Author Topic: The history of the Sigil of Baphomet  (Read 1080 times)

Sutekh

The history of the Sigil of Baphomet
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:59:55 pm »
I would like to learn more about the history of the Sigil of Baphomet, since some of you may have the knowledge of the symbol.  I understand that Stanislas who developed the Sammael/Lilith pentagram later evolved as a Sigil of Baphomet. What I was wandering, is did LaVey evolved the sigil by taking out the names or did someone else did before LaVey? I have heard about some individual known as Maurice Bessy who was connected I believe in modifying the Sigil.
"Our collective ambition is that the membership of the Order of the Serpent also serves as guardians of the Black Flame and collaborates with the Prince of Darkness in the Infernal Mandate of re-creating the Cosmos in the eternal glory of the Setian Will!"-Setamontet

Xepera-maSet

Re: The history of the Sigil of Baphomet
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:50:03 pm »
Levi made the Samael/Lilith pentagram I believe, which did contain the leviathan. Literally all LaVey did was remove the two names then copyright the thing, classic CoS.

W_Adam_Smythe

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 11:39:25 am »
I have seen the Stanislas verison with the Sammael/Lillith version but did not take the time to research where it came from so thank you for providing the name Stanislas.

The Oswald Wirth Baphomet also came before the Maurice Bessy one if I remember correctly.

Maurice Bessy's version first appeared on the cover of the book A Pictorial History Of Magic And The Supernatural. Initially, LaVey used that very book to set up the altar with. Likewise, if you look at any altar pictures from the Black House, eventually he had an altar piece made as an exact replica of the Bessy version.

The Bessy version got "cleaned up" a bit for the publishing of The Satanic Bible. Now, how that Gilmore and his company Hells Kitchen Production claims to have been the ones to "clean it up", I would have no idea since Gilmore had nothing to do with the CoS at the time of TSB publication. I have also seen a hand drawn variation by Anton Lavey. While based off of the Bessy version, it is apparent that he was also not the one who "cleaned up" the image. So, on that, my only guess could be that it was someone at Avon Books.  Having said that, the short answer to your question is no, LaVey didn't take anything away from the Stanislas version. Nor did he add or take anything away from the Bessy version. He simply used the Bessy version.

An interesting side note is that the book A Pictorial History Of Magic And The Supernatural makes no mention of Bessy's version. Did Bessy create it himself for the cover? Why were the names Sammael/Lillith taken out of the version on the cover? What is the explanation of it being on the cover? Bessy's book answers none of these questions. It is as though that the design is supposed to speak for itself.

On a final note concerning the copyright issue to the Sigil of Baphomet-Bessy version. The Church of Satan does not own copyright to it. You cannot copyright a religious symbol. It would be like Catholics trying to copyright a crucifix. My understanding is that they trademarked the design when in use with the words The Church of Satan, but even that would appear to be shaky. I know two distributors of Sigil of Baphomet medallions that are not CoS affiliated. I know that the CoS tried to take one of them to court and lost. I am not sure if they even tried to challenge the other one legally.

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 03:39:21 pm »
I have seen the Stanislas verison with the Sammael/Lillith version but did not take the time to research where it came from so thank you for providing the name Stanislas.

The Oswald Wirth Baphomet also came before the Maurice Bessy one if I remember correctly.

Maurice Bessy's version first appeared on the cover of the book A Pictorial History Of Magic And The Supernatural. Initially, LaVey used that very book to set up the altar with. Likewise, if you look at any altar pictures from the Black House, eventually he had an altar piece made as an exact replica of the Bessy version.

The Bessy version got "cleaned up" a bit for the publishing of The Satanic Bible. Now, how that Gilmore and his company Hells Kitchen Production claims to have been the ones to "clean it up", I would have no idea since Gilmore had nothing to do with the CoS at the time of TSB publication. I have also seen a hand drawn variation by Anton Lavey. While based off of the Bessy version, it is apparent that he was also not the one who "cleaned up" the image. So, on that, my only guess could be that it was someone at Avon Books.  Having said that, the short answer to your question is no, LaVey didn't take anything away from the Stanislas version. Nor did he add or take anything away from the Bessy version. He simply used the Bessy version.

An interesting side note is that the book A Pictorial History Of Magic And The Supernatural makes no mention of Bessy's version. Did Bessy create it himself for the cover? Why were the names Sammael/Lillith taken out of the version on the cover? What is the explanation of it being on the cover? Bessy's book answers none of these questions. It is as though that the design is supposed to speak for itself.

On a final note concerning the copyright issue to the Sigil of Baphomet-Bessy version. The Church of Satan does not own copyright to it. You cannot copyright a religious symbol. It would be like Catholics trying to copyright a crucifix. My understanding is that they trademarked the design when in use with the words The Church of Satan, but even that would appear to be shaky. I know two distributors of Sigil of Baphomet medallions that are not CoS affiliated. I know that the CoS tried to take one of them to court and lost. I am not sure if they even tried to challenge the other one legally.

I meant my welcome before, but welcome to the forum!!!

W_Adam_Smythe

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:56:13 am »
Something a bit off topic, but may be of interest. One other thing that should be noted is that NO ONE within the CoS today owns copyright to The Satanic Bible. That was part of LaVey's estate that was split up between Karla, Zeena, and Dianne.