Author Topic: "Satan is..."  (Read 760 times)

Kapalika

"Satan is..."
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:03:09 am »

Something I thought of to put succinctly the sphere and symbolic relation of Satan to one's practice and beliefs. Share yours below or thoughts on the idea.

Format

"Satan is  (one word)"

My own:

Satan is Perseverance.
Satan is Power.
Satan is Empowerment.
Satan is Truth.
Satan is Cosmic.
Satan is Chaos.
Satan is Individualism.
Satan is Freedom.
Satan is Discipline.
Satan is Self-Mastery.
Satan is Defiance.
Satan is Carnality.
Satan is Spirituality.
Satan is Opposites.
Satan is Duality.
Satan is Nonduality.
Satan is Destruction.
Satan is Creation.
Satan is Essence.
Satan is Self.
Satan is Reflection.
Satan is Wrath.
Satan is God.

I could probably think of more but those are the ones that come to mind. Some might seem redundant but English is kinda vague at times and many I'd see differences in (ie self mastery might be more skill related where as discipline is more about having self control and healthy habits that foster self mastery, both of which play into personal power ect)
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Liu

Re: "Satan is..."
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 04:43:04 pm »
I made a mindmap of aspects of Satan like 5 years ago.
No idea where it is, but lets see what's the result this time!
(done before taking a closer look at your list)

Satan is...
opposition
darkness
the subconscious
will
life
nature
existence
the psyche
consciousness
balance
amorality
evil
revolution
inversion
doubt/questioning
curiosity
self
my lord and master
god
the trickster
all
ecstasy
desire

Hm, a bit different from your list but I would agree with your points as well, some are just different words for what I meant.

Also, I just went by whichever words came to my mind and felt right, whereas yours seems quite a bit more structured and thought-through.

Etu Malku

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:06:21 pm »
Who the Hell is Satan?

Here's my understanding of this "Old Enemy" as the literary scholar Neil Forsyth coined and what I consider to be the foundation of what is called Satanism.

Satan has always existed, only under other names and guises, Satan is a powerful and primordial archetype of man's psyche . . . a meme, or what some may now call a "Godform",  I think the Magus of Chaos, Peter Carroll uses that term?

This archetype is the reflection of how we perceive ourselves in relation to what we call the "others". Satan is a social and cultural phenomenon as old as the mind of humanity itself. There has always and will always, be essentially two worldviews consisting of oppositions and they are "Us & Them" or "Me" and "the rest of you" . . . etc.

Sumerian and Akkadian tablets concur this worldview from the earliest known writings, the ancient Egyptian word for an Egyptian meant "human", which excluded all who were not Egyptian to be relegated to 'non-human', the Greek word for non-Greeks was "barbaroi" (barbarians). The Jewish Essenes called anyone not an Essene "ha satan" (the adversary), Zoroastrianism set forth the dualistic "good" (what we believe in) and "evil" (what they believe in).

"A society does not simply discover its others, it fabricates them, by selecting, isolating, and emphasizing as aspect of another people's life, and making it symbolize their difference" - William Scott Green (Professor of the history of religion - ancient Judaism, biblical studies, and the theory of religion).

So, who/what is this Satan?
He simply is who you are not!
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 02:18:53 am »
Good ones I like em Liu! Some look better fit than a few I use (ie life over strictly carnality, and will over defiance).

Etu, maybe my memory is faulty but that just looks like a copy paste of something else you've said in the past. This thread isn't some dissertation it's just meant to be a fun mental exercise to see variations on the symbolism and or sphere from different perspectives.
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 01:39:21 pm »
Satan is Alien.

Alien to the tribe.
Alien to the faith.
Alien to the gods.
Alien to the homeland.
Alien to the ancestors.
Alien to the social order.

That's the most essential thing to say about Satan. Everything else flows from this starting point.

If we lived in a country where the dominant paradigm was the beast as ideal, then Satan would represent all that is alien to the beast, and Satanic ritual would be all about calculus, iambic pentameter, and Kant.

Slither whither thou wouldst.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 02:38:43 pm »
By no means comprehensive:

Free Will
Self ownership
Deification
Separation
Self awareness
Logic and reasoning
The great Other
The Principle/Hero of Consciousness

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 02:39:21 pm »
Satan is Alien.

Here's my picture of the Face of Satan.

Remember that alien is not necessarily the same as actively opposing.

Sometimes the Devil just watches.

And sometimes the Devil gives an imperceptible nudge in the direction you were already going.

Slither whither thou wouldst.

Occultist666

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 03:10:23 pm »
To me Satan is:

Self-empowerment
Truth
The father of humanity
Creator god
Prince of darkness
Lord of Hell
Mind
Free-will
Balance
The highest god of all
The all.
HAIL SATAN!
HAIL THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS!

Inlustratus

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 04:24:52 pm »
Free Will
Self ownership
Self awareness
Logic and reasoning
The great Other

bruh, that's not one word.
*scary satanic text*

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 05:55:14 pm »
Free Will
Self ownership
Self awareness
Logic and reasoning
The great Other

I lose :(

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Etu Malku

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 06:01:48 pm »
Satan is: Adversary
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Liu

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 06:23:57 pm »
Free Will
Self ownership
Self awareness
Logic and reasoning
The great Other

Depends on what you call one word. Some in the list are compounds, i.e. could be easily considered single words. And about the rest, pretty sure there are languages in which these things would/could be expressed by compounds as well, but are rather collocations in English.

idgo

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 11:15:42 pm »
For a single word, I'd have to go with "anthropomorphized". "Satan" is a word that people use to refer to and reason about a specific combination of attributes that *aren't* fully encompassed by any other single term, and we do so because we derive some benefit from grouping the concepts together in this way. I think the general gist of those attributes relates to entropy, though whether an individual would class them as "for" or "against" it depends on some highly subjective definitions of terms. (Entropy is a measure of the unavailable energy, which asks "unavailable to whom?".)

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 12:11:51 am »
My word is "Higher-Consciousness" with a hyphen :D

Best I can do

- Crowley

Onyx

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 01:57:19 am »
Quote from: idgo
For a single word, I'd have to go with "anthropomorphized".

Quote from: Oxford Dictionary
Anthropomorphism: The attribution of human characteristics or behaviour to a god, animal, or object.

Quote from: TSB
Most Satanists do not accept Satan as an anthropomorphic being with cloven hooves, a barbed tail, and horns. He merely represents a force in nature - the powers of darkness which have been named just that because no religion has taken these forces out of the darkness. Nor has science been able to apply technical terminology to this force. It is an untapped reservoir that few can make use of because they lack the ability use a tool without having to first break down and label all the parts which make it run. It is this incessant need to analyze which prohibits most people from taking advantage of this many faceted key to the unknown - which the Satanist chooses to call "Satan."

Given this non-Biblical interpretation, perhaps Satan could be defined by other single words:

Satan = Mystery
Satan = Obscurity