Boyd Rice's new book

• 5 Replies

Sutekh

Boyd Rice's new book
« on: January 11, 2020, 05:47:37 pm »
Been a bit of a while getting on here. But have many of you heard that Boyd Rice has written a new book of LaVey?

Have some of you read it yet? I am thinking about buying it, but I am not sure if it's worth the read.

Hapu

• View Profile
Re: Boyd Rice's new book
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 07:58:24 pm »
The Last Testament of Anton Szandor LaVey by Boyd Rice:
https://smile.amazon.com/Last-Testament-Anton-Szandor-LaVey/dp/1081044187/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=boyd+rice&qid=1578772337&sr=8-1

I haven't read it. Doubt I will, although the interview with Karla is tempting.

Cabshear

• Black Magician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 04:04:07 pm »
The book seems to radiate the same aura that many of the modern CoS books radiate. Re-hashing old essays from even older newsletters. Newsletters now defunct or dead in the water. IMO, many of the older members still holding on, after Blanche Barton sold the CoS rights to Gilmore, are trying to re-live the "golden days." Days when Satanism had some real vitality to it.

Blanche Barton has already jumped on the Amazon reviews and worked her lesser magic to prevent any critical information getting out about the current Church of Satan. While she was very cordial, she moved quick to suppress anything that would bring the credibility, of current Church of Satan, into question.

I learned a quick lesson when I was a part of the CoS. One book is all you need. No matter who writes it "The newest book" will always find a way to restate the information the 10 other books before it said. Infernalia was slightly different than Bearing the Devil's Mark and Bearing the Devil's Mark was a bit different than The Satanic Scriptures. The Satanic Scriptures was just a cobbling together of Gilmore's Black Flame essays. The only unique book out of the "cannon" was TSB.

I...The Aethyr of my Self as Dreamt in Perfection,
a Solitary and Nomadic Path, the Starlight to the Prism of the Mindstar. Not is my Name known.

-Variation on Andrew Chumbley's Azoetia Invocation

Onyx

• O.S. Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 04:29:30 pm »
I'm personally not really in the mood for yet another history lesson about the Church of Satan (or any other organization), but recognize the possible value of such books as historical records.

One problem for me is that opinions differ when it comes to Anton LaVey and the Church of Satan. Since everyone accuses everyone else of revisionism, who is one to believe?

If any significant tribute could have been made in LaVey's honor after his departure, it would have been a book containing diverse contributions from those who knew him and his legacy the best. But I doubt that will ever happen, and there is too much disagreement for me to believe one story over another.

So basically, fuck it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:39:06 pm by Onyx »

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 07:05:36 pm »
its a good book IMO

Onyx

• O.S. Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 06:34:03 am »
I'll check it out, my last post was a bit arrogant.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 06:36:22 am by Onyx »