Author Topic: What flaws undermine some LHP organizations, and how do others avoid them?  (Read 90 times)

idgo

The topic of what we can learn from the LHP organizations we dislike has been on my mind lately, and I'm curious about all your observations. This forum contains more years of occult experience than any of its participants have been alive, and I value the perspectives that our little hive-mind can come up with. So I inquire: what's a flaw that bothers you about some LHP organizations, and how have you seen others avoid or overcome that flaw? No need to name the organizations where you've seen a given flaw, nor to go out of your way to hide an organization's identity if it's super obvious.

To start with a couple of my own:
Flaw: Over-emphasis on monetization, fees, dues, etc.

How some avoid it: I notice that thinkers and leaders who put effective strategies into practice into their own lives can often balance a lucrative career with participation in an organization don't have the desperation, urgency, or unbridled greed that seems to contribute to some leaders "selling out"

Flaw: Bullying to maintain secrecy and retain members

How some avoid it: I think those two reasons for bullying have distinctly different solutions. Bullying-for-secrecy can be easily avoided by having real knowledge/teachings at the heart of the organization -- ideas that can be synthesized and comprehended through hard work, but look like nonsense without it. Bullying-for-secrecy seems often motivated by fear about one of two opposite outcomes: Either the bullies recognize that their teachings are empty and don't want their followers to find out by hearing criticisms from the more clear-thinking uninitiated, or they have persuaded themselves that their teachings are not only extremely powerful but extremely easy for laypeople to understand (usually a delusion). Maintaining a rational view of the power of one's knowledge and the work required to synthesize it can avoid both those extremes.

Bullying to prevent people from leaving, on the other hand, seems to stem from emphasis on quantity rather than quality of participants. Bullying for member retention often appears to stem not from leaders themselves, but from needy and psychologically unsound people below the leaders but above those they desperately with to keep in the group in order to feel the validation of being better than someone.

So, what are the anti-patterns you've observed in the organizations you've seen or been involved with, and how have those who do better done so?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:15:46 am by idgo »

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mephistopheles of the Desert
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: What flaws undermine some LHP organizations, and how do others avoid them?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 04:34:18 am »
I agree for sure.

- Selling acceptance, selling degrees, not a fan: "$100 and you can reach IIIĀ°!" Organizations can simply not do this. If there are optional things like conclaves, books, jewelery, etc then pay individually to the other individuals.

- The bullying for secrecy, and the reason for that secrecy being simply to suck in members: "We have a bunch of really secret knowledge, but if you share it with a non(paying)member we will literally sue you." Open source knowledge. Like this is Occultism, it's my life but how many people are REALLY paying attention. I love this forum but there's no denying it's smaller than I'd like. If you have knowledge worth a damn you'd share it, it's just kind of who we are, at least those of us drawn here so far. And truly if a Magus is to see his Word spread to all humanity, shouldn't it be understandable outside high level Initiation?

- Exclusivism: "if you're not our religion/ideology you're an imposter/moron/fiend!" Be more humble. Beyond your own existence you know jack shit.

- Epistemological unfriendliness: "a conclusion that differs from mind must be unsound." See above.

- Traditional initiation: "I'm you're superior and will determine your achievements." Just have equal members and a democracy, with a board of multiple members, odd numbered, for when the hand needs to be forced.

"My step is great,
that I may traverse the sky!"

Behold Set, the Prince of Darkness, He of Two Faces, Soul of the Heavenly Serpent. I am Set the Separator, who Contends Against Osiris for Eternity. I have Come Into Being Like Set. I Am King!

Little Beast

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:38 am »
Rules. Leaders. I could go on...
I'll be a thorn in your side,
'Til you die
I'll be a thorn in your side
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink

idgo

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:03:38 pm »
Rules. Leaders. I could go on...

How do you find that other organizations avoid the problems arising from rules and leaders?

Little Beast

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 10:55:43 am »
Choosing not to organise, but rather using the miasma of their membership to represent themselves.
I'll be a thorn in your side,
'Til you die
I'll be a thorn in your side
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink