Author Topic: Xeper - What does it mean in your practice?  (Read 627 times)

Km Anu

• O.S. Member
  • Never will his wrath or might extort from me
    • View Profile
Re: Xeper - What does it mean in your practice?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 02:16:05 pm »
Xeper does happen on it's own, but often these moments are rather subtle or fleeting "ah-ha" thoughts in the mind. So understanding the process of Xeper and Remanifestation is crucial in terms of identifying when and why it is occurring, and how one might "grab the Devil by the horns" to make the most of it.

It comes recommended that I keep a magical journal instead of relying totally on memory, as I tend to be forgetful. I do keep many notes in the form of random text files, but I suppose it's high time I got organized.

I just had an aha moment considering the similarities between Xeper and Rūna.

I had problems with using my journal until I got rid of my phone. Now I keep a small leather bound journal and pen in my back pocket as well as a printout of a couple pdf chapters of something I'm reading. When I get an idle moment I'll review and expand on my notes, and if uts a long moment I'll read and take notes, automatic draw, craft sigils,  make an entry, what ever. It's become an extension of my mind now, and it only takes about two months to fill one.

Onyx

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 03:34:03 pm »
When it comes to exploring the facets of Xeper, one would be remiss not to grab a copy of Uncle Setnakt's Guide To The Left Hand Path by Don Webb of the Temple of Set. There are many interesting ideas in that book. On pages 37-38, he suggests learning about one's heritage, an excerpt:

Quote from: Don Webb
It would be sheer folly not to discover what magical treasures you may already possess because of your physical heritage.

I know that both of my great-grandfathers came to Ellis Island from Germany and Greece, but not much more. My late mother did write a paper about the history on her side of the family (Greek), but I know little more. The officials shortened the ~20 character Greek name down to five (fortunately I have the full name).

I've glossed over the idea of doing in-depth research into my ancestry, thinking it not to be of much significance. But Mr. Webb calls that "sheer folly", and perhaps he's correct. There seems to be more than meets the eye when it comes to the phrase "that was then, this is now".
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 03:35:35 pm by Onyx »

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 11:28:47 am »
When it comes to exploring the facets of Xeper, one would be remiss not to grab a copy of Uncle Setnakt's Guide To The Left Hand Path by Don Webb of the Temple of Set. There are many interesting ideas in that book. On pages 37-38, he suggests learning about one's heritage, an excerpt:

Quote from: Don Webb
It would be sheer folly not to discover what magical treasures you may already possess because of your physical heritage.

I've been pondering the above off and on for the last few days, trying to connect the concepts of ancestry and Xeper in my mind.

Initially I saw these two facts as unassailable:
1. I did not become my daughters.
2. My parents did not become me.

Yet these two facts seemed equally unassailable:
1. Gametes from my ex-wife and I were integral to my daughters coming into being.
2. Gametes from my parents were integral to me coming into being.

Xeper is a river on which we sail our boats for a time, and one of the currents in that river is ancestry.

I know that both of my great-grandfathers came to Ellis Island from Germany and Greece, but not much more.

Mine (on my father's father's side) came to Ellis Island from Italy. I don't have any genealogical data on my father's mother or either of my mother's parents, one of whom (her father) was adopted. But I had my DNA analyzed and the numbers show a preponderance of Italian genes.

I've never felt any connection to Italy, or to my ancestry in general. But the older I get, the more connected I feel to my father, my mother, and my father's forebears (not my mother's). Meanwhile, my father passed away a few years ago.

Incidentally, among people who hope reincarnation is true, there are two competing speculations:
1. Reincarnation is not at all tied to ancestry.
2. Reincarnation is tied completely to ancestry, such that, all of our prior selves were ancestors of ours.

#2 is most common among people who are trying to reconstruct indigenous European styles of paganism, and also among people who are following African or Asian styles of paganism that don't need to be reconstructed because they never died.
Slither whither thou wouldst.

Hapu

• O.S. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 11:40:22 am »
"Xepera Xeper Xeperu"

"Urd Verdandi Skuld"

A strange parallel, no?

Indigenous Nordic paganism posits three Norns or Fates:
1. Urd: "That which has come into being."
2. Verdandi: "That which is coming into being."
3. Skuld: "That which must come into being."

I'm not committed to the Temple of Set's translation of ancient Egyptian words, so I'm free to speculate along these lines.

Xepera <--> Urd

Xeper <--> Verdandi

Xeperu <--> Skuld

By the way, does anyone know if the ancient Egyptians used pronouns?

Km Anu

• O.S. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 11:53:02 am »

Yes, becoming as examined in its entirety.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 02:50:40 pm »
"Xepera Xeper Xeperu"

"Urd Verdandi Skuld"

A strange parallel, no?

Indigenous Nordic paganism posits three Norns or Fates:

I'm not committed to the Temple of Set's translation of ancient Egyptian words, so I'm free to speculate along these lines.

Xepera <--> Urd

Xeper <--> Verdandi

Xeperu <--> Skuld

By the way, does anyone know if the ancient Egyptians used pronouns?

That's insanely cool!!! Also the translation is actually from Budge and appears accurate.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Setamontet

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2019, 03:06:11 pm »
An interesting side note, I remember one of Don Webb's simpler translations of Xepera Xeper Xeperu = "The Self-Created god Creates Creations".

"From the Ninth Angle is the flame of the beginning and ending of dimensions,
which blazeth in brilliance and darkness unto the glory of desire." - Michael Aquino

Setamontet

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2019, 03:32:07 pm »
When I was an Initiate of the Temple of Set I was also a member of its Order of Leviathan, and one of the translations of the Aeonic Formulae that stuck with me is - Xepera-Xeper-Xeperu = "I Have Come Into Being And By The Process Of Remanifestation I Have Become The Creator Of That Which Has Come Into Being."  Remanifestation is also known as the Word of Leviathan.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 03:37:22 pm by Setamontet »

"From the Ninth Angle is the flame of the beginning and ending of dimensions,
which blazeth in brilliance and darkness unto the glory of desire." - Michael Aquino

Etu Malku

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2019, 03:59:45 pm »
The original and complete mantra is:

Kheper-i kheper kheperu kheper-kuie em kheperu en Khepri kheper em Sep Tepy

“I Became and the Becoming became. I Became by becoming the form of Khepra, god of transformations, who came into being in the First Time.”
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Hapu

• O.S. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 11:23:08 am »
My apologies but I can't get this out of my head. Understand that I'm not trying to say the ancient Egyptians meant what I'm saying here. I have no idea what they meant. It doesn't matter in the context of my current project. I'm offering a new meaning for modern times.

URD: "I am that which has come into being." --> XEPERA

VERDANDI: "I am that which eternally comes into being." --> XEPER

SKULD: "I am that which must come into being because of that which has come into being." --> XEPERU

Do you see how the Ouroboros eats its tail?

What we have here is an echo of Egypt intersecting with an echo of Thursatru (not Asatru and I'll explain why) intersecting with Pre-Socratic Greek Philosophy (Heraclitus: flux) intersecting with an echo of Baruch Spinoza (pantheism).

Why Thursatru? Two reasons:
1. The Norns were giantesses
2. Loki plays into all this

Why Loki? Let me digress to consider Set. Some might like to discard the later Egyptian view of Set. I, on the other hand, see it as the crux of his evolving cult in modern times. In the later Egyptian view of Set, he represented fire, trickery, storms, envy, war, drunkenness, confusion, disarray, lawlessness, foreigners, and the terrible desert. What do all of these have in common? They are all catalysts of change.   

Do the foregoing attributes remind you of Loki? Some of them certainly should. And what is Loki but the great and cosmic catalyst of change? What else is Ragnarok but the instrument whereby massive transformation is imposed upon the world?

More on this in a later post. I'm still processing a lot of it.

Km Anu

• O.S. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 03:11:19 pm »
My apologies but I can't get this out of my head. Understand that I'm not trying to say the ancient Egyptians meant what I'm saying here. I have no idea what they meant. It doesn't matter in the context of my current project. I'm offering a new meaning for modern times.

URD: "I am that which has come into being." --> XEPERA

VERDANDI: "I am that which eternally comes into being." --> XEPER

SKULD: "I am that which must come into being because of that which has come into being." --> XEPERU

Do you see how the Ouroboros eats its tail?

What we have here is an echo of Egypt intersecting with an echo of Thursatru (not Asatru and I'll explain why) intersecting with Pre-Socratic Greek Philosophy (Heraclitus: flux) intersecting with an echo of Baruch Spinoza (pantheism).

Why Thursatru? Two reasons:
1. The Norns were giantesses
2. Loki plays into all this

Why Loki? Let me digress to consider Set. Some might like to discard the later Egyptian view of Set. I, on the other hand, see it as the crux of his evolving cult in modern times. In the later Egyptian view of Set, he represented fire, trickery, storms, envy, war, drunkenness, confusion, disarray, lawlessness, foreigners, and the terrible desert. What do all of these have in common? They are all catalysts of change.   

Do the foregoing attributes remind you of Loki? Some of them certainly should. And what is Loki but the great and cosmic catalyst of change? What else is Ragnarok but the instrument whereby massive transformation is imposed upon the world?

More on this in a later post. I'm still processing a lot of it.

You're completely right, Michael Kelly talks about these connections in both Apophis and Aegishjalmur, they're a key component to the draconian system.

Edit: if this is what you're studying right now, it's what I'm studying too, we should share notes.

Hapu

• O.S. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 08:12:36 pm »
You're completely right

Wow! It's rare to read those words on an Internet message board.

Michael Kelly talks about these connections in both Apophis and Aegishjalmur, they're a key component to the draconian system.

Edit: if this is what you're studying right now, it's what I'm studying too, we should share notes.

Here's the thing. I was aware of Michael Kelly and had started reading something of his, but it didn't grab me. Yet just now I did a search for "Michael Kelly Apophis" on Amazon and found a book titled "The Apophis Lectures" which was published this year. I started reading a bit of it, and lo and behold, what I'm reading is perfectly - and I mean perfectly - aligned with some writings of my own that I recently shared with the founders of the Order of the Serpent. Who knew? I certainly didn't. I hadn't the slightest idea until now.

I'll probably be buying the book. Have you read it? I may start an ongoing thread to log my thoughts as I read the book.

Km Anu

• O.S. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 11:54:06 pm »
You're completely right

Wow! It's rare to read those words on an Internet message board.

Michael Kelly talks about these connections in both Apophis and Aegishjalmur, they're a key component to the draconian system.

Here's the thing. I was aware of Michael Kelly and had started reading something of his, but it didn't grab me. Yet just now I did a search for "Michael Kelly Apophis" on Amazon and found a book titled "The Apophis Lectures" which was published this year. I started reading a bit of it, and lo and behold, what I'm reading is perfectly - and I mean perfectly - aligned with some writings of my own that I recently shared with the founders of the Order of the Serpent. Who knew? I certainly didn't. I hadn't the slightest idea until now.

I'll probably be buying the book. Have you read it? I may start an ongoing thread to log my thoughts as I read the book.

Read and worked through it, definately.  There is a really good article in TIS IV about them.

I worked through Apophis before reading Aegishjalmur, but I wish I had read them at the same time. The latter compliments the former better than it holds up as a standalone text.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:56:16 pm by Km Anu »

Onyx

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 05:11:44 am »
(Disclaimer: I'm a lousy historian.)

Quote from: Etu Malku
The original and complete mantra is:

Kheper-i kheper kheperu kheper-kuie em kheperu en Khepri kheper em Sep Tepy

"I Became and the Becoming became. I Became by becoming the form of Khepra, god of transformations, who came into being in the First Time."

I don't know the origin of that exact translation, but it's close to one from Gods of the Egyptians by E. A. Wallis Budge.

In the text the words are placed in the mouth of the god Neb-er-tcher, the lord of the universe and a form of the Sun-god Ra, who says, "I am he who came into being in the form of the god Khepera, and I was the creator of that which came into being, that is to say, I was the creator of everything which came into being; now when I had come into being myself, the things which I created and which came forth from out of my mouth were very many.

In relation to the mantra, two creation myths are mentioned in the book. From the second one (with slight modifications for readability):

[1] The Book of knowing the evolutions of Ra (and) of overthrowing Apep. [2] The words of Neb-er-tcher. [3] He says: "I was (or, the creator became) of what came into being in the forms of Khepera coming into being in primeval time."

(Translated from: [1] Shat ent rekh kheperu nu Ra sekher Apep. [2] Tchettu Neb-er-tcher [3] Tchet-f kheper-a kheper kheperu kheperu-k(u)a em kheperu en Khepera kheper em sep tepi.)

On the surface this might all seem a bit "right-hand path", however the story takes on a different meaning when placed into the contexts of the Subjective Universe and Auto-Theism.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:59:50 pm by Onyx »

Liu

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 07:05:03 am »
Read and worked through it, definately.  There is a really good article in TIS IV about them.

I worked through Apophis before reading Aegishjalmur, but I wish I had read them at the same time. The latter compliments the former better than it holds up as a standalone text.
I quite like Kelly's writing.

What would you count as "worked though", though? I always get stuck at the first or second head as many of the exercises are too difficult (or depend on not easily available ingredients like involving a second person). I know you don't have to do all of them to continue, but only managing a minority and still continuing seems like cheating.
(Also, as you may have noticed, I have trouble committing to a textbook/regular practice schedule, not just in this context).