Author Topic: Money  (Read 1390 times)

Hapu

Re: Money
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2020, 01:16:04 am »
Dear @Hapu, since I was unable to find a match, I was wondering if this Seal of Mammon is one of your own design or originated somewhere else. (It really doesn't matter as I prefer it to others I've seen, just curious.)

I found the image by googling. I tried just now to find it again and it was difficult. I finally found it but couldn't link to the page it was on. Something about CV Magazine.

I also found a picture of a metallic pendant with the image on it.

Onyx

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2020, 12:50:51 pm »
I couldn't help it.

Hapu

Re: Doxology of Mammon
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2020, 01:06:35 pm »
THE DOXOLOGY OF MAMMON

Gold be ascendant.
Mammon!
Gold over guns.
Mammon!
Gold over gods.
Mammon!
Gold over all.
Mammon!
His reign be everlasting.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:43:17 am by Hapu »

Hapu

Re: Mammon as Monopoly Man
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2020, 02:03:54 pm »
Aside from a wolf, I haven't found any suggestion as to what Mammon would look like. (He's not the Bull God. That's Moloch.) So I've decided to visualize Mammon as Monopoly Man. It seems the perfect image.

Onyx

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2020, 02:36:34 pm »
I like the idea. Monopoly had different game markers at different times, including an overflowing sack of cash.

Onyx

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 05:39:41 pm »
Speaking of Monopoly, let's not forget about wagers:

Over 25 years ago I was interested in a used (and rather obsolete) Commodore 128 desktop model, which had two main processors, two video processors, an audio synthesizer, and a built-in disk drive. It required a special monitor for the two video modes.

They wanted $200 for all of it, I talked them down to $80 for the computer and monitor. Good thing I did, as I blew up the extra video chip in attempts to create my own video modes. Otherwise the computer worked fine, but after that I was glad I paid the minimum price.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:45:48 pm by Onyx »

Liu

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2020, 09:44:55 am »
I don't believe magic can alter the physical plane. Do a thousand rituals and you won't succeed at changing the color of the carpet. But magic can certainly alter the anthropological plane. Do one ritual well and you may redirect the vectors of human processes and lo and behold, the old carpet will be replaced, and the new carpet will be the color you wanted.

I have heard claims for and against either working.
And I find it a tad difficult to see the exact border between the planes.
For example, I focus my magick mainly on the following things:
my physical well-being
my mental well-being (e.g. against anxiety)
randomness-factors in games

The first two out of necessity/to support other approaches, the last for the heck of it.

I think I have the most success in the 2nd realm, the least in the 1st. That would be in line with your belief, yet not with the mechanism behind it. Games are a part of the anthropological plane but randomness factors in them are completely independent from human action, and the body is a part of the physical plane but with doctors being part of the anthropological plane, there should be more opportunity for influencing the outcome.

I don't really do rituals, though, my approaches are mainly focused intention, spontaneous prayer, raising energy, scientifically proven methods like autogenic training, ... I have trouble getting into the proper mindset for a formal ritual.

Also, it's difficult to measure success. Perhaps I already have huge success with my magick and would be deadly sick without.

The difference to the pious (in your sense) person is which exactly? I can think of several points that may differ, but perhaps you want to explain it yourself which ones apply?

I don't understand your question. Difference between what and what?
Between a pious belief in the virtue of asceticism and your belief in the power of Mammon.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:47:21 am by Liu »

Hapu

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2020, 10:48:53 am »
I don't believe magic can alter the physical plane. Do a thousand rituals and you won't succeed at changing the color of the carpet. But magic can certainly alter the anthropological plane. Do one ritual well and you may redirect the vectors of human processes and lo and behold, the old carpet will be replaced, and the new carpet will be the color you wanted.

I have heard claims for and against either working.

You can let your own experience be the arbiter.

And I find it a tad difficult to see the exact border between the planes.
For example, I focus my magick mainly on the following things:
my physical well-being
my mental well-being (e.g. against anxiety)
randomness-factors in games

The first two out of necessity/to support other approaches, the last for the heck of it.

I think I have the most success in the 2nd realm, the least in the 1st.

To be expected. The 2nd realm is the subjective plane, where magic will always have the most success. The 1st realm is the physical plane, where magic will never work at all.

That would be in line with your belief, yet not with the mechanism behind it.

It entirely corroborates the mechanism I've suggested.

Games are a part of the anthropological plane but randomness factors in them are completely independent from human action

Not true. There is no such thing as true randomness. There is only human ignorance of the chain of causality.

...and the body is a part of the physical plane but with doctors being part of the anthropological plane, there should be more opportunity for influencing the outcome.

Good point. But there's another factor, which is the scope of the objective. If the field of medicine has not yet found a treatment for what ails you, doing magic to try to change that is to attempt something of colossal scope. The level of power required is beyond the potential of one magician working alone. You'd need an army.

I don't really do rituals, though, my approaches are mainly focused intention, spontaneous prayer, raising energy, scientifically proven methods like autogenic training, ... I have trouble getting into the proper mindset for a formal ritual.

My definition of ritual is simply, "doing magic." As far as I'm concerned, all the things you cited are rituals.

Also, it's difficult to measure success. Perhaps I already have huge success with my magick and would be deadly sick without.

That's doubtful. However, you're probably coping with your ailments much better as a result of your magic.

The difference to the pious (in your sense) person is which exactly? I can think of several points that may differ, but perhaps you want to explain it yourself which ones apply?

I don't understand your question. Difference between what and what?

Between a pious belief in the virtue of asceticism and your belief in the power of Mammon.

I'm not sure the word "pious" can be applied to belief. Piety is something we do. I don't think of belief as a form of action.

Piety is right hand action. It's action done to please a higher power. I don't care about pleasing Mammon. I align with Mammon because Mammon aligns with me.

Liu

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2020, 05:38:51 pm »
Not true. There is no such thing as true randomness. There is only human ignorance of the chain of causality.
Yes, but in the cases in question it seems purely dependent on the physical plane.
E.g., one game in which I had the impression of having quite some success with this was influencing random coin throws in Pokemon Trading Card Game Online, which I mainly played against other people.
Currently I mainly try to divine which direction to take in the randomly created maps in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, and my intuition for that seems not very good.

Where would be something on the anthropological plane to influence the randomness in these cases, except for, in the case of the coin throws, the magick of my opponent, which would actually make this more difficult?

...and the body is a part of the physical plane but with doctors being part of the anthropological plane, there should be more opportunity for influencing the outcome.
Good point. But there's another factor, which is the scope of the objective. If the field of medicine has not yet found a treatment for what ails you, doing magic to try to change that is to attempt something of colossal scope. The level of power required is beyond the potential of one magician working alone. You'd need an army.
Which means I shouldn't beat myself up for not managing to improve that part, and just continue trying what I can and take things as they come.

My definition of ritual is simply, "doing magic." As far as I'm concerned, all the things you cited are rituals.
I have a tendency to believe that I'm not actually practicing much but mainly being an armchair occultist (well I just like reading even if it may not be the most efficient way of learning this), so it's encouraging that you'd count these things as rituals.

That's doubtful. However, you're probably coping with your ailments much better as a result of your magic.
Yes, it doesn't seem likely to me either.
But it's certain that magick, or spirituality in general, is helping me coping.

I'm not sure the word "pious" can be applied to belief. Piety is something we do. I don't think of belief as a form of action.

Piety is right hand action. It's action done to please a higher power. I don't care about pleasing Mammon. I align with Mammon because Mammon aligns with me.
That once more shows me how rarely I have to do with RHP-practitioners. Can't remember the last time I heard someone say or imply they'd do something because their deity wants them to, except for when they truly cared about that deity and therefore liked doing something for it, or in the context of a deal with a deity.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:40:54 pm by Liu »

Onyx

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2020, 11:43:52 am »
New version.

Hapu

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 01:04:50 pm »
New version.

Even better than the old one! Nicely done.

I'd very much enjoy it if you included your image in the next TIS.

Onyx

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2020, 02:11:51 pm »
The whole idea would make for a great article, I'd be happy to assist. I like the seriousness combined with a sense of humor - Black Magic at it's finest. I'm wondering about the reverse side of the million-dollar bill, maybe do a stylized shopping cart, more Monopoly symbolism, etc. Perhaps "A Penny Saved is a Million Dollars not Earned".

Melias

• O.S. Member
  • Non Omnis Moriar - Embracing the Aeon of XOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2020, 03:52:10 pm »
This thread is one of the finest in the entire forum, I think. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the contributions and debate, including the more humorous parts; they all make it very special and also uncommon (in a good way). Definitely journal material.

Hapu

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 07:43:29 pm »
Just thought I'd mention that I have Alexa play this song every time I join the forum.

https://youtu.be/sndo_wdc384

Hapu

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2020, 09:34:22 pm »
My son-in-law unexpectedly gifted me with a $150 pair of sneakers! He got a deal on them but that too is Mammon.

Thank you Mammon!

Also I received my Mammon pendant in the mail today. See pic.