Author Topic: A Fourfold Lunar Adoration and Invocation  (Read 577 times)

Olive

A Fourfold Lunar Adoration and Invocation
« on: February 02, 2020, 04:33:28 pm »

Category:  Ritual, Lunar Theology, Devotional Practice.

This practice has been adapted and elaborated from a similar one put forward in The Scarlet Dragon Vol. 1 No. 2, Feast of the Dragon Anno IV i. According to the Hermetic Library, it has also entered the canon of the Latrant Deity Project.

That ritual was clearly inspired by the one in Liber Resh vel Helios by Aleister Crowley. It is a solar adoration which remains important to thelemic practitioners today.

This version is meant to be a nightly or weekly practice which honors our Pale Goddess in all her phases - one which offers a meditation on her fourfold face. May the aspirant achieve unity of purpose, purification of her constituents, and an open and easy Bhakti with the Queen of Heaven.

The four “faces” mentioned are the waxing moon, as Artemis; the full moon, as Pandia Selene; the waning moon, as Hekate; and the new moon, as Morrigan. There are also the four lunar names mentioned in my gnostic-lunar banishing ritual of the Pentagram. Variants include using Diana for the waning moon and Hekate for the new moon, as the original did. I prefer my arrangement for various reasons - principal among them that Diana is not a very distinct archetype compared to Artemis, and that Hekate fits better as a crone because she is still a distinctly lunar goddess, whereas the archetype of the new moon is more of a goddess of darkness and chaos. It is also fine to use the simpler “Selene” for the full moon, however Pandia Selene is nice in that it is a name which specifically refers to the full moon and comes with its own interesting mythos.

This ritual can be performed alone or as part of a more elaborate ceremony including banishing, consecration, and purification by water. Auspicious ceremonial elements include white clothing, the burning of candles or sweet incense, moonish herbs, milk, and silver.

If you want to perform the practice weekly, the ideal nights are the first quarter, the full moon, the last quarter, and the new moon. If nightly, the waxing and waning phases will last until they reach an extreme. The adoration to Artemis lasts from the first crescent to the full moon, and the adoration to Hekate from the full moon to the new moon. It is also possible to use the full moon adoration during the nights before and after the brightest night, and to use the new moon adoration for the nights of total darkness following the new moon.

If anyone is interested in performing this ritual but is intimidated by the complexity or memorization, I would recommend starting with just one portion and just trying it out until it becomes more comfortable. This ritual is actually rather easy to do, but it is symbolically rich. It is the type of thing that unfolds for you and becomes more meaningful as you become more familiar with it. I have performed this many many times and I am happy to answer any questions you might have from my perspective.

-----

Let us begin with the first crescent.

On the nights when the Moon is waxing, let the magician face Her with arms raised and proclaim:

Hail unto thee who art Artemis, gliding through the heavens,
who treadest upon the clouds and drinkest the nectar of the stars;
Thou eye that openest in Thy Stalking upon the night of Pan.
Chaos leadeth thee in the dance, and Eros singeth thy beauty!

Then let her summon the force of ALIM by word and will, making the sign of 496 in Liberty.

Hands are held with crossed wrists below the waist, and brought up to come together over the head.

Following this, she shall make the sign of Silence (a raised index finger over the lips), and then the signs of NOX

Next the magician shall recite the adoration to Artemis, by which the spirit shall descend, that ALIM becomes ALHIM, and she too shall drink the nectar of the stars.

Adoration to Artemis

Uncharmable charmer
Of Bacchus and Mars
In the sounding rebounding
Abyss of the stars!
O virgin in armour,
Thine arrows unsling
In the brilliant resilient
First rays of the spring!

By the force of the fashion
Of love, when I broke
Through the shroud, through the cloud,
Through the storm, through the smoke,
To the mountain of passion
Volcanic that woke ---
By the rage of the mage
I invoke, I invoke!

By the midnight of madness: -
The lone-lying sea,
he swoon of the moon,
our swoon into me,
The sentinel sadness
Of cliff-clinging pine,
That night of delight
You were mine, you were mine!

You were mine, O my saint,
My maiden, my mate,
By the might of the right
Of the night of our fate.
Though I fall, though I faint,
Though I char, though I choke,
By the hour of our power
I invoke, I invoke!

By the mystical union
Of fairy and faun,
Unspoken, unbroken -
The dust to the dawn! -
A secret communion
Unmeasured, unsung,
The listless, resistless,
Tumultuous tongue! -

O virgin in armour,
Thine arrows unsling,
In the brilliant resilient
First rays of the spring!
No Godhead could charm her,
But manhood awoke -
O fiery Valkyrie,
I invoke, I invoke!

(Pan to Artemis, Aleister Crowley)

Afterwards, she should think of Artemis - the huntress, the virgin, the saint. Freest among beings, and yet unblemished. She is the white lotus that flourishes in the wilderness among nymphs and virgins, who submits to no one but is ever sharpening her discipline. The adept should compose herself to holy meditation until she tastes the dissolution.

Beloved of all things high and low, the witch should withdraw into herself and exercise a chastity of spirit. The nectar of the stars shall nourish her as she develops strength, purity, discipline, and willpower. Unconcerned with anything and regardless of circumstance, she should meditate on her highest self. 

On the night when the Moon is full, let the magician face Her with arms raised and proclaim:

Hail unto thee who art Pandia Selene, gliding through the heavens,
Thou eye that gazeth in Thy Mystery upon the night of Pan.

Then let her summon the force of ALIM by word and will, making the sign of 496 in Light.

Hands are held together below the waist, and brought up to crossed wrists above the head.

Following this, she shall make the sign of Silence (a raised index finger over the lips), and then the signs of NOX.

Next the magician shall recite the adoration to Selene, by which the spirit shall descend, that ALIM becomes ALHIM, and she too shall drink the nectar of the stars.

Adoration to Selene

Hear, Goddess queen, diffusing silver light,
bull-horn'd and wand'ring through the gloom of Night.
With stars surrounded, and with circuit wide Night's torch extending,
through the heavens you ride:

Female and Male, with borrowed rays you shine,
and now full-orb'd, now tending to decline.
Mother of ages, fruit-producing Moon,
whose amber orb makes Night's reflected noon:
Lover of horses, splendid, queen of Night,
all-seeing power bedecked with starry light.
Lover of vigilance, the foe of strife,
in peace rejoicing, and a prudent life:
Fair lamp of Night, its ornament and friend,
Who givest to Nature's works their destined end.
Queen of the stars, all-wife Diana hail!
Deck'd with a graceful robe and shining veil;
Come, blessed Goddess, prudent, starry, bright,
come moony-lamp with chaste and splendid light,
Shine on these sacred rites with prosperous rays,
and pleased accept thy suppliant's mystic praise!

(The Orphic Hymn to Selene, translated by Thomas Taylor. Spelling slightly modernized by myself)

Afterwards, she should think of Pandia Selene. Daughter of the Moon, with the splendor of the Queen of Heaven in fullness. The accomplished Lunar Priestess and the image of the Pale Goddess. A healer and giver of boons, mighty in mystic power; she who bestows divine visions and reveals all mystery.

Forgetting her mundane concerns and letting go of all impurities, The witch should compose herself to holy meditation until she tastes the dissolution. Exalted in spirit, let her come into contact with that supreme spirit which pervades and supports all things. Inspired by and fertilized by his transcendental grace, a new soul shall be born for her - a goddess in silver radiance.

Utterly fulfilled and perfected, let her turn her face once again upon the land of the dead. She shall shed dispassionate sapphire tears over it, which will fall and touch the hearts of all those who long for purity and light.

The Full Moon is the holiest night of the cycle for a lunar priestess, when the eye of the Goddess is fixed directly upon us. One should regard the celestial orb as a mother and queen as she basks her body in its radiance. The heightened energies of the sabbath can be put to use effectively in many ways, ranging from social gatherings to sex to magical workings. But it is best if one devotes this energy to mystical revelation and communion through Yoga, and the perfecting and renewal of the Will and self-idea. It may also be a time for penance and reflection if the adept's purity of purpose was not kept during the nights of Artemis.

On the nights when the Moon is waning, let the magician face Her with arms raised and proclaim:

Hail unto thee who art Hekate, gliding through the heavens,
Thou eye that closest in Thy Dreaming upon the night of Pan.

Then let her summon the force of ALIM by word and will, making the sign of 496 in Life

Hands are held with crossed wrists above the head, and brought down to come together below the waist.

Following this, she shall make the sign of Silence (a raised index finger over the lips), and then the signs of NOX.

Next the magician shall recite the adoration to Hekate, by which the spirit shall descend, that ALIM becomes ALHIM, and she too shall drink the nectar of the stars.

Adoration to Hekate

I call Einodian Hecate, lovely dame,
of earthly, wat’ry, and celestial frame,
Sepulchral, in a saffron veil arrayed,
leased with dark ghosts that wander thro’ the shade;
Persian, unconquerable huntress hail!
The world’s key-bearer never doom’d to fail
On the rough rock to wander thee delights,
leader and nurse be present to our rites
Propitious grant our just desires success,
accept our homage, and the incense bless.

(The Orphic Hymn to Hecate, translated by Thomas Taylor)

Afterwards, she should think of and commune with Hecate, the Crone, and goddess of crossroads. She is tricky and full of wiles - walking dark paths by the fading moonlight. She is a lover of animals, and an indispensable ally in all travels through the borderlands. As the keybearer, let the witch be barred from no entrance. Surefooted, she shall go where she wills and, spending herself to alter things howsoever she wills, she shall delight in her mastery and power.

On the night when the Moon is new, let the magician face Her with arms raised and proclaim:

Hail unto thee who art Morrigan, gliding through the heavens,
Thou eye that blinkest in Thine Enigma upon the night of Pan.

Then let her summon the force of ALIM by word and will, making the sign of 496 in Love

Hands are held together above the head, and brought down to crossed wrists below the waist.

Next the magician shall recite the adoration to Morrigan, by which the spirit shall descend, that ALIM becomes ALHIM, and the adept shall drink the darkened waters of Nun.

Adoration to Morrigan

O triple form of darkness! Sombre splendour!
Thou moon unseen of men! Thou huntress dread!
Thou crownèd demon of the crownless dead !
O breasts of blood, too bitter and too tender!
Let me the offering
Unseen of gentle spring
Bring to thy shrine’s sepulchral glittering!
I slay the swart beast! I bestow the bloom
Sown in the dusk, and gathered in the gloom
Under the waning moon,
At midnight hardly lightening the East ;
And the black lamb from the black ewe’s dead womb I bring,
and stir the slow infernal tune
Fit for thy chosen priest.

Here where the band of Ocean breaks the road
Black-trodden, deeply-stooping, to the abyss,
I shall salute thee with the nameless kiss
Pronounced toward the uttermost abode
Of thy supreme desire.
I shall illume the fire
Whence thy wild stryges shall obey the lyre,
Whence thy Lemurs shall gather and spring round,
Girdling me in the sad funereal ground
With faces turnèd back,
My face averted! I shall consummate
The awful act of worship, O renowned
Fear upon earth, and fear in hell, and black
Fear in the sky beyond Fate!

I hear the whining of thy wolves!
I hear The howling of the hounds about thy form,
Who comest in the terror of thy storm,
And night falls faster ere thine eyes appear
Glittering through the mist.
O face of woman unkissed
Save by the dead whose love is taken ere they wist!
Thee, thee I call ! O dire one! O divine!
I, the sole mortal, seek thy deadly shrine,
Pour the dark stream of blood, A sleepy and reluctant river
Even as thou drawest, with thine eyes on mine,
To me across the sense-bewildering flood
That holds my soul for ever!

The night falls back ;
The shadows give place ;
The threefold form
Appears in the black,
As a direful face
Half seen in the storm.
I worship, I praise
The wonderful ways
Where the smitten rays
Of darkness sunder.
The hand is lifted ;
The gates are rifted ;
The sound is as thunder!
She comes to the summons,
Her face as a woman’s,
Her feet as a Fear’s,
Turned back on her path
For a sign of wrath :—
She appears, she appears!

(Excerpt from Orpheus, Aleister Crowley)

Afterwards, she should think of and commune with Morrigan, the Hag, the black goddess of terror and destruction. Meditation on Kali should help prepare the adept for this practice. One should surrender herself to darkness, and send her spirit on a journey through harsh places. Let her have faith that the grace of the goddess and her acquired insight will deliver her across the rivers of fear.

The experienced witch should confidently and resolutely accept the role of furious destroyer. With a vajra-like will, she should eliminate everything that appears before her, even her dearest beliefs and feelings. Let chaos bring you nightly visions of evil and look upon them without fear.

The adept is encouraged to break the order of her normal life and act outside the bounds of her ordinary conventions. She should feel free to act as a beast or a huntress or a devil. She should wear black instead of white for the ceremony; she should be prepared to deal with spirits and strange happenings. According to tradition, it is an auspicious time to tell fortunes and draw oracles.

One must maintain her inner sanctity through the nights of darkness, and begin again her walk of purity at the first crescent.

And thus may she grasp the celestial patterns of Life, yea and more, the patterns of Death, that these patterns may serve her as a map and a recipe in her execution of the Great Work, the fruits of which are True Wisdom and Perfect Happiness.

—☽○☾—

https://hermetic.com/dionysos/lunar  (original published form)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:03:11 pm by Olive »
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley