought that certain cults make such an effort to slam shut.

Liu

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 11:40:17 am »
Regarding TST as an organization, I agree.

But regarding TST and related groups as a group of people of the same religion, it also fulfills spiritual/psychological purposes for its members, as exemplified also by the ritual linked.

Km Anu

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 09:16:08 am »
Agreed. TST's 7 tenets inform morality enough for me to consider it a standalone religion, but there isn't as much of a focus on individual (or spiritual) development. Most actions appear aeonic in nature.

LHP traditions utilize the strength of the individual to strengthen tradition. TST uses the strength of its shared ideology. As time has gone on I've come to really appreciate the separation of my magic from my religious philosophies, and that very seperation is encouraged by the community.

Liu

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 05:36:08 pm »
Agreed. TST's 7 tenets inform morality enough for me to consider it a standalone religion, but there isn't as much of a focus on individual (or spiritual) development. Most actions appear aeonic in nature.

LHP traditions utilize the strength of the individual to strengthen tradition. TST uses the strength of its shared ideology. As time has gone on I've come to really appreciate the separation of my magic from my religious philosophies, and that very seperation is encouraged by the community.
Dunno whether TST itself provide much content for individual/spiritual development, I think you're right they don't. But among TSTy Satanism, it doesn't seem as neglected. I mean, as a group one usually does group rituals, but the rituals e.g. this group provides are for spiritual/psychological benefits, not political ones:
http://www.satanicbayarea.com/resources/satanic-rituals-guide-bay-area-black-mass/
While they are group rituals (even though one could adapt them to solitary rituals), the focus is on change in the individual.
It's fairly basic spiritual work, it doesn't need any previous skills basically. So it's not about spiritual development proper as in the form of a curriculum of pathworkings, shadow work, meditation skills etc., but it still contributes to spiritual development.