Author Topic: Re-Review of The Satanic Bible 50th Anniversary ReVision  (Read 1200 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re-Review of The Satanic Bible 50th Anniversary ReVision
« on: January 16, 2019, 06:54:31 pm »
At first I was unimpressed with TSB50. I was bothered by the use of the title, the mostly repeated information from Dr. Aquino's other books, etc. But after thinking on the subject I have changed my view.

TSB50 is the complete magnum opus of Dr. Aquino, his Great Work. It is his most important religious works, ideas, arguments, anecdotes, etc. It fully explains his world view without having to grab ToS, CoS, MindWar/Star/Find Far, etc and compile the info. And as always, it is the same level of genius one has come to expect. I honestly almost wish I'd waited for TSB50 instead of reading his non-fiction as it came out

As for the title, I have no problem anymore. LaVey's TSB, as inspiring as it's been, was 1/2 plagerism and 1/2 random articles compiled simply to produce a book. It hasn't been adjusted or update, remaining a book of an organizations beginning, but not accounting for discoveries since then. Further, it is a work supported by LaVey's family, which matters far more here than what the CoS thinks about it. There's something beautiful about Dr. Aquino's great work returning to his Satanic Roots, and it's inspired the Satanist in me once more. Besides, as Aquino provides from LaVey himself in a recognition letter, who better to update and rebirth Satanism than his Right Hand Man?

In the end TSB50 may not he necessary if you've kept up with Aquino. All the same it is his Magnum Opus and that alone makes it worth having. It's also nice to have a Satanic Bible to put out which creates an air of respect and true wonder. But if you haven't read Aquino or about Satanism, this is a must have. Great work!

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Kapalika

Re: Re-Review of The Satanic Bible 50th Anniversary ReVision
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:24:38 am »
My only real problem was the weird text in the allegory parts and that those sections read really dry, in terms of an objective review. Maybe a pet peeve or two elsewhere but nothing out of the ordinary. Granted, I never really read more than parts of it. I wanted to read it mostly in order but those allegory parts just kinda killed it for me (talking about the stories about the angels and stuff).
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:48:58 am »
You didn't like The Diabolicon @Kapalika ?

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 05:04:51 am »
You didn't like The Diabolicon @Kapalika ?

That's probably it? My copy is at the old apartment, with most of my stuff until I find a place to stay, so I Can't really check what section it is.

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

idgo

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 05:33:53 am »
I'm still trying to figure out whether the illegible fonts are to look cooler to angsty teens, or because having to work to read it is supposed to make you value the words more and find them more insightful.

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 05:37:32 am »
I'm still trying to figure out whether the illegible fonts are to look cooler to angsty teens, or because having to work to read it is supposed to make you value the words more and find them more insightful.

Aquino said in an interview it is so one takes their time reading it.

- Crowley

Kapalika

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:08:06 am »

Aquino said in an interview it is so one takes their time reading it.

Aquino actually responded to this criticism directly on an Amazon review:

Touché on the fonts; For dæmonic texts I was looking for something suitable/legible, and this was the best compromise I could find. Just putting the texts in Times would have been like surrounding the Baphomet with S-A-T-A-N!

Kapalika

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 06:12:02 am »
I notice a lot of occult / Satanism websites and texts suffer very much from poor design, as if it's an after thought.

If I ever get around to writing my own book (hell even for my own reference) the graphics is something I'd easily toss money at.

Inlustratus

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 08:09:33 am »
Touché on the fonts; For dæmonic texts I was looking for something suitable/legible, and this was the best compromise I could find. Just putting the texts in Times would have been like surrounding the Baphomet with S-A-T-A-N!

I haven't read the book but from what I've seen on Amazon it's normal. Reading Catechism of Lucifer with a cool font made it a pain in the ass. Personally I prefer a slicker design and minimalism.
*scary satanic text*

Onyx

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 12:10:24 pm »
Old-English type fonts are nice for aesthetics in headings, but make for a terrible reading experience in terms of the copy text. The fonts in Aquino's book are strange in places but more readable then that, lol.

idgo

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 08:39:07 pm »
Sadly, we're not even talking a proper Gothic font. We're talking "heavy metal band couldn't afford the cost of a real graphic designer to put the tour dates on their t-shirt" level angst. We're talking "those special fonts to make the letters look the right way up for dyslexics, but with the weight in random spots on the letters instead of on the bottom".

Needless to say, I am not a fan.

Inlustratus

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 09:30:07 pm »
heavy metal band couldn't afford the cost of a real graphic designer to put the tour dates on their t-shirt

Lol. It's... ugly, but not too bad like the, already mentioned, Catechism of Lucifer. I swear to god sometimes I have no idea what it says. Letters u and n are completely the same and sometimes change how they look. I wish I was kidding.
*scary satanic text*

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 09:44:48 pm »
I mean, Google "Diabolicon" and read it like we all did for years before now?

- Crowley

NEMO 93

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 02:55:13 am »
It's probably my favorite Satanic, in the modern sense, text. I really want to read Mindwar next.

My only problems with Aquino are not solved in this. One is his philosophical arguments based in traditional philosophy are unconvincing and seem very biased. The other being he's often wrong about certain Academic areas like history and other things.

But his over-all philosophy and paradigm is very inspiring and useful and I'm glad I own this version of the Satanic Bible, it has a lot of amazing stuff in there.

Onyx

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 03:03:56 am »
The book has grown on me quite a bit, lots of stuff in one place.