Author Topic: The Seven Psychological Compulsions  (Read 48 times)

Hapu

The Seven Psychological Compulsions
« on: January 16, 2020, 02:13:57 pm »
Each psychological compulsion is grounded in a particular self-deceit and culminates in a particular stupidity. The demonic attributions are my own, based on the Goetia and medieval demonology.

THE SEVEN PSYCHOLOGICAL COMPULSIONS

1. Greed - this compulsion is grounded in the self-deceit of false security and culminates in the stupidity of criminality. (No amount of wealth will forestall the day of doom.) The associated true indulgence is ambition. The Demon of Ambition is Clauneck.

2. Sloth - this compulsion is grounded in the self-deceit of false indifference and culminates in the stupidity of malingering. (Indifference toward something is false if one would delight in the thing if offered it for free.) The associated true indulgence is avocation. The Demon of Avocation is Belphegor.

3. Envy - this compulsion is grounded in the self-deceit of false entitlement and culminates in the stupidity of pettiness. (No one is automatically entitled to anything.) The associated true indulgence is competition. The Demon of Competition is Sabnock.   

4. Vanity - this compulsion is grounded in the self-deceit of false godhood and culminates in the stupidity of obnoxiousness. (No mortal is a god, I-Theism be damned.) The associated true indulgence is self-actualization. The Demon of Self-Actualization is Amdusias.

5. Gluttony - this compulsion is grounded in the self-deceit of false consolation and culminates in the stupidity of bingeing. (No amount of food or drink will console the emptiness of a bereft spirit.) The associated true indulgence is connoisseurship. The Demon of Connoisseurship is Seir.

6. Lust - this compulsion is grounded in the self-deceit of false manliness or false womanliness and culminates in the stupidity of unprotected sex or soap opera drama. (No amount of sexual activity will make you any more of a man or woman.) The associated true indulgence is Eros. The Demon of Eros is Saleos.

7. Malice - this compulsion is grounded in the self-deceit of false dignity and culminates in the stupidity of vendetta. (No amount of revenge will salve the perpetually butthurt.) The associated true indulgence is valor. The Demon of Valor is Beleth.

All seven true indulgences have economic ramifications. The Demon of Economics is Mammon and the other seven demons must first consult with Mammon before putting any plan into action.

Liu

Re: The Seven Psychological Compulsions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 09:25:02 am »
Some nice food for thought. There are some on this list that I'm not guilty of whatsoever, but also some where I am not so sure and where my reluctance to admit it might point to self-deceit. And some that I know that I'm guilty of.

It's interesting how Sloth, and in a different way also Greed, relate to stinginess, even though that seems like a different thing.

I'm not entirely sure about the difference between ambition and avocation, could you elaborate?

Why would Vanity/I-Theism lead to obnoxiousness? Well, my approach to it might rather have the goal of giving me a feeling of false security, which would be Greed.

Regarding Lust, I wonder what that has to do with manliness or womanliness. But if that's what it is, I guess the definition of Gluttony could instead be extended to also include bingeing on other things besides food/drink, e.g. on games or sexual activities. And also Gluttony seems to often be based on some form of false security. I wouldn't say it's only due to a feeling of emptiness, though, it can also be due to wanting too much of a good thing to the detriment of other good things - or is that, again, Greed?

Btw, a completely different approach to the 7 can be found in these music lyrics: https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Sicktanick/7-Vital-Sins
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:26:38 am by Liu »

Etu Malku

Re: The Seven Psychological Compulsions
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 12:09:23 am »
"The seven deadly sins of the Christian Church are: greed, pride, envy, anger, gluttony, lust, and sloth. Satanism advocates indulging in each of these "sins" as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification."

- Anton LaVey, The Satanic Bible

The Seven Deadly Sins
Published January 9, 2018 | By sectofthehornedgod

By Logan ~ Member of The Sect of the Horned God

Is it not as detrimental to indulge, as it is to abstain? Is the “over-correction” of a malady its salvation? I would venture to say it is not. The “Yin and Yang” of life ebbs and flows, like the cylindrical pendulum of life.  Is abstinence not the indulgence of inaction?

A man dying of thirst need not sink to the bottom of the ocean to quench it nor does he need to jump directly into a blazing fire to warm himself on a freezing winter night. Too much of anything is just too much. Now the rebellions and heretical nature of LaVey’s teachings would have us naturally gravitate to the opposite of the dogmatic Right-Hand Path. While there is justification clearly outlined in “The Satanic Bible,” I would also like to point out that this book was written during a time of great social reform in the United States.

Anton LaVey was a pioneer of the Left-Hand Path regarding Western thought. Both he and his teachings have stood the test of time and faced the scrutiny of over fifty years of interest, fear, and speculation. But I believe that as all things naturally evolve, so has our understanding of the Left-Hand Path. And of Satanism specifically. I believe both time and the devout practitioner of Satanism have both equally realized the folly of this philosophical polarity. I need not spray my arm with dry ice to treat a burn. Neither will I practice either indulgence or abstinence of anything. And this includes the infamous Seven Deadly Sins.

Satanism promotes logic and rational thought. It should not take the aspirant long to realize the potential dangers of mere contradiction. This is responding emotionally to an issue that can be circumnavigated logically.  To merely oppose an archaic or pseudo-sanctimonious dogma, is to simply rebel for rebellion's sake. Such a knee-jerk reaction can be exploited by the nefarious observer.  I cannot think of any self-respecting Satanist that will not take this into account.

Finally, the very word “Sin” is a misnomer in Satanic terms. If we refute the slavery of dogma and defy the oppression of the Right-Hand Path, how then can we use their terms without appearing subservient to them or even in rebellion?  The time has come for The Left-Hand Path to find the equilibrium of logic and belief within itself. We must break away from these simplistic ideas of “Sin” and “Hell.” These terms were coined and used by those who would enslave the world by its out-dated and simple fairy-tales.
IAMTHATIAMNOT