Author Topic: CoS Tax Exemption Truths and Falsehoods  (Read 735 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
CoS Tax Exemption Truths and Falsehoods
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:42:16 pm »
Note: several of us on multiple sides of the field are still investigating. We will try to get the records from the IRS and update accordingly. This is based on what we can all currently find.

Falsehoods

- The CoS does not appear to have ever ACTUALLY been tax exempt.

- The CoS certainly was not exempt from the date Michael Aquino has said or there would be records of it.

- The idea that CoS did not pay taxes at any time is not supported by the info we have access to, certainly not since 1966 since the Articles of Incorporation in question were in 1971!

- Aquino's claim that the church was rejected for the status is not currently supported, they may have simply changed their minds. Again we in the OS will try to get the actual records.

Truth

- In the 1971 articles of incorporation for the Church of Satan, article eight puts the CoS forward as a religious, tax exempt entity under 501(c)(3). This goes beyond simple non profit status like the CoS has now.

- Anton LaVey signed off on this.

- For unknown reasons, the CoS does not appear to have been given exemption under 501(c)(3). It is proposed that LaVey simply was not willing to submit church records. Again, I will try to get confirmation.

- Dr. Aquino has unfortunately embellished the truth behind this moment in satanic history.

Conclusion

- It is false to say CoS never wanted tax exemption status under 501(c)(3).

- It is also false to say CoS was tax exempt for several years until 1985.

- In the end the truth is in the middle. CoS wanted tax exempt status at one point but we [currently] don't have records saying they got it or why they did not. It's possible LaVey simply changed his mind and didn't want to make church records public, whether for good or nefarious reasons.

- Finally, this is all grain of salt until we get the records

Apologies

I have promoted Dr. Aquino's word on this, that CoS was tax exempt, then lost it/was denied, then lied about applying. It could just as easily be LaVey changed his mind, or it could be as messed up as Aquino claims. But the fact is, for now, we really don't know. Yes, they tried for exemption in the 1971 AoI - but this is the only thing we can confirm currently. I deeply apologize for this possible spreading of false information and will continue working to investigate this as means of rectification.

Appendix

Article 8 of CoS AoI: https://i.imgur.com/jK9WxXx.png

LaVey signing off: https://i.imgur.com/HqecraD.png

Aquino unsubstantiated claims on exemption (CoS 5th ed. footnote 771): https://imgur.com/a/T18XbA0

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: CoS Tax Exemption Truths and Falsehoods
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:09:06 am »
I asked Dr. Aquino if he could provide documents but they are "in storage". All I will say in my great overall respect for the man is I would not have something so controversial lost in storage.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Mindmaster

Re: CoS Tax Exemption Truths and Falsehoods
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:29:28 pm »
I asked Dr. Aquino if he could provide documents but they are "in storage". All I will say in my great overall respect for the man is I would not have something so controversial lost in storage.

It doesn't trouble me in either case whether they're tax exempt or not, it's merely how you'd like the government to deal with you. There are also other concerns as well -- for example, if you are involved in politics in any remote way 501(c) is typically bad for you. This is, of course, is why it's very curious that TST did it -- since that predominately seems what they're involved in doing. :D (If the IRS can demonstrate you are involved in politics they can revoke your tax exempt status and you are liable for back taxes.)

Anyway, most real Satanic/LHP groups are so low-key they're not even recording the information it'd take to tax them. I personally see little to no value to advertise to the government my religious inclinations, nor does seeking government approval lend any credibility to your organization in a real way.

Mostly, to me, this just seems like another way for various detractors to jab at various organizations or attempt to appear more legitimate. It's comical either way you look at it, really.