Author Topic: Don Webb books, which to read first?  (Read 352 times)

ZauGhash

Don Webb books, which to read first?
« on: November 17, 2019, 01:13:38 am »
Hey all, I recently decided to go ahead and purhcase a few of Don Webb's books, The Seven Faces of Darkness and Uncle Setnakt's Essential Guide to the Left Hand Path.

I'm pretty excited to dive in but was wondering if any of you recommended reading one before the other?
Ordinary Morality is only for ordinary people
~ Aleister Crowley

Beleren777

Re: Don Webb books, which to read first?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 01:30:56 pm »
The Essential Guide for sure. It has some editorial issues IMHO, but despite this it covers the core of LHP practice very well. There are a lot of rabbit holes to follow as well if you are inclined to do research alongside of the main reading.

X

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:55:31 pm »
For Webb himself probably the essential guide or mysteries. 7 faces is the best though

MRT

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 05:00:39 pm »
I've read mysteries of The Temple of Set by him which i kinda liked.
I have his book of Set, together with Judith Page but i still have to read it.
(very big 'to read' list most of the time)

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 06:00:56 pm »
Oh yeah! I forget Set the Outsider is Webb since it's really a bunch of authors. For me that book seemed good but I, personally, had already had the information and so it was a bit slow. I like Webb's content but his writing style never fully clicked for me.

Some of his weird fiction is fantastic though!

MRT

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 06:05:37 pm »
I recently heared an interview with him on youtube.
Sounded like a very nice guy.

ZauGhash

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 06:39:13 pm »
Thanks everyone, much appreciated! Going by your responses, I'll start with the Essential Guide first then go on to the 7 Faces of Darkness.

I'm currently in the middle of reading Michael Aquino's Black Magick PDF and have found it to be pretty informative. My only complaint about Aquino's writing style is I feel he uses a lot of big words which essentially act as fluff resulting in him just tip-toeing around the core topic; regardless, the section on LBM for me was really good. Looking forward to his take on GBM.

I've been doing a lot of research on Setianism in general lately, next up I plan on doing a bunch of reading pertaining to Luciferianism. I view Lucifer as an actual deity, who I believe was my first contact with any deity when I was young and dumb, and messing around with stuff I shouldn't have been messing with, but that is for another topic completely.  :thumbsup: 8)
~ Aleister Crowley

MRT

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 06:49:20 pm »
Haha reminds me of my first steps into the areas of magic etc.
I also sensed Lucifer strongly around me but i was to afraid to make contact back then :P

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 06:55:19 pm »
I was a Luciferian for a while myself between Satanism and Setianism.

ZauGhash

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 02:11:49 am »
For me I've always kind of identified myself as a Satanist, the way LaVey portrays things, except for the fact I'm not an atheist, but the general principal of seeing ourselves as our own God and bettering ourselves through our own consciousness, learning, etc...

So I've been searching for what seems right to me regarding my own beliefs, but like someone mentioned above, one rabbit hole always seems to lead to another rabbit hole when pertaining to anything Occult wise lol. Don't know if I could ever dedicate myself to one particular thing like Setianism or Satanism, I'm all over the place  :P which in conclusion is why I find this website and the members so fascinating, albeit extremely helpful at that.
~ Aleister Crowley