Author Topic: Is MindWar moral?  (Read 623 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Is MindWar moral?
« on: January 09, 2019, 05:36:19 pm »
First, from MindWar by Dr. Michael Aquino:

MW controls human external-action thoughts by identifying and adjusting the sensory impressions that the mind uses to assemble, modify, and reinforce them.

What distinguishes MW from ordinary political/social/cultural perception- and behavior-influencing efforts is its focus, duration, and intensity. Like PW, MW is a situation-specific operation to deal with a problem of immediate urgency.10 During this crisis MW overwhelms any existing mundane behavior-dictating systems, replacing them with a more sophisticated, comprehensive, and effective package.

In MW Phase 2 the áristos is reverse-engineered from accomplishment to the present, to establish the most effective, efficient, and economical path to its realization. The necessary organizations, assets, and bases are devised and assembled. MW Phase 3 consists of the achievement of the áristos under the guidance of MetaForce Branch (MFB) teams, followed by initiation of the permanently corrective moral polis by ParaPolitics Branch (PPB) teams. Phase 4 formalizes MW victory in the completion of the polis and departure of PPB. MWB terminates conditioning. The MW campaign structure is then completely dismantled.

Governing all of MW are its three laws: 1. MW is the conduct of war without injury or death to human beings, and without the disruption or destruction of their means of livelihood. 2. While MW includes access to the human mind, this is done only to stimulate its capacity for and interest in cooperative problem-solving. 3. PW is the consequence of MW failure. Therefore MW must not be allowed to fail.

At face value this is obviously a respectable postion - it's basically replacing physical warfare with argumentation and working towards a mutual goal. However, when we get into it more, especially in the fictional example "We Break the Sword", MindWar is in fact physical manipulation as it works on the material world - the brain specifically. It does this through alpha waves, EMFs, ionization, and other such things.

To me this is concerning. Imagine you work for a company that is neither wholly moral nor immoral. In the corner they have snuck an alpha wave machine to make all the employees more relaxed in this job. So even if I'm morality arises, how would we know? Further, while Aquino claims this is explicitly not mind control, it really explicitly is. Not like an fiction, but in changing the very disposition of human beings, changing their priorities, morals, etc. For better or worse, is this not a material violation of free will?

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

idgo

Re: Is MindWar moral?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 06:51:10 pm »
Mu. Actions have no inherent morality or immorality; they only gain moral standing from the context in which they occur.

For instance, killing a baby bunny. On its own, if the baby bunny was happy and healthy, probably immoral. But if you find the baby bunny too mangled to live very long after a mowing machine ran it over? Probably moral to put it out of its misery. But if you find it too mangled to live on its own right outside of a veterinary clinic? Probably less moral to kill it than to take it in. Context seemingly "unrelated" to the question can have substantial bearing on whether a given decision was the most moral course available.

I'd assess MindWar for morality in the same way as I'd examine any other propaganda campaign, as it appears to be more or less "propaganda on steroids". One can contrive any number of circumstances where MindWar, mind control, or other brainwashing appears to be the most moral course of action available. When circumstances outside of one's control create a conflict whose participants are only willing to exit it by harming one another, there's a strong case for changing or otherwise violating their desires.

However, the question of whether each of physical or mental violation is "more evil" than the other depends in large part on the personal value system of each individual being violated. 

"Wait!" you might protest, "it's infeasible to assess the personal value system of every individual affected by a societal action such as MW or PW!". Yep, that's how it appears to work now and also how it appears to have worked for the entirety of history. But just as a geometrical perfectly straight line or perfectly round circle cannot be constructed in physical reality, the over-simplified ideals of straightness or roundness or morality remain useful abstractions for taking better guesses about what to do.

Onyx

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 12:20:04 pm »
MindWar in a nutshell:

Quote from: Dr. Aquino
Unlike PSYOP, MindWar has nothing to do with deception or even with "selected" - and therefore misleading - truth. Rather it states a whole truth that, if it does not now exist, will be forced into existence by the will of the United States.

In WWII we dropped the first bombs which put us in a position of superiority, but what a disaster in terms of loss of life after so many were already lost in battle. The concept of MindWar though seems to a "surgical" one in terms of defusing (or lessening) physical warfare.

Propaganda machines exist everywhere from Hollywood to religion to shopping at the store. I think the ethical use of them depends on context as @idgo indicated.

Little Beast

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 12:33:19 pm »
As a practitioner of both "mindwar" and literally thoughtcrime (I don't recommend ECT however, it sucks when your brain gets fried) it isn't "moral". Define morality in 2019 though. If I was rich I could buy your country and sell it to some other country. Oh wait, that was a 2018 comment.

Next question.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:08:50 pm by Little Beast »
I'll be a thorn in your side,
'Til you die
I'll be a thorn in your side
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink

Beetle

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:09:55 am »
Can you name anything that is moral? I can't.