Author Topic: Is there an ideology outside the LHP which values the Self?  (Read 496 times)

Mike

Re: Is there an ideology outside the LHP which values the Self?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 02:53:33 pm »
Regarding crossfire's helpful explanatory comment:
"Jainism is a Shramanic path like Buddhism.  Jainism views karma as like a sticky substance that keeps the jiva trapped, unlike Buddhism which views karma as intention.  So in practice, Jainism is more focused on freeing the jiva from the sticky karma than on freeing your mind like Buddhism, so you will see some odd practices in Jainism related to this".
That's entirely correct with the tiniest of caveats that in some Jain traditions this is understood "differently". In 1994 I got to spend some time with the Digambar Jain Association in London when it was explained to me that in the teaching of Kunda Kunda,  because of the innate perfection and purity of the jiva, no karma can actually become attached (no, I don't properly understand this either!). Presumably in this teaching karma's effect is roughly analogous to that of Buddhism...

crossfire

Re: Is there an ideology outside the LHP which values the Self?
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 03:09:15 pm »
Regarding crossfire's helpful explanatory comment:
"Jainism is a Shramanic path like Buddhism.  Jainism views karma as like a sticky substance that keeps the jiva trapped, unlike Buddhism which views karma as intention.  So in practice, Jainism is more focused on freeing the jiva from the sticky karma than on freeing your mind like Buddhism, so you will see some odd practices in Jainism related to this".
That's entirely correct with the tiniest of caveats that in some Jain traditions this is understood "differently". In 1994 I got to spend some time with the Digambar Jain Association in London when it was explained to me that in the teaching of Kunda Kunda,  because of the innate perfection and purity of the jiva, no karma can actually become attached (no, I don't properly understand this either!). Presumably in this teaching karma's effect is roughly analogous to that of Buddhism...

Interesting!
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung