Author Topic: Re-Review of The Satanic Bible 50th Anniversary ReVision  (Read 667 times)

Kapalika

Re: Re-Review of The Satanic Bible 50th Anniversary ReVision
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 02:37:54 am »
We're talking "those special fonts to make the letters look the right way up for dyslexics, but with the weight in random spots on the letters instead of on the bottom".

Needless to say, I am not a fan.

That might be part of my problem with that section, in that, well I think it's worse for dyslexics.

I've never been officially diagnosed with dyslexia but at some point in adulthood I started to suspect I inherited the lesser known form of it from my mom, who is dyslexic.

It was really hard to read, I already loose my line/place with normal text, and get confused with strings of numbers and I've always had sequencing issues with pronunciation and weird spellings. Never had letters looking like other letters though, sometimes just a confusing fuzzy incomprehensible vagueness for a couple moments.

The text kind of made that worse as it's unfamiliar and all capitals basically. I don't know how many times I lost my place. Also, it reads really dry and honestly it was kind of boring. It wasn't vivid and it felt dull and was filled with a ton of angels that I gave no shits about why I should care about their cosmic drama.

Granted, I loved the sections before that. Makes me want to read what else he wrote about the early CoS history. I actually learned a lot from the earlier parts of the book. At some point I'll finish reading the whole thing, if anyone knows if I miss out on any context or not by skipping the weird text sections that would be appreciated as that is what halted me from finishing it. I just can't stand that section.
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 02:55:32 pm »
Ah, I can see dyslexia being a big issue. I can't post one here because ToS is hardcore about it, but you can find a normal text Diabolicon on line pretty easily.

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

Myhla

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 06:06:28 pm »
I realize this is an old (possibly dead) topic, but I wanted to respond to it, partly because this thread was one of the deciding factors which prompted me to purchase TSB50 in the first place.

Having said that, I'm very pleased with it. I had considered re-purchasing Anton LaVey's SB, as well as Satanic Rituals and The Satanic Witch (of which, the latter two, I have not read). But I opted to go with Aquino's "ReVision" in the end, and I'm very glad I did.

For sure, it's intended to be an actual revision (possibly reinterpretation?) of the original Satanic Bible, but it really strikes me as the best possible (actual) companion to the original. In my opinion, Aquino's version would greatly supplement the original, and probably makes most sense after reading LaVey's.

Even I'm finding a few parts to be strenuous, and I've probably read LaVey's original more than any other book in my life (since my adolescence), aside from the actual Holy Bible.

All that being said, I have wondered... would it be possible to create a form of Satanism that is based more upon Aquino's version than LaVey's? Admittedly, I haven't finished it yet, so I'm not sure how the books of Belial and Leviathan differ or stand out in their explanation of the working mechanics of Black Magic.

I will say this, however... I am very glad I purchased this book, and I've already recommended it to several more satanically-minded people, haha. 

DelilahGarret

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 07:12:06 pm »
All that being said, I have wondered... would it be possible to create a form of Satanism that is based more upon Aquino's version than LaVey's?

Of course. Even better, you could create your own vision and codify that. You get to do it your own way, however that way ends up being.

Myhla

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 07:32:06 pm »
Of course. Even better, you could create your own vision and codify that. You get to do it your own way, however that way ends up being.

It's funny you should mention it, as I'm currently doing exactly that.