Author Topic: One path, many Aeons  (Read 150 times)

Xepera maSet

• Setian
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
One path, many Aeons
« on: January 08, 2019, 03:05:49 pm »
For a long time the strict divisionism of the LHP has really bothered me. Mostly we seem to treat things like Setianism, Satanism, Luciferianism, etc as entirely separate, mutually exclusive paths. I don't think this is the case.

As many of us have studied, human beings actually exist within multiple Aeons at once. They are not linear like Crowley preaches, going Isis --> Osiris --> Horus etc. Rather, they all coexist, and us within them. As Aquino put it in his Satanic Bible:

Thus in what one might term the Lesser Black Magical (LBM) sense, an æon is simply an attitude which one chooses or is conditioned to adopt. This is what is meant by saying that different people “exist in different aeons”: that a Jew, Christian or Muslim exists in the AEon of Osiris, a Wiccan in that of Isis, and a Thelemite in that of Horus.

Accordingly, while aeons are “pyramidal” in sophistication, after the fashion of Plato’s “pyramid of thought”, there is no reason to consider them linear-time-sequential, each new one superseding and obliterating the one before it. In a LBM sense, therefore, the population of the world continues overwhelmingly in the grip of the AEon of Osiris, the best intentions of Aiwass notwithstanding. The AEon of Isis is the next influential, followed by that of Horus.

Even a follower of the LHP spends significant amounts of time in other Aeons like Osiris - like when you're kicking back watching tv, or reading fantasy, or playing sports. Likewise, I think the numerous paths of the LHP are Aeons in this same sense. When I am seeking a GBM working of Xeper I exist in the aeon of Set. When I'm sporting a pentagram or a sarcastic religious shirt, or during most theological discussions as people tend to be abrahamic here, I exist in the Aeon of Satan. When I am combing grimoires for new knowledge and questions, I exist in the Aeon of Lucifer. And this goes on - Inspiration in Odin, Lust in Ishtar, "X" in "Prince/ss of Darkness here".

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

Kapalika

Re: One path, many Aeons
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 06:38:46 am »
This kind of explains a lot of how i sometimes feel I'm of two minds on Satanism/Tantra but also feel they are different sides of the same thing.

I kinda got stuck in Aquino's re-visioned Satanic Bible so I never got to that part. Might have to grab my copy and give it another shot.

I also have always felt that the different LHP sects have a lot of overlap, yet even within say Luciferianism or Satanism they are all very diverse yet have the same "feel". This aeonic way of looking at it kind of explains that.

Yes, Wicca ect revived things like Isis Aeon but by and large the majority of the world is still Osiris and this world I feel is mostly defined by Osiris given the sheer amount of Christians and Muslims and their influence on the world. I think the start of the Aeon of Horus with Crowley was just the breaking point of occultism going from underground to publicly out, the tipping point that marked the decline of the Aeon of Osiris. The Aeons are oriented towards European trends of religion, but I wonder how Tantra would fit into it... it seems very much like a mix of of a few but not quite any. Of course, traditional LHP has had a continual uninterrupted existence for thousands of years to evolve... by contrast each Aeon marked more or less the extinction of an entire cultural paradigm.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:46:23 am by Kapalika »
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Frater Sisyphus

• Something out of nothing, nothing out of something
    • View Profile
Re: One path, many Aeons
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 07:21:50 am »
It's an interesting subject for sure, whether one takes it as a metaphysical proclamation or just a vague metaphor. The thing is, even when I was a Thelemite, I took it with a grain of salt. There have been many before him that proclaimed aeonic cycles and I don't particularly see reason to see the 'Aeon of Horus' itself as being a more authoritative idea than other aeonic proclamations prior to him.
The aura of Thelema though, and Liber AL, I do see in some way as continuous with the nature of the progress of humanity in this period of time (as evident by the spike in 'things' in the 20th century for instance) but I tend to not see it in the way that Kenneth Grant, Nema and Aquino see it. That kind of interpretation seems more related to the (also Thelemic) notion of "Currents" (as I'm sure most of us are familiar with). In the case of currents, my current position is that they are rather global forces that have always been there but just evolve in their reach throughout history, no specific current stays dominant for too long (- and this kind of runs in conjunction with my cyclical view of time.)

The universe is a speck