Author Topic: The Importance Of A Strong Ego & Keeping Your Word  (Read 859 times)

W_Adam_Smythe

The Importance Of A Strong Ego & Keeping Your Word
« on: July 11, 2017, 11:03:52 pm »
When one studies any occult or esoteric system the subject of Magic is touched on.  Sometimes (and more often employed) is Lesser Magic. That is the art of manipulating others to do your Will.

Greater Magic is in the ritual chamber. That is where Devils, Demons, Gods, Goddesses, and UnDead Ancestors are called upon. During ritual the Magician will work up energy to send out into the astral. It is the desire of the Magician to make the result of the ritual come to pass in the real world.

Manipulating others requires a mental focus on the part of the Magician.

So does Ritual.

For any Magician to manipulate the Will of others or himself requires an ironclad ego.

If this is doubted, I ask that you look to all acts of human nature. EVERY act of human nature is selfish and self driven.

Consider the movers and shakers of history and today. What one of them  could not be considered egotistical?

Why do you think so many people care what celebrities are up to?

Look at their egos and then consider all of the above.

I will take it one step further: In the fictional myth of the Bible, God sacrifices his only son.

This was not a selfless act. Look at all of the followers he got in return.

Now that we can see the importance of an ego in works of Magic, I will tell you a simple exercise to strengthen it: Always keep your word....to yourself.

When you promise someone that you are going to do something (and you really want to do it) always follow through no matter what the cost.

If you do not, you fail.

Simple.

Honesty is not a factor. If you know you are lying admit it (to yourself of course). Then do whatever necessary to make the lie become your reality.

If you do not, you fail.

Again, quite simple.

Failure shatters the ego.

This becomes quite counterproductive and can actually work against the Magician’s goals.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: The Importance Of A Strong Ego & Keeping Your Word
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 01:34:24 am »
I do not really believe that there are selfless acts, and I actually think realizing the truth of egoism made me more empathetic and outgoing in the long run. I want to do good things because I want to be able to view myself as a good person, and hope others view me that way as well. This is, of course, both entirely selfish and entirely beneficial/positive for everyone involved. I studied psychology and work in social work, and many people think it contradicts my journey on the Left Hand Path. Yet in reality, it not only give some serious prestige on one side of the coin, but any objective change has ripple effects that can even improve my own life. Not just helping a family get through a hard time, but even not handing the country over to abused and neglected children.

"That which bends, break it down
That which breaks, burn it down
That which withers, seal its tomb"
- Junius

W_Adam_Smythe

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 02:42:01 am »
Quite correct.  It is about being able to be honest with yourself. I see no contradiction in what you do at all. You are honest with yourself about being selfish. You do things that benefit you and they work.  That is Magic.  What is interesting is that those who can cut through to the core and admit that, yea I do things for selfish benefits, actually are some of the nicest folks you will ever meet.

Sutekh

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 05:15:23 am »
When you promise someone that you are going to do something (and you really want to do it) always follow through no matter what the cost.

If you do not, you fail.

Simple.

Honesty is not a factor. If you know you are lying admit it (to yourself of course). Then do whatever necessary to make the lie become your reality.

If you do not, you fail.

Again, quite simple.

Failure shatters the ego.

This becomes quite counterproductive and can actually work against the Magician’s goals.

I can totally agree with that point of view, I actually hold the point of view on keeping a persons promise, I personally do not respect a person who promises something to you but instead he fails himself and of course he is a bull shitter as well, pardon my french. But the truth is the truth in which you and I both may come to that agreement.  However they are not the only ones who have that sort of problem with promises and ones loyalty. We suffer that same problem that can be hard to get rid of, I myself am able to keep a promise when I feel like doing it whether it is being loyal to a friend.  However my promises can break if I on the other hand promise another acquaintance and agree on hanging out with him on summer vacation but instead I am unsure about that acquaintance in general.  At times when I realize that I break a promise by "lying" as you may had mentioned, I tend to become unsure of myself the more I think about it. I am a very quite analytical person I analyze everything around me, but when it comes to facing the facts of what I did wrong I feel a sense of regret.  I realize it is not quite easy to twist ones reality by manipulating it with Lesser Magic unless if you are of course discreet about it, my experience from doing Lesser Magic can backfire on myself.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:17:23 am by Sutekh »
"Our collective ambition is that the membership of the Order of the Serpent also serves as guardians of the Black Flame and collaborates with the Prince of Darkness in the Infernal Mandate of re-creating the Cosmos in the eternal glory of the Setian Will!"-Setamontet

EvilMeow

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 05:30:44 am »
A feeling of obligation is actually not good for a person. As it directly denies the free will and free will is a source of power.

Not being true to oneself is not good for a person. Not being true to yourself to yourself also has a dimishing effect on your power.

Lying to others teaches you to lie to yourself as well.

As much as one might want to follow their ego, but it is not always perfect as there might be conflicts within. Human mind is universally very skilled in hiding conflicts from itself. I say that it is very skilled, because humans are very quick to mask their own actions from themself. Admiting that you did it for your own selfish reason is beneficial, because it will actually reduce the amount of masks that mind can use... With less masks, it becomes easier to understand oneself and it leads to being true to oneself easier.

All actions might be selfish, but I have interest in psychology and I always wonder... does that person know why did they do what they did? Do they know what is actually motivating them? Why are there mistakes?

Isnt the want to stop something that you have started is also something that comes from within you? Well, it technically is and it is born from the conflict within. It is the easiest thing to just say "since I have started it, I will finish it" to silence that conflict, but it might be more beneficial to look deeper within why such ideas arise to start with.

Honestly, always making the same decision will make one side of you stronger. Supporting the part of yourself that keeps their word to yourself should be beneficial for everyone as it should help you to be more true with yourself... So I agree with that idea, but the way it is delivered sounds a lot like a doctrine. I wonder if you have asked yourself why did you want to share this specific idea with others?

I do not want to sound offensive in any way, I just tend to wonder about things, especially when they are delivered as a straight statement... And I welcome you to question my statements.

W_Adam_Smythe

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 10:36:40 am »
@EvilMeow. I hope that I did not convey the impression that perfection is the goal. I also think that it is important to realize that no one will ever be perfect. It is self acceptance instead of self-esteem that is the true key to freedom IMO.

Self acceptance is much easier said than done though. It is easy to accept what you like about yourself, but harder to also accept what you interpret to be your flaws. No less, self-esteem is to put a value on yourself whether by someone else's standards or your own. What is an even more difficult task is to forgo the esteem or value and understand that you are priceless just as you are.

You hit the nail on the head as far as not being true to yourself diminishing your power. That was the main point that I was trying to convey. My apologies if it was misunderstood. 

I also agree that lying to others teaches you to lie to yourself. The trick is to stay honest with yourself.

Absolutely, I agree with that admitting anything to (if no one else and especially) yourself it does reduce the amount of masks that one can hide behind.

To your questions of what motivates others, while they are important questions to ask. I feel that you will only truly ever know as much as someone else lets you know. 

I also agree that it is far more useful to look within yourself to find out why any idea starts.

Finally, lol, I take no offense. This was something that I wrote in one of my journals a few years back. Likewise, I did not mean for it to come off as being a doctrine.  These were simply observations that I made when learning more about power and how to build and keep it. My reason for sharing it here, as with anything else, is in the hopes that someone else can find it to be useful to add to their particular set of tools. Which, of course, selfishly makes me feel good.  ;)

W_Adam_Smythe

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 11:16:18 am »
@Sutekh I completely understand what you are saying. Sometimes for whatever reason a promise simply cannot be kept. Though, as I ponder a bit more at EvilMeow's comment about looking deeper within yourself to see what your motivations are to begin with that will make keeping a promise easier to make. That said, there are ALWAYS going to be elements that come into play that are beyond our control.

We are in total agreement about bullshitters though and from a practical everyday perspective, I think we can see how that relates to my original essay. For example, if someone has a general reputation of being dishonest, that person's business may begin to shrink to nothing at all, that person may not be able to get date's so well, get jobs so well, or have any friends to trust him when he needs someone to come through for him. As you can clearly see, that person's power is next to nothing when it comes to getting things to go his way.

None of this should supersede instinct and intuition. Someone taught me long ago to trust your gut instincts. What is surprising is that generally speaking it is hard to do. I still struggle with this sometimes. In many cases society has taught us to ignore our instincts especially where they may come off as being impolite. Zeena very much highlighted this point in her and Nikolas's First Family of Satanism as you will recall. The example that she gave was that of passing a baby around a room and when it gets to that one person it begins screaming uncontrollably. The baby hasn't been brainwashed by society and as such trusts his instincts. I bring this up in regards to your comment about being unsure of an acquaintance. It is a very good observation IMO and one that should not be overlooked.

Finally, a note on lying. Perhaps the word that I used was too strong. Look at it another way: If you know you are believing in something, admit it to yourself. However, this should not hinder you from doing everything within your power to make that belief a reality. Some would refer to this as mind over matter (which I have personally observed and experienced that the mind can certainly change a lot of things within the objective universe). 

Sometimes a lie/belief (however you wish to word it) can be either useful or useless.

For example, let's say that you had a bad day. Based on that experience (whatever experience that it is), you have every reason to think that the events of yesterday will continue over to today and so forth. Now, you can wake up each day telling yourself that the day will suck, then give yourself every reason why it will likely be so. You may even feed that idea by telling your thoughts of this to others who will both sympathize and (most detrimental) agree with you.

As a result, your day will most likely suck.

No less, you have fed the belief, defeatist as that belief may be, and it has come to be a reality.

Here we can see that this has a snowball effect for the next day, were we to feed the same belief. Only this time it will be easier because we have already proven to ourselves that we were right. That is an example of a useless belief.

On the flip side of that, let's say that yesterday something happened that caused our day to suck. Only we realize that we have some level of control to change it. First by recognizing that we don't know what tomorrow will bring. Second, by predicting what it might bring. For example, we can say, you know I think that tomorrow will be wonderful because (fill in a realistic thing that you know that you can make happen). Then proceed to tell others who will be optimistic for you and (in this case beneficial) agree with you, thus feeding your positive thought. When you make that reality happen, you have now created a positive reality to compensate for the negative one.

The same as before, you have fed a belief that has become a reality, and the same snowball effect will ensue, because you have just proven to yourself that you do indeed have the power to make things work in your favor.

Again, I should note that this does not take out the unexpected things that might happen or things that will simply be out of our control.

However, if we are going to believe/lie about something, it may as well help us rather than hurt us.

I hope that this makes sense.