Author Topic: Synchronicity  (Read 102 times)

Xepera maSet

• Xepera maSet utcha ahAsartchet
  • Administrator
  • Mephistopheles of the Southern Deserts
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Synchronicity
« on: December 20, 2018, 12:27:25 am »
Do you believe synchronicity matters? Is there more to it than mere coincidence? Should we pay attention to them for esoteric reasons? How do they work?

A thread for thoughts on synchronicity. As always I'll add my own when I can.

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

idgo

Re: Synchronicity
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 04:33:05 am »
I figure that the events themselves in a synchronicity are of minimal importance, but the fact that your brain happened to pick them out and call your attention to them matters a lot. If you took a list of all the events that happen in a given space and feed it through a computer and ask it to find all the pairs that could count as "a synchronicity", there'd be too many to count... Your brain only alerts you to a tiny fraction of those possible synchronicities.

You know when you're walking in the woods with a dog and the dog gets all quiet and starts staring in a certain direction? You don't automatically assume there's something there but you sure look over there a lot more carefully than you would have if it hadn't. That's how I feel about my brain pattern matching on a synchronicity, or bringing up that a particular number looks significant, or whatever. It's not a guarantee that there's any meaning to it, but it's a place to look more closely to see whether anything is up.

Little Beast

Re: Synchronicity
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:07:39 am »
"In my experience there's no such thing as luck." - Obi Wotsit Kenobi

Should we pay attention to them for esoteric reasons?

Yes.
I'll be a thorn in your side,
'Til you die
I'll be a thorn in your side
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink