Author Topic: If you could only learn one thing about a system of belief to judge it by...  (Read 663 times)

idgo

...what question would you find most useful to ask of it?

I'm particularly curious as to whether "list what this system believes to be true" or "list what this system believes to be false" would be more useful for characterizing and categorizing diverse perspectives.

ManMadeGod

I might go with a variation of "What does the system define as Good/Moral" although admittedly this would only be able to judge belief systems that have some form of morality. I also think the best question depends on whether or not it is the average practitioner answering-- a follower of a system is more likely to describe their system in favorable terms, so in that situation I think I like your idea better. Furthermore, if the answer comes from the practitioner they would select the most important Truths or Falsehoods which help illustrate the mindset of the belief system more than a dispassionate list of principles might.

Liu

It's a fairly specific question, but: What can this belief system me with (or people in general doesn't count).

idgo

It's a fairly specific question, but: What can this belief system me with (or people in general doesn't count).

Did the computer eat a word of that? It looks to me to be missing a key word, maybe "help" but could be anything :)

Xepera-maSet

I would ask how their beliefs make them act, what objective events in the the world those beliefs inspire.

Km Anu

I would ask "why are people born?" Although if the system has like a clergy of sorts he would likely be the only one able to answer with enough accuracy to judge the whole system even a little. I think. There are several questions poked by that one itself.

Liu

Did the computer eat a word of that? It looks to me to be missing a key word, maybe "help" but could be anything :)
Yes, my phone's swype-autocomplete likes eating words, I should have re-read before posting.
And you filled in the blank correctly. But there were more words missing.

So, for the record:

What can this belief system help me with (or people in general if that doesn't count).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:58:37 pm by Liu »

Deidre

Does it create selflessness or selfishness?
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

Onyx

I'll have to paraphrase, but M.A. once said something along the lines of: What is the purpose and consequence of our existence, and if there is a way to know, how do we find it?

Then there is having a perspective of doubt versus blind faith. Does a school of thought promote one or the other, or a mix? (A little truth, a little fantasy?)

Quote from: Deidre

I seek balance between the two rather than being reckless in one direction or the other.

Deidre

I'll have to paraphrase, but M.A. once said something along the lines of: What is the purpose and consequence of our existence, and if there is a way to know, how do we find it?

Then there is having a perspective of doubt versus blind faith. Does a school of thought promote one or the other, or a mix? (A little truth, a little fantasy?)

Quote from: Deidre

I seek balance between the two rather than being reckless in one direction or the other.

Well, I think we're inherently self-centered, not that it's always such a bad thing, but we don't need to add to it, deliberately. lol (just my opinion)

If the world was more selfless, maybe we'd see less wars, strife, poverty, greed, etc. It seems that way, anyway...maybe I'm being too simplistic.
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black