Author Topic: Necromancy (serious)  (Read 981 times)

Kapalika

Necromancy (serious)
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:58:17 am »
So I'm wondering what you guys think of necromancy, and any thoughts you can offer. I'm currently looking to get back into it. I used to call on the spirits of my ancestors and I've messed with the dead some before, but nothing really big (yet).

To prepare myself as of late I've thought a lot about death, the decay process and the impertinence of matter and organic life. I think maybe my next step would be to meditate some in graveyards and then after that when I start to make a new altar make it very death-centric.

I got some bones from a companion animal that died a few years ago but I was thinking of exhuming them again and collecting the rest to use for this altar (most importantly the skull). This would be pretty important to me as the guy died literally on the same night I made a huge sacrifice to a goddess which also happened to be on the apex of a new moon on a winter solstice. I also have a mummified cat I'd want to put in the center of the altar. The poor guy disappeared a few winters ago, I never found him until a few months ago and he was in a laying down pose. It would look perfect there. Even his whiskers are still intact and his body and skin is mostly fully intact with no internal organs (seems the skin on the belly came off and stuff ate him from the inside totally clean). So it seems meant to be.

I could then adorn the altar with stuff from dead ancestors and relatives. My grandmother is dying and doesn't have long to live and gave me some stuff from a native american vision quest she went on many years ago (she was really into the native americans and spirituality in general) and some other magical nick-nacks of hers so those could be a good focal points. (It would be cooler if I had a piece of her as well but it seems the law frowns on having human bones in most cases).

So that altar would be a good start as a way to commune with the dead as that would all be things I was close to. But part of what I really want to get into is communing with death itself, not just the dead I was close to. This will probably involve more intense meditation later on in graveyards. I might go for some quasi-aghori stuff and go naked covered in ashes. Seeing as society isn't fond of people being covered in human cremation ashes I'll probably have to get creative and gather roadkill and cremate it for some flesh-ashes.

As a side note I can't help but realize there isn't a lot of western occult deities directly associated with death that us LHP folk would be acquainted with... someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that there are some death-centric demons in Demonaltry from what I know... if anyone could advise me on this, let me know. I'm not too familiar with the oldschool western occultism.

I'm hoping I can eventually accumulate my development of necromancy starting off with those methods. This last part might come as a shocker but part of why I am doing this is I'm horribly afraid of death. It's one of the few things that truly terrify and shock me. Ever since I was a very little child I was being horrified by seeing things like ghosts and the few times I saw human mummies or skeletons I would totally freeze, and collapse and not be able to get up for several minutes. I totally stopped seeing ghosts when I became older but I never shook that fear of the dead. But a lot of death-centric LHP stuff that I'm familiar with involve death precisely for that reason.

...and at the same time, I am utterly fascinated, at least now, with the dead, decay and the impertinence of matter and life. Perhaps, as I've grown on my journey along the Left Hand Path I've learned to appreciate beauty in the freakish and bizzare, to see the aesthetic of decay (more on matter as opposed to organic, which hey gross organic stuff has an ick that is different). I have actually come to appreciate decaying buildings, rundown things and clothes that are falling apart. That kind of thing. Anything that highlights a state of decay (signs of attempts to forestall it don't hurt and can actually enhance it by showing a level of personality to fix things, but in a way knowing even that is temporary).

That point about aesthetics is very important, as I think it highlights again impertence and the fear of death. I guess in a way I'm trying to mirror what the Aghori have done for centuries and transcend that pure-impure boundary. But of course I can't be meditating on human bodies and eating partially cremated bodies and eating all my meals out of a human skull (I could do that last one if I had the money for one lol) because you know the law and stuff. But one of the great things about The Left Hand is that it's specific to contexts; culture and preferences. 

Perhaps the weirdest thing I can think of right now, is finding very fresh roadkill and taking the bodies to eat and/or do stuff with and it's bones. I'd totally get into hunting but I'd suck at it and not have the patience and scavenging seems to fit more with the decay aesthetic and causing death isn't what I'm into, just appreciating it.

And last thing, I guess for me that's also a point I feel insufficient here. I don't feel this is transgressive enough. I'm having issues on being really transgressive without going over certain lines that would be detrimental to my spiritual journey cause' as I said there are laws and stuff. I can't go around digging up people to eat them or whatever (not to mention that's a good way to kill yourself due to embalming). So um ya, if you guys got any suggestions on that front I'm all ears.
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: Necromancy (serious)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:35:16 pm »
I like how I can feel my own repulsion to some of these ideas (not to say that in a judgemental way). I've always wondered about this type of true ELHP magic. I can't offer much help, other than to recommend you be sure to stay inside the law, but I do have some beautifully designed human skulls made from different materials. I think most were found in day-of-the-dead type settings, like down in San Diego and obviously in Mexico proper.

I'm also curious about your drive to be transferring, if you wish to discuss it. It it just that you're coming from an ELHP perspective? Or is there some deeper divide between you and the concept of "normal behavior?"

"That which bends, break it down
That which breaks, burn it down
That which withers, seal its tomb"
- Junius

Kapalika

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:59:52 pm »
I think, it's partly because I'm coming from an eastern knowledge as opposed to perspective. I started the LHP as a Satanist and still consider myself one today.

The path has always had transgression as a feature but it's for the benefit of one's self, not to shock others. It's to shock yourself and separate you (among many other reasons). Basically, we are limited by and controlled by our fears knowingly or not. I think somewhere along the line of Satanism's lineage a lot of people lost the intention. The Aghori who I mentioned in my OP, their name means "without horror". The idea is that they are not longer repulsed by these things but see them as part of nature like anything else. I've always been a weird person and was attracted to the bizarre. In my spiritual journey I've found that the largest hurdle, really, was fear.

I don't think that is unusual. Most people fear this stuff so much they freak out at the mention of it. It's easier to talk about it intellectually, explore it mentally but after so long you overcome that.

It's a bit' of a duality though, on one hand I'm into all that bizarre, and I find it helps me... act more "normal" in a lot of situations. It reminds me of the householder LHP sects in Tantra where one does the LHP in secret and with a normal life, unlike the ascetics who are isolated from society. Maybe there is a psychological reason for this dynamic but I don't really know.
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:20:57 pm »
I can definitely understand that. My more heterodox side is definitely alive and well also, it simply manifests in different ways. Sexual transgression is probably where most of my "amoral" behavior comes in though of course I'm talking about within a consenting relationship, I happen to agree with certain cultural values like not raping and so on. That's not because I want to fit in, I just happen to agree on an individual level.

"That which bends, break it down
That which breaks, burn it down
That which withers, seal its tomb"
- Junius

merytseth

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 02:35:17 am »
I think, it's partly because I'm coming from an eastern knowledge as opposed to perspective. I started the LHP as a Satanist and still consider myself one today.

The path has always had transgression as a feature but it's for the benefit of one's self, not to shock others. It's to shock yourself and separate you (among many other reasons). Basically, we are limited by and controlled by our fears knowingly or not. I think somewhere along the line of Satanism's lineage a lot of people lost the intention. The Aghori who I mentioned in my OP, their name means "without horror". The idea is that they are not longer repulsed by these things but see them as part of nature like anything else. I've always been a weird person and was attracted to the bizarre. In my spiritual journey I've found that the largest hurdle, really, was fear.

I don't think that is unusual. Most people fear this stuff so much they freak out at the mention of it. It's easier to talk about it intellectually, explore it mentally but after so long you overcome that.

It's a bit' of a duality though, on one hand I'm into all that bizarre, and I find it helps me... act more "normal" in a lot of situations. It reminds me of the householder LHP sects in Tantra where one does the LHP in secret and with a normal life, unlike the ascetics who are isolated from society. Maybe there is a psychological reason for this dynamic but I don't really know.

The point, in my opinion, of LHP workings is self improvement, so if it makes you feel more normal, that's a positive thing, so long as the balance doesn't negate the good effect of the workings.

Your thoughts on necromancy are fascinating, and I personally don't find them too extreme at all - perhaps even honorary of the case of the companion animals you're utilizing in the work.  I haven't tried any communion with the dead myself, but there is certainly a precedent for it, even in RHP religions with elements of ancestor worship.  What you're describing isn't too far removed from that, and is more grounded in the frankly grim reality of death than most ancestor worship practices that I'm familiar with (admittedly, my eastern religion knowledge is pretty spotty, so I could be wrong).

On a practical level, I actually have a friend who, while not a necromancer, did have a hobby of articulating skeletons, and she managed to meet someone who got her access to the dynastid beetle tank at the local university, so if she found roadkill, she could clean the skeleton very quickly, completely, and easily.  If you have a university nearby with a biology or paleontology program, or even a curiosity shop that deals in articulated skeletons, you may ask around and see if you can get some beetle access for the purposes of cleaning your pieces.

W_Adam_Smythe

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 03:05:42 am »
One book that would seem to have some information that you are looking for is Michelle Belanger's  Walking the Twilight Path: The Gothic Book of  The Dead. Though she also has other works that seem to be along these lines.

One thing that I would offer though, is what is truly the definition of death?

During a Communion that I once had with someone, who did not have hardly any friends at the time of his death. During the Communion, he almost seemed to be amazed and said, "I didn't know that it was possible to make friends after death."

I then replied, "If you are dead how are you communicating with me?"

He really seemed to think that one over. He also seemed a bit uneasy. He then said,"Hmmm. I didn't think of that."

He left and I have never had another communication with him since.

My point here is that if you are communicating with anyone and they with you can you truly say that they are dead?

Likewise, if someone was dead or indeed Death, how would you communicate with it?

So to the original question: What is death?

Hammerheart

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 12:38:38 pm »
I don't really have any interests in it, nor do I believe in the principles of necormancy. I don't think that sentient spirits capable of engaging in any form of communication linger about in graveyards. I do, however, believe that remnant energies may be present at a site where someone has died, and also in cemeteries.

I would have made a more thorough post, but I am currently sleep deprived...