Author Topic: A Thoth centered Setianism?  (Read 531 times)

Xepera-maSet

A Thoth centered Setianism?
« on: June 03, 2019, 11:21:06 pm »
This is something I've played with a lot, and Thoth has always kind of been the right hand of Set for me. Technically in myths he is Set's son almost, or Sets and Horus'. He's the balance between them. It's almost like the two separate dualities creating a unity which we currently find ourselves in.

It's almost like Slavic myth where the Supreme god becomes opposites, but the opposites came first. Likewise all other gods would be tied back to these 3, same as in Slavic culture.

Xepera-maSet

Re: A Thoth centered Setianism?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 12:54:56 am »
Honestly I guess I mean LHP monism.

Liu

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 05:06:06 pm »
Honestly I guess I mean LHP monism.
That might be why I think that idea of a Thoth-centered LHP sounds quite interesting.
I've never specifically worked with him but he's certainly among the deities I like.

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 06:13:13 pm »
Over the past years I become ever so slowly more and more monist, and each of those steps brings Thoth right to my mind.

The reason I bring it up now is I was guest speaking last night and the class was asking morality. Like how can a LHP obey a moral like "don't kill in cold blood" without that being somehow RHP. And it kind of surprised me I hadn't thought it. My explanation was to pull up a Ying Yang and describe the LHP as the black side with the white dot. It's just a matter of which way you DEDICATE yourself and what your goals are. So sure, maybe me believing murder is objectively wrong is "RHP" in that it's a law I follow, but still it only stems from and feeds my LHP ideology (I believe it's wrong because of LHP values).

It made me realize that while I still don't believe in a middle path it's not so strictly one or the other. Then I brought up watching TV at night to relax and how it's osirian, and the connection was even more clear. It's about which you're most committed to.

crossfire

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 08:13:34 pm »
This is something I've played with a lot, and Thoth has always kind of been the right hand of Set for me. Technically in myths he is Set's son almost, or Sets and Horus'. He's the balance between them. It's almost like the two separate dualities creating a unity which we currently find ourselves in.

It's almost like Slavic myth where the Supreme god becomes opposites, but the opposites came first. Likewise all other gods would be tied back to these 3, same as in Slavic culture.
In the Pyramid Texts, Thoth is referred to as "The One-who-separates-the Quarrelers."  (Utterance 257, verse 306)
Thoth is older than Set, as Thoth is the one who gambled with the moon to win 5 days worth of light to add to the year so the goddess Nut could give birth to Osiris, Isis, Horus the Elder, Set, and Nephthys on each of these 5 days, as she was cursed with sterility on all of the 360 days of the year (before Thoth added the 5 days to it.)
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

Inlustratus

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:33:08 pm »
the right hand of Set

More like left hand path  ;)

Sorry
*scary satanic text*

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 08:33:21 pm »
It's weird though cause elsewhere Thoth comes form Horus and Set, also in the texts haha. As the one who separates he seems to have an equally if not more important role than Set, causing this creation in the first place with it's [seeming?] dualities.

Liu

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 05:25:35 am »
It's weird though cause elsewhere Thoth comes form Horus and Set, also in the texts haha. As the one who separates he seems to have an equally if not more important role than Set, causing this creation in the first place with it's [seeming?] dualities.
Mythology contradicts itself if it needs two contradicting stories relating two things.

One of the better-known examples is the many origin stories of Eros - either as the first of all gods, or a child of Nyx and sibling of Eris etc., or as a child of 'need' and 'possibility', or of Aphrodite and Ares, ...

So I wouldn't focus too much on whether Thoth is older or younger than Set, but what story means to me.

You could also see them as two different Thoths if you like - Thoth the elder and Thoth the younger, so to speak.

And if we then get into Hermeticism and how Thoth is equated with Hermes...

heh

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 04:11:41 am »
For my workings, Thoth operates as the synergistic wisdom which emanates from the conflict of Set and Horus.

Km Anu

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 05:30:27 am »
For my workings, Thoth operates as the synergistic wisdom which emanates from the conflict of Set and Horus.

In my work Thoth represents previous and future consciousness, or the wisdom of past and future experiences. Regardless of mythology, in my life Thoth has always either presented as a teacher or an intermediary for another teacher. I suppose in the way the concepts of communication are presented and it is easy to associate Thoth with bridging connections between isolate intelligence and Apep. I'll also add that Dḥwtj is very reminiscent of Duat, a similarity that may have formed from his role as a psycho-pomp. Ma'at has balancing aspects of morality to support these teachings. And while none of this is very good evidence supporting Thoth as a Monotheistic entity, Focusing attention and worship exclusively on Thoth separately from his aspect may allow for a system of belief benefiting those who do not worship the Neteru but consider them as branches of the OU, more like laws.