Author Topic: Kelly's Draconian Quadrilogy (Apophis, Ægishjálmur etc)  (Read 166 times)

Liu

Kelly's Draconian Quadrilogy (Apophis, Ægishjálmur etc)
« on: August 10, 2019, 02:12:31 pm »
I read Apophis and Ægishjálmur, or at least major chunks thereof, a couple years ago.
Since I considered them among the best manuals on occultism I have read, and since I can very much identify with the draconian symbolism of their focus, I intend to re-read them, and to this time also put their instructions into practice a bit more, or at least to discuss them with you here when I find the exercises to be difficult to pursue, to see whether I'm just not trying hard enough or whether some of you here have alternative suggestions that fit my needs better.

Since I recently noticed that these two books and two others by Kelly have been published in a single volume as the Draconian Quadrilogy, I acquired a copy for a reasonable price, and now I read (or re-read) the first chapter of Apophis and leafed a bit through the rest.

I remember someone here mentioned they had worked through the whole of Apophis, which I found most curious as even several of the exercises in the first chapters seemed very difficult to combine with my life situation, so I was surprised that someone found all exercises to be pursueable.

In the chapter on the first head, there for example are several exercises on "testing your limits", two of which make it necessary to involve another person, something which I would like to avoid.
One of the two is about walking as long as one can, and having a reliable acquaintance pick one up when one is exhausted, who therefore needs to be able to drive a car (in order to pick one up wherever one is). Most people in my social environment don't even have a driver's license, and the one who has and whom I might consider involving is afraid of driving at night and doesn't like driving routes she doesn't know yet, so I can't ask her about that either.
Also, considering my current health, I would judge it recommendable to skip all of the exercises in that section for the time being, with the exception of the last one, on chastity, which I am experimenting with anyway. But well, I guess I can nevertheless start with other exercises of that chapter in the hopes that once I'm through all of them I'll also be fit again to pursue those. I currently sleep so much that I have trouble finding time for my normal meditation routine, and when I do I'm often so tired that I can't focus on it, but at least the first exercise (the section "posture and breath") is supposed to only take 10 minutes per day, so let's see whether I can do that.

Not on the exercises, but on more general notions:
The first chapter is mainly about a trinity of deities with which the reader is expected to work, which I would identify as 1. awareness and self-awareness, 2. feeling/desire/will, and 3. the subconscious plus objective existence.

That 2nd deity is called the scarlet woman or daemon lover, depending on gender etc., but while reading the section on it I found it quite difficult to grasp what the author is talking about as he mainly talks about sexual and romantic desire (or one of them, he doesn't make a difference) towards other people, neither of which I can relate to. So I'm not entirely convinced about why to make a difference between the 2nd and the 3rd deity, especially since he describes that 2nd deity as the object of desire, and not the desire itself.
The difference between the 1st and the 3rd is much clearer, but it would need to take quite a bit of getting used to to not associate them with one and the same deity.

So, TL/DR: Has any of you read any of Kelly's works, and what are your thoughts about them, and especially about the aspects of them I mentioned above?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:03:01 am by Liu »

Liu

Re: Kelly's Draconian Quadrilogy (Apophis, Ægishjálmur etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 05:15:52 pm »
Started with the first exercises - posture and breath.
And wow are the suggested postures uncomfortable. Have only tried three of the five yet, but those two with raised arms I can hardly hold for 3 minutes due to my shoulders hurting. The author says going for a walk every day suffices as physical exercise, but I'm doing that anyway to get to work and back (~12 minutes each), and some other exercising on top, and it seems like it is not enough.

Had the same problem with the yoni mudra pose in Mumford's Kundalini Workbook which I was in the process of working through until recently when I came to the conclusion that I simply can't do 25 minutes of meditation in the morning (plus 30 in the evening) when getting to bed at 9pm and still hardly getting out of bed on time to be at work at 9am.

And the two kneeling postures I tried are also really uncomfortable in my knees - I have joint problems, so might not be healthy.

Any recommendations for getting more comfortable with such postures?

One other option would be to simply try another set of postures.
As I mentioned in the reading thread, I'm currently reading Yoga Anatomy, and since I now reached the chapters on the specific postures, I think I'll simply practice one of those for 10 minutes each day. That'll also keep me motivated to continue reading that book xD and will make it easier to retain and understand what I'm reading. I do yoga on and off since several years, but almost always in courses or with video instructions, and getting to know the postures by themselves and alone, instead of in the flow of a sequence, seems like a good way of establishing a self-structured practice of it.

The second section of exercises is to focus on one of the 5 senses on each workday. I remember struggling with that when I first read that book because during semester my schedule was different every day and so it felt like having very different circumstances reserved for each sense to focus on, and during semester break I would be sitting at home most of the time anyway, so not really much new sensory input to focus on. Also, it's difficult to remember that task throughout the day.
Gonna do better this time ^^

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:36:37 am »
This is very interesting, will have to read it a few times before it stinks in (I love that though). @NEMO 93 was who worked through Apophis, though he's been MIA a while. He has a great article in The Imperishable Star v4 though called Liber Draconis. Ironically I literally JUST shared that on a FB page, it's still saved in my copied links lol.

https://ophidicsocietyofmeskhetyu.home.blog/2019/07/28/liber-draconis-the-acosmic-path-of-the-serpent-by-nemo-93/

"That which bends, break it down
That which breaks, burn it down
That which withers, seal its tomb"
- Junius

Liu

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 05:01:57 pm »
Thanks for your reply!
It's nice to know if someone is actually reading what I write, even if these summaries are also a good way of sorting my thoughts independent of whether anyone will actually view them.

Didn't remember it was Nemo who wrote about working through Apophis, just that it was somewhere in the introductions, but it would be fitting. I can't seem to find the exact comment I have in mind, but he does mention at least having worked with Kelly's writings.

That's a quite interesting essay you linked. Can't say I fully agree, as I'm a pantheist and see what he calls the material universe and what he calls the acosmic forces to be aspects of one and the same thing (something which he and other acosmics actually believe and still they somehow make a fundamental difference between). Probably also why I find Kelly's fairly (relatively speaking) pro-cosmic writings much easier to relate to than those of many other Setians. But thought-provoking article nevertheless, and quite a few points that I'd nevertheless call valid and quite valuable insights.

It might be good to have a place where to discuss the TIS articles in more detail, but with the author not being present to answer and clarify... I guess you discuss them in the order-internal subforum before publication?

Also, can't promise anything at the moment, but: Would you like to have a(n additional) proofreader for the next issue of TIS, or other publications? Just reading that article I found about one mistake, mainly syntactical or missing words, per page. The context always made it clear enough what was meant, but some could have lead to quite a bit of confusion.
I find it much more comfortable to encounter such mistakes if I also have the means to correct them :D And committing to proofreading would give me some further motivation to actually sit down and read your journal.

Well, looking forward to further feedback of you on my writings in this thread (and elsewhere).

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 12:39:32 am »
1. I try to read everything, I just usually don't have the means/time/feel good enough for making replies worthy of the content here. I feel like things are always slow in summer though.

2. Always love proof readers!

3. @Onyx I think a TIS subforum is a genius idea.

4. You wouldn't happen to be a programmer would you?

"That which bends, break it down
That which breaks, burn it down
That which withers, seal its tomb"
- Junius

Liu

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 05:56:18 am »
1. No problem - things are also slower here in real life in summer with everyone taking vacations.

2. Okay, tell me when something is about to be published and I'll see whether I can give it a check-through beforehand  :mrgreen:

3. :D

4. I'm learning Python, but not experienced enough to truly call myself a programmer yet.

Km Anu

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 06:15:16 am »
1. I try to read everything, I just usually don't have the means/time/feel good enough for making replies worthy of the content here. I feel like things are always slow in summer though.

2. Always love proof readers!

3. @Onyx I think a TIS subforum is a genius idea.

4. You wouldn't happen to be a programmer would you?

If we had a TIS subforum I could make more graphics for TIS.

Onyx

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 09:05:53 am »
Edit: Please offer ideas for how to organize sub-categories for the TIS newsletter project.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:36:16 pm by Onyx »

Km Anu

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 01:41:18 pm »
Edit: Please offer ideas for how to organize sub-categories for the TIS newsletter project.

My ideas will likely be poor, Its 6 am and I'm on the back end of a 12 hour shift :facepalm:, but I will still offer some.

Submissions, Collaborations, Aesthetics, and Peer Review? And a board specifically for discussion about the last issue's material perhaps.

Setibelial

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 05:06:37 am »
If you're more ritual oriented and are working with the 7 head's than I really recommend getting his "Seven fold Mystery"Book using Enochian Magic. I have had good results from it. It also contains the correct Key's which for a long time were only available to members of the Temple Of Set. I thoroughly enjoy his writing and recommend all of his book's including his "Orry Whitehand" instruction books. He is also very easy to get a hold of and will answer questions. I've been on the Apothis Club forums for several year's but unfortunately it is not very active anymore. Good luck on your working of the 7 head's.     
"Behold for I have crushed a Universe!"

Liu

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 05:31:00 am »
If you're more ritual oriented and are working with the 7 head's than I really recommend getting his "Seven fold Mystery"Book using Enochian Magic. I have had good results from it. It also contains the correct Key's which for a long time were only available to members of the Temple Of Set. I thoroughly enjoy his writing and recommend all of his book's including his "Orry Whitehand" instruction books. He is also very easy to get a hold of and will answer questions. I've been on the Apothis Club forums for several year's but unfortunately it is not very active anymore. Good luck on your working of the 7 head's.   
Thanks for the recommendations!
But no, quite the opposite, I hardly ever do structured rituals.
And what would "correct" even mean in the context of Enochian? If you mean the historically first ones, why would they only be available to the ToS?

Setibelial

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 06:09:39 am »
Gotcha. Well more available to TOS members unless you read Casubon's book.

Liu

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 06:42:53 am »
Gotcha. Well more available to TOS members unless you read Casubon's book.
Who (according to Wikipedia) seems to have published the original manuscripts with the goal of defaming the authors, so who knows how "original" things are even there.
And even if it's actually the original, does that make it any more useful? It's just the notes of a pair of occultists ~500 years ago - even if they were actually communicating with spirits, doesn't mean they got everything right or that these writings serve the purposes modern occultists use them for.
Someone here recently mentioned the Rohrschach test in their journal thread - I'd assume things like the Enochian keys to work in a very similar fashion. But I haven't given them much attention yet.

Setibelial

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 08:09:40 am »
Well it doesn't really matter but I can say from my own (though Subjective experience)Enochian Magic does work.

Liu

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 11:23:56 am »
Well it doesn't really matter but I can say from my own (though Subjective experience)Enochian Magic does work.
I didn't claim otherwise ^^