Author Topic: Setianism in a Nutshell  (Read 820 times)

Hapu

Setianism in a Nutshell
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:33:29 am »
I finally get Setianism. It took me such a long time because I thought the Egyptology, the Orders, and the Crowleyan and LaVeyan affectations mattered. None of that matters.

Setianism in a nutshell:

"Behold! I AM! Thus awake, I observe myself, assess myself, adamantly adjust and accelerate myself, and by virtue of my self-absorption, I shall - if anyone ever has or will - I shall escape annihilation. EGO INVICTUS!"

All the rest the Temple talks about is cud to be chewed by cows.

FYI, the last two words of the above assertion mean, in Latin, "I undefeated."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:44:22 am by Hapu »

Setamontet

Re: Setianism in a Nutshell
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:29:23 pm »
FYI there are going to be times in your life when your going to be defeated, but it is the Setian Will within you that gives you the strength to rise up and conquer.  No true Setian's life, Xeper, Initiation, Magic, can fit in a "nutshell".  Setian philosophy is a way of Life and Magic, a guide to the infinite within and the infinite without.  Life is a Greater Black Magical Working; and as "Setianism" is also a religion I will say this - the knowledge, understanding, and wisdom of Set expressed by other Setians in their writings is definitely not "cud to be chewed by cows".  But rather a sort of trail to be explored, Magics to be experimented with by the immortal soul, if you so choose.

Xeper and Remanifest.
"Ia Shub-Niggurath!  May the gifted of Set rule on a thousand worlds when that night falls on Terra!  When the stars come right again!" - Patricia Hardy

Hapu

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 11:31:46 am »
See my first attachment.

Set is the Lord of the Left Hand Path. My allegiance is to Set and not at all to any Temple.

I AM! EGO INVICTUS!

In the games of power, ethics, or survival, I, like anyone, can be defeated. But as long as my brain permits, I cannot be defeated in my never ending commitment to observe myself, assess myself, and adamantly adjust and accelerate myself. In self-absorption I have my immortality if such can be had at all.

This is Setianism stripped to its bare essence, as symbolized by my second attachment.

And yes, I realize we all must walk the Right Hand Path when compelled by pragmatism (boss's power) or parental love (spawn's survival). No one walks the Left Hand Path 24/7 unless independently wealthy and either literally or effectively childless. The Left Hand Path is eternally forgiving. One can always return to it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:36:44 am by Hapu »

Liu

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 12:13:12 pm »
See my first attachment.

Set is the Lord of the Left Hand Path. My allegiance is to Set and not at all to any Temple.

I AM! EGO INVICTUS!

In the games of power, ethics, or survival, I, like anyone, can be defeated. But as long as my brain permits, I cannot be defeated in my never ending commitment to observe myself, assess myself, and adamantly adjust and accelerate myself. In self-absorption I have my immortality if such can be had at all.

This is Setianism stripped to its bare essence, as symbolized by my second attachment.

And yes, I realize we all must walk the Right Hand Path when compelled by pragmatism (boss's power) or parental love (spawn's survival). No one walks the Left Hand Path 24/7 unless independently wealthy and either literally or effectively childless. The Left Hand Path is eternally forgiving. One can always return to it.

If pragmatism is RHP, I would conclude from this (regarding the realm of power):

LHP: idealistic, expressing your power (because you have the independence to do so)
RHP: pragmatic, working on increasing and protecting your power (because you are currently dependent on something external from yourself)

Many actions are both, though. E.g. you may read a book both to increase your knowledge (i.e. power) and because you enjoy doing so. You may eat something both because it's good for your health and because it's tasty. And every RHP-action has LHP-action/-state as its ultimate goal.

Even if I'd desire to submit myself to my boss's will, I'd do so out of my own desire, which would make it LHP as I'm thereby shaping the world to how I want it to be.

NatTheWarlock

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 04:22:09 pm »
If pragmatism is RHP, I would conclude from this (regarding the realm of power):

LHP: idealistic, expressing your power (because you have the independence to do so)
RHP: pragmatic, working on increasing and protecting your power (because you are currently dependent on something external from yourself)

Many actions are both, though. E.g. you may read a book both to increase your knowledge (i.e. power) and because you enjoy doing so. You may eat something both because it's good for your health and because it's tasty. And every RHP-action has LHP-action/-state as its ultimate goal.

Even if I'd desire to submit myself to my boss's will, I'd do so out of my own desire, which would make it LHP as I'm thereby shaping the world to how I want it to be.

Thank you for posting this. This is similar to my own views on the matter, finding there's really little difference between RHP and LHP beyond semantics. Personally, I don't care where the power behind magic comes from (I tend towards it coming from within, personally, but if we continue down this way, we begin digging into non-dualism and whathaveyou where nothing and everything is within and without). I practice Golden Dawn and Thelemic magic because I get a lot out of it, both power and fulfillment. I don't care so much about union with deity as much as seeing behind the universe's veil.

Liu

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:49:46 pm »
Thank you for posting this. This is similar to my own views on the matter, finding there's really little difference between RHP and LHP beyond semantics. Personally, I don't care where the power behind magic comes from (I tend towards it coming from within, personally, but if we continue down this way, we begin digging into non-dualism and whathaveyou where nothing and everything is within and without). I practice Golden Dawn and Thelemic magic because I get a lot out of it, both power and fulfillment. I don't care so much about union with deity as much as seeing behind the universe's veil.
Yes, it's all just semantics - all words are, but especially such ones as these that don't describe any actual object. The important bit is whether it helps. But I can't see it helping me when I see logical contradictions as I then can't believe in it, so I see some worth in discussing it nevertheless (besides arguing just being fun).

To make it clear, what I wrote above is not really how I would describe LHP or RHP - it's just what it would mean if Hapu's characterization of it was true.

Etu Malku

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 12:12:09 am »
I finally get Setianism. It took me such a long time because I thought the Egyptology, the Orders, and the Crowleyan and LaVeyan affectations mattered. None of that matters.

Setianism in a nutshell:

"Behold! I AM! Thus awake, I observe myself, assess myself, adamantly adjust and accelerate myself, and by virtue of my self-absorption, I shall - if anyone ever has or will - I shall escape annihilation. EGO INVICTUS!"

All the rest the Temple talks about is cud to be chewed by cows.

FYI, the last two words of the above assertion mean, in Latin, "I undefeated."
Much of the 'Setianism' followed is not the 'Setian Philosophy' practiced by the Temple of Set.
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Onyx

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 06:49:14 pm »
When it comes to the Temple of Set, I wouldn't know because I've never been a member. I've talked to people and have read books, but learning indirectly doesn't equate to actual experience with a school of Magic.

Nevertheless as @Setamontet indicated, there will invariably be times of defeat. I do like your words in terms of overcoming the wrenches life throws into what otherwise would be a beautiful day - let us strive to control the business of life instead of allowing it to control us.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:56:37 pm by Onyx »