Author Topic: Fosforos  (Read 449 times)

Inlustratus

Fosforos
« on: December 28, 2018, 01:23:10 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/Fosforos-Study-Essence-Occult-Philosophy/dp/B00CFLJPAS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546003150&sr=1-1&keywords=Fosforos

300 fucking dollars. What? This is literally the only way to read this book. There's not a single PDF or other edition to buy. Nice.
*scary satanic text*

Little Beast

Re: Fosforos
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:31:09 am »
Hello.

If your a student of the occult and you wish to buy from contemporary authors it's really handy if:

* You appreciate their pathos, or have personally communicated with them.
* You understand that in general occult works are limited run (with a substantially small market) and generally presented as long lasting hardbacks, often with high quality ink and paper.
* Occult authorship is almost never a full time or sustainable job. It's almost like shooting yourself in the foot in order to express your own opinion and make it available for others (with some paperwork involved).
* Almost all second-hand copies of well regarded occult authors are scalped on the online market.
* Understanding the above points, PRE-ORDER your favourite authors works. Most sell out BEFORE the 1st Edition is even released.
I'll be a thorn in your side,
'Til you die
I'll be a thorn in your side
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink

Etu Malku

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 03:25:11 pm »
Johannes Nefastos is the founder of the Star of Azazel, here is some info on his Order
https://www.azazel.fi/en/
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Xepera maSet

• Setian
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 03:34:28 pm »
Nah. I self published a book that'll cost you $15. The prices on books are outrageous to the point of being conspiracy. For instance the only book I have worth over $1,000 is Seth God of Confusion, an academic text that destroys solar belief. I have a coworker who is a Moor and one of his books would have been $250,000. It's a way to either surpression information or to make bullshit seem more important. In occultism it's generally the latter. Knowledge should be affordable when not outright free, and if you don't agree with that your knowledge is likely of lesser value.

And don't get me started on scientific publishing!

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

Little Beast

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:18:34 am »

Indeed. I was being facetious however. I have a particular dislike of the author, and have read esoteric rantings from teenage metalheads (in zines costing far less than 15 bucks) with more nuance than his overpriced toiletpaper.
'Til you die
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink

Liu

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 03:22:28 pm »
Pretty much why I normally read books at least partially before buying them.
I'm actually glad that at my workplace scientists who want to publish anything related to their work there need to provide it as a free download - even if that means we need to pay for publishing if it is a prestigious journal and don't earn money from it directly, only indirectly by increasing our chances on the job market...

For occultists it's often de facto the same, I suppose. And given the small amount of possible readers, it might actually be easier to find 1 idiot who pays you 1000 bucks for a copy than selling 50 copies for 20 bucks each.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:35:35 pm by Liu »

Etu Malku

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 11:53:43 pm »
Marketing 101: make it affordable and reach the biggest consumer audience as possible  :rolleyes:
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Inlustratus

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 06:21:18 pm »
Marketing 101: make it affordable and reach the biggest consumer audience as possible  :rolleyes:

Well maybe not for the occult, but it's on Amazon... Honestly it looks like it's worth more-than-average price, but 300 dollars as the lowest price and over 1000 for the highest is still too much.
*scary satanic text*

Onyx

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 08:47:33 pm »

Haha. I was a professional picture framer for most of my life, basically one of the foremost who served the "upper crust". My work was immaculate so I could charge a pretty hefty premium for it.

That said, the contents of the frames didn't always justify the high cost.

Olive

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 11:17:34 pm »
It’s certainly frustrating to be kept out of important information by price gatekeeping. One of the reasons I support totally free and open dissemination of modern occultists. Magical practices take a lot of commitment but it shouldn’t be financial commitment at the outset if it can at all be avoided.

This is also a problem for academic texts in a big way. Woe to the independent autodidact! There are several volumes I’m pining to read that are practically outside of my modest disposable income. Even good scholarly work done 45 years ago can still run into the hundreds for one piece, with little or no alternative.
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Etu Malku

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 01:04:48 am »
Just sayin' . . . .  :mrgreen:
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Onyx

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 03:16:27 am »
Yeah, I favor the intelligent exchange of ideas over passing around collection plates. There were some up-front costs here, but monthly expenses are minimal and I've handled everything myself without resorting to money-making schemes. No need for membership dues the way we operate.

The gist of my previous post is that I would like the O.S. to be about the quality of the painting, instead of some expensive frame. Material offerings are okay, but should be as break-even as possible to avoid this becoming a business instead of an esoteric school of thought.

I intend to make a page containing high-resolution versions of our artwork, so people can get their own stuff made (banners, pendants, etc), working on the legal boilerplate for that.

Little Beast

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 08:31:59 am »
I would like the O.S. to be about the quality of the painting, instead of some expensive frame.

I quoted this quote because it's quotable, and I don't even know if you're quoting someone.

I've said it before (but definately not in these words) you guys are pretty much the Bob Ross of Satanism related forums. I mean that in the nicest possible way, but also to offend the edgelords.
'Til you die
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink

Onyx

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 04:12:48 pm »
Had to find the quote but something like this was on the brain:

Quote from: Anton LaVey
The difference between the man or woman who’s a practicing Satanist, from an identity Satanist is that the practicing Satanist looks at the picture, while the identity Satanist studies the frame.

A successful picture framing job draws attention to the artwork instead of taking away from it. If a fancy-schmancy frame serves to that end, fine. Many pictures I've seen over 20 years were terrible to begin with. Likewise if the framing job is terrible, it will only serve to detract from what otherwise could have been be a beautiful display.

As a product of the 80's, I remember Bob Ross since I was interested in art. I'm not wild about "starving artist" type paintings, but can appreciate the efficiency of his techniques. Even though I watched the show I never painted like that, always preferred using thin transparent layers instead of spackling paint all over the canvas like a Tammy Fae Bakker makeup job.

My first electric guitar was rather like a 30-minute Bob Ross TV show in that I just wanted to get a feel for the process, knowing that the first time around wasn't going to be perfect anyway so I didn't waste too much time. It was playable but the next few I built were a lot better. Likewise the O.S. is a work-in-progress.

Anyway, it's a funny analogy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:59:46 pm by Onyx »

Little Beast

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:04 pm »
We let me be the first to tell you you got it made.
'Til you die
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink