Author Topic: Admins bumping thread - yes or no?  (Read 200 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Admins bumping thread - yes or no?
« on: November 10, 2019, 02:11:56 pm »
Which do you prefer?

1. Let dead threads lay, people can go back and find them to respond.

2. Bump previous popular, unanswered, or simply interesting/important threads now and then so new members can see or to spur further discussion.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
Re: Admins bumping thread - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 02:17:57 pm »
Which do you prefer?

1. Let dead threads lay, people can go back and find them to respond.

2. Bump previous popular, unanswered, or simply interesting/important threads now and then so new members can see or to spur further discussion.

Periodic bumping is my pick.

To search for something, one has to have an inkling it might exist. The unimagined will never be searched for.

Slither whither thou wouldst.

Onyx

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 02:24:27 pm »
Everyone, please go ahead and bump threads per your discretion. It doesn't hurt anything. Just type "bump" and submit. This way important topics don't get passed by. Thank you.

Edit: What I meant was to bump original threads that weren't responded to, especially if questions have gone unanswered.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:17:30 am by Onyx »

Liu

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 07:45:23 pm »
I'd say only bump them if you have an idea for the direction that thread could be taking.

Having a lot of bumped threads can distract from the still active ones.

idgo

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 04:31:39 am »
Bumping, with "bump", obscures worthwhile discourse.

However, commenting in threads which deserve more attention has all of the merits discussed above.

What could we possibly do about this?

How about "bumping" threads by adding actual content to them? If a question remains unanswered, how about rephrasing the question or adding detail to it to turn the whole thread into something which might do better at sparking a discussion? If a topic warrants further thought, how about typing out the questions that it seems to warrant further thought about?

If you simply feel surprise at a post not having been discussed better, why not write down what surprise it causes you to experience and why you would have expected it to be more popular?

If the only thought in your mind upon seeing an old post is "bump", the post is likely not worth saving.

If a post inspires thoughts yet you cannot be bothered to write them down, posting a non-comment on it is worse than useless.