Author Topic: Discussion on Thelema: RHP or LHP?  (Read 5335 times)

Frater Sisyphus

Re: Discussion on Thelema: RHP or LHP?
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2018, 01:53:22 am »
While I do like Crowley, I have come to be of the thought that he didn't understand Liber L. Vel Legis at all, and that his whole system he called Thelema (versus the religion/spirituality) is entirely biased on his own self-interest - not necessarily what is contained within Liber Legis.

1.48 "My prophet is a fool with his one, one, one" is also more true than mainstream Thelemites would like to admit.

I also believe that "Thelema" is entirely LHP but it's Hindu/Hermetic concept of God is an important aspect to it's theology.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:54:59 am by Frater Sisyphus »

Frater Sisyphus

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2018, 03:12:40 am »
Repost from RF:

God (The All) is impossible to know or understand, as it is beyond everything - it is infinite.

As a Thelemite, I believe in the two 'absolute' dual aspects of God, in their (sic) unity manifest as: Nuit (infinite space, beyond the material world - Feminine) and Hadit (matter, energy itself - Masculine) - which are in a way, like the Yin and Yang of Taoism. But then there is also a more personal, less-absolute layer of God known as Ra-Hoor-Khuit (or Horus, for short), which manifests as the sun itself. But ultimately, I don't believe our purpose or goal in life itself is to actually commune with God (in spite of "As Above, So Below") - I believe it is the purpose of Death; to become one with God (The All).

So to get back to the essence of the thread - I believe the Taoist axiom "The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao, The name that can be named is not the eternal name." The absolute, infinite God is not something that words are capable of describing or defining, despite that all religions attempt this (to varying degrees).

It's a strange paradigm but we live our lives separate from God (in a definite sense), even though God is manifest in every single atom and particle in the universe - but we become one with the eternal ecstasy of God when we die.

NEMO 93

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2018, 04:09:26 pm »
@Frater Sisyphus I have a different interpretation I've stumbled upon recently, I believe that when one crosses the abyss (in this life, and not death) they have the mystical experience that leads some monks to claim "my eye is god's eye" etc but I feel that it's a bit more complicated than that.

That comes and goes, Crowley made it clear that Masters of The Templi come back and forth to this side of the abyss in Book of Lies.

In Book of Lies he seems to indicate that this state of mind is similar to a state of gnosis, but a bit more intense, in the sense of not-thinking and willing that creates successful magick.

It doesn't necessarily cancel out the ego and the ego doesn't nesecarrily cancel out the non-ego, it's a point of view beyond both where both are equally valid. The task then of the Adeptus Exemptus seems to to be to balance and reconcile all his dualities into one, including the ego and non-ego. It's a bit complicated and hard to describe.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2018, 04:12:58 pm »
While I do like Crowley, I have come to be of the thought that he didn't understand Liber L. Vel Legis at all, and that his whole system he called Thelema (versus the religion/spirituality) is entirely biased on his own self-interest - not necessarily what is contained within Liber Legis.

1.48 "My prophet is a fool with his one, one, one" is also more true than mainstream Thelemites would like to admit.

I also believe that "Thelema" is entirely LHP but it's Hindu/Hermetic concept of God is an important aspect to it's theology.

Oh definitely. AL calls numerology a joke, is stellar in nature quite obviously, tells Crowley not to change the book and insults him several times... I have no idea how Aiwas led to the founding of mainstream Thelema. Considering the rise of the LHP, Aiwas didn't seem too pleased either.

"My step is great, that I may traverse the sky."
- The Pyramid Texts

Frater Sisyphus

• Perennialist Mystic (semi-Thelemic/Muslim/Dharmic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2018, 09:28:37 am »
Oh definitely. AL calls numerology a joke, is stellar in nature quite obviously, tells Crowley not to change the book and insults him several times... I have no idea how Aiwas led to the founding of mainstream Thelema. Considering the rise of the LHP, Aiwas didn't seem too pleased either.

I fully agree with you.

Regarding LHP vs RHP, I do believe that it is a Left Hand Path within a Right Hand Theology - aka, we are left to walk our own paths without moral dogma or restriction but still in some form of adoration or acknowledgement towards the higher forces that the deities of Liber Legis represent (I personally always have contradictory thoughts around them to be honest, aside from Aiwass itself - which I do fully believe is a real force or spirit, give or take a punch to orthodoxy).

Essentially, Liber Legis says (colloquially speaking of course) "here is God, here is the universe. Fuck what false religions have put in your mind about sin and false ideas about God. Go and walk your path, rise to the best you can make of your existence. Remember that I want this for you, life is about joy and ecstasy"

As Above, So Below

NEMO 93

« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2018, 04:05:02 pm »
@Frater Sisyphus

Let's keep in mind that the forces it instructs to worship is commonly interpreted to be Nuit(basically to enjoy the whole universe- very pro-life/pro-cosmic), Hadit(Kundalini, very pro-self), and Horus(comes in Ra-Hoor Khuit as someone who destroys all the religions and all chains BUT the other Horus replaces the formula of attaintment for this Aeon as a crowned and conquering child who will grow into attainment in this life rather than the next one thanks to his elder's destruction of chains.)

You could do worse for LHP Gods but within Crowley's Thelema, there is this view of a Greater "G" good as Lon Milo likes to put it. It's clearly within his rituals and system and within the book of the Law, Nuit seems to provide a basis for it. That chapter is definitely about taking control of your life and enjoying what you will without guilt but it's justification is that everything is holy so it's 50/50 there. 

Frater Sisyphus

• Perennialist Mystic (semi-Thelemic/Muslim/Dharmic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2018, 11:14:21 pm »
It's interesting you mention Hadit as Kundalini, because I've seen Nuit referred to as Kundalini. In many ways with Liber Legis (and scripture in general) the density of the text, provides layers for the yogic and tantric (well, that part is obvious on the surface) symbolism/instruction.
As Above, So Below