Author Topic: Ursa Major hanging over my new home (using SkyView)  (Read 322 times)

Xepera maSet

• Too Serious / Not Serious Enough
  • Administrator
  • Mephistopheles of the Southern Deserts
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Ursa Major hanging over my new home (using SkyView)
« on: March 04, 2019, 02:48:22 am »

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

Xepera maSet

• Too Serious / Not Serious Enough
  • Administrator
  • Mephistopheles of the Southern Deserts
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: Ursa Major hanging over my new home (using SkyView)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 02:55:43 am »
Oh shit, this is post 1137. That was my RF name and the first number of significance to me due to my friend and I encountering it repeatedly. That's crazy synchronicity

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

Liu

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:04:58 pm »
Also saw her today shining brightly on the way home late.
I recently installed the app Sky Map which makes recognizing stars and constellations really easy, so I can finally practice that a bit (at least when in an area where it's dark enough).
The first constellation I identified with it a couple days ago was actually Orion.

Liu

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:22:35 pm »
And I was thinking about how Ursa Minor is also called the small wagon and originally was the wing of the dragon constellation - both wings and wagons being what carries their owners long distances fast.

I got a nice booklet (plus constellation plates) on the flea-market a while ago. Only cost me a buck and has all this information on the myths and their possible origins (e.g. for Draco how it originally rotated around the celestial north pole 5000 years ago and thereby became that symbol for eternity, immortality etc.).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:24:06 pm by Liu »

Onyx

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 02:24:01 am »
Despite living in a large city, both the Ursa Major and Orion constellations are particularly prominent here. The red color of the supergiant Alpha Orionis comes across good, which I understand to be around 1000 times the diameter of the Sun. I can also see Cassiopeia and the Pleiades pretty well on occasion.

It's fascinating how people in ancient times formulated so much symbolism through literally "connecting the dots" of the night sky.