Author Topic: Q Anon  (Read 156 times)

Km Anu

Q Anon
« on: October 14, 2020, 01:15:26 pm »
I hate this dumb fucking ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca2DSsuE7jI&t=1535s

I.   Cognitive Dissonance is experienced by human beings when there is mental discord related to a contradiction between one thought and another. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people are averse to inconsistencies within their own minds. It offers one explanation for why people sometimes make an effort to adjust their thinking when their own thoughts, words, or behaviors seem to clash. And it may lead us to alter our attitudes to be more consistent. Study participants who complete an uninteresting task have been found to rate the task as more enjoyable if they were first asked to tell someone else it was enjoyable—an effect attributed to cognitive dissonance. Theoretically, dissonance may contribute to a variety of changes in behavior or beliefs.

•   In a basic sense, cognitive dissonance refers to a situation where someone’s behavior conflicts with their beliefs or attitudes. For example, when people smoke even though they know it’s pretty bad for them, they experience cognitive dissonance. Their behavior (smoking) is inconsistent with their beliefs (smoking is bad). The net effect is that they may experience feelings of discomfort, and this generally results in the modification of either their attitude/belief or behavior so that they feel less discomfort.

•   A psychologist by the name of Leon Festinger came up with the idea of cognitive dissonance way back in the late 1950s, and did a heap of pioneering work in the field. Festinger suggested that we each have many different attitudes and beliefs about the world, and that we each behave in a number of different ways. We are all powerfully motivated to maintain cognitive consistency, and it is this force that can sometimes result in us behaving irrationally, and sometimes even maladaptively.

Because the feeling of dissonance is uncomfortable most strive to reduce it. The reduction of dissonance can be achieved in one of three ways: either we change our attitude(s)/belief(s)/behavior(s) (e.g. give up smoking), acquire new information (“research is yet to definitively prove that smoking causes lung cancer”), or reduce the importance of cognitions (beliefs/attitudes) (“it’s better to live a short life filled with pleasures like smoking than to live a long one devoid of any such joys”).

The formulation of the idea of cognitive dissonance arose from Festinger’s observation of a cult/UFO religion (‘The Seekers’) active in the early to mid-1950s. When their prophesied apocalypse failed to be realized, committed followers adopted an array of bizarre coping mechanisms. To deal with their disconfirmed expectancy, most of the ‘heavily invested members’ (many had left jobs/spouses and/or given away money and possessions) re-interpreted the evidence (that the world didn’t end) as proof that they were right all along (“the world was going to be destroyed, but was spared because of our faith”). In other words, rather than dealing with the dissonance and discomfort arising from being really committed to something and seeing clear evidence opposing it, devout members adjusted their beliefs so that they were more consistent with the evidence.

Members who weren’t so committed simply felt a bit foolish and chalked the whole thing up to experience. Festinger suggested that for someone to maintain or become more fervent about a belief after a disconfirmation, certain conditions must be met:

•   The belief must be held with deep conviction
•   The believer must have committed themselves to the belief (they must have taken some important action that is hard to undo)
•   The belief has to be specific and concerned with the real world
•   The believer must have social support (e.g. group membership)
•   And the disconfirming evidence has to be obvious, undeniable, and acknowledged by the believer
II.   Cognitive Bias describes the inherent thinking errors that humans make in processing information. Some of these have been verified empirically in the field of psychology, while others are considered general categories of bias. These thinking errors prevent one from accurately understanding reality, even when confronted with all the needed data and evidence to form an accurate view. Many conflicts between science and religion are due to cognitive biases preventing people from coming to the same conclusions with the same evidence. Cognitive bias is intrinsic to human thought, and therefore any system of acquiring knowledge that attempts to describe reality must include mechanisms to control for bias or it is inherently invalid.

The best known system for vetting and limiting the consequences of cognitive bias is the scientific method, as it places evidence and methodology behind the idea that is under open scrutiny. By this, many opinions and separate analyses can be used to compensate for the bias of any one individual. It is important to remember, however, that in everyday life, just knowing about these biases doesn't necessarily free one from them. [https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases]

III.   Magical thinking is defined as believing that one event happens as a result of another without a plausible link of causation.  Magical thinkers believe that one’s ideas, thoughts, actions, words, or use of symbols can influence the course of events in the material world. Magical thinking presumes a causal link between one’s inner, personal experience and the external physical world.

However, In order to live we have to believe things without proof. If we refused to believe what our doctors, plumbers, electricians, barbers, or nannies told us without first being shown incontrovertible evidence our lives would come to a grinding halt. Furthermore, some questions we burn to answer aren't necessarily provable or disprovable. We can't escape the intrinsic subjectivity with which we experience and interpret objective events. The best we can do is rigorously question the criteria we use to decide something is true.

IV.   Magical Thinkers are more susceptible to indoctrination by Malicious Agents armed with Dangerous Ideologies. Magical thinking is likely to increase in an individual seeking relief from Cognitive Dissonance. In such a diverse and immense social climate this inconsistency between what people believe and how they behave motivates average people to engage in actions that will help minimize feelings of discomfort. Numerous actors provide a platform for malicious ideologies in their effort to validate dissonant beliefs, providing victims with relief from the aforementioned psychological discomfort, and in exchange the victim develops trust in the malicious agent. These malicious agents present false narratives or non-narratives in an attempt to gain power, money, or influence from multiple victims using various internet platforms.

•   “No matter how attractive a group is to a person it is rarely completely positive, i.e., usually there are some aspects of the group that the individual docs not like. If he has undergone an unpleasant initiation to gain admission to the group, his cognition that he has gone through an unpleasant experience for the sake of membership is dissonant with his cognition that there are things about the group that he does not like. He can reduce this dissonance in two ways. He can convince himself that the initiation was not very unpleasant, or he can exaggerate the positive characteristics of the group and minimize its negative aspects. With increasing severity of initiation it becomes more and more difficult to believe that the initiation was not very bad. Thus, a person who has gone through a painful initiation to become a member of a group should tend to reduce his dissonance by over estimating the attractiveness of the group. The specific hypothesis tested in the present study is that individuals who undergo an unpleasant initiation to become members of a group increase their liking for the group; that is, they find the group more attractive than do persons who become members without going through a severe initiation.” [THE EFFECT OF SEVERITY OF INITIATION ON LIKING FOR A GROUP, ELLIOT ARONSON Stanford &MILLS]

•   Subjects who underwent a severe initiation perceived the group as being significantly more attractive than did those who underwent a mild initiation or no initiation. There was no appreciable difference between ratings by subjects who underwent a Mild initiation and those by subjects who underwent no initiation.

Clear and sophisticated thinkers remain consistently wary of the influences that put them at risk for magical thinking, always cognizant that why they believe what they do is influenced by so many things besides their reasoning minds:
•   What their parents taught them from an early age.
•   What they want to believe is true.
•   What their experience suggests should be true.

So how can we stop thinking magically?

Magical thinking remains a subtle obstacle to making good decisions. But the more we observe ourselves, the more we can reduce our tendency to indulge in it:

•   Consciously identify your desires and biases. Write them down. Try to identify their cause. Work to free yourself from them to the best of your ability.

•   Demand proof when proof seems demonstrable. Try to remain intellectually "agnostic" toward what hasn't been proven or isn't provable, even if you find yourself emotionally inclined to believe it. Try to regard your belief as just that—an inclination—so that you're not tempted to act with more confidence in your belief than is justified.

•   Beware the tendency to let others think for you. This is as insidious as it is widespread. A journalist presents a position about a topic of the day and has his or her opinion accepted as fact. One friend makes a statement about another and everyone accepts it as true without bothering to investigate themselves. Though I don't agree with many of the principles espoused by Ayn Rand in her book, The Fountainhead, the point she makes about how so many of us subjugate our judgment to others is worth taking to heart (a great read, by the way, which I highly recommend).

We all tend to cling not only to the things we believe but the reasoning that leads us to believe them. Despite all my efforts, I've not yet been able to break through my patient's magical thinking about the cause of her constipation. So I continue to do what I've done: chant to manifest the wisdom to somehow find a way to succeed, having proven to myself many times over that chanting has the power to yield wisdom I didn't know I had—a power, however, that can only ever be proven by someone to themselves.

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases] [ [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon]https://propaganda.mediaeducationlab.com/] [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon] [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/happiness-in-world/200911/magical-thinking]

If this post was disorganized its because it was intended for my own reference and re-doing it would take time I can't muster ATM.