Author Topic: Rituals  (Read 207 times)

Inlustratus

Rituals
« on: December 02, 2018, 08:42:46 am »
So, what kind of rituals do you guys do? Anything from small meditating rituals to... i don't know, burning churches?
*scary satanic text*

Mindmaster

Re: Rituals
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:01:51 am »
So, what kind of rituals do you guys do? Anything from small meditating rituals to... i don't know, burning churches?

Probably none, in the conventional sense.

First, I find them unnecessary, theatrical, or even trope-ish. Second, there are quicker ways to do everything.

I've always operated on the theory that if you couldn't perform a magickal act in front of someone without them knowing it was too damn complicated. :D

Needless to say, this "method" isn't something I invented but rather was inspired by authors like Franz Bardon and a few others. I just put my own spin on it...

Burning churches = tropes, lol.

Meditation has value, but once you can "get there" instantly it's not necessary to sit there repeatedly gazing at one's navel -- it happens like walking.

About as close as I get to normal ritual would be some sort of prayer or devotion type thing.

Beetle

• Two-handed Occultist and searcher of Gnosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:53:31 pm »
Anything I can try without having to spend money to practice, I'll try. (is my way of thinking about things)

idgo

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 06:38:37 am »
I tend to notice and use the rituals of repetition present or available in ordinary actions -- tidying a room, making music, gardening. The sense of a "right" way to do these things (at least, when sensed by a mind without prominent OCD traits) and the composition of eventual muscle memory are, in my opinion, the heart of most rituals of the routine sort.

There are also rituals of the transformative sort. I rarely use others' of these verbatim -- instead, I examine them and construct my own interpretation to get the best power out of my own belief system. (I'm predictable enough in my Chaos leanings that any deviation is a powerful surprise.) For instance, I use my understanding of the LBRP to construct a banishing type activity when I want such effects.

Occasionally I'll spot an opportunity for a relatively novel and informal ritual or magical act, at which point the ritual is to follow the opportunity... those openings are formed when I observe my own mind closely enough to notice exactly what input seems likely to have the desired effect on it.

An example: I'm watching myself think one day and eating a snack, and I notice that any person properly grounded in Consensus in that situation would finish the snack -- it's practically guaranteed. The strength of that probability means that by instead stopping and placing the snack outside in a meaningless location, I can trip my brain into believing the experience of doing so is entirely outside Consensus -- because my brain is just that convinced that discarding the snack that way "Wouldn't Happen in Reality". So I do, and I get to run some thoughts in that "this might not be Reality"-primed mental system for awhile until my mind catches up and adds "oh, that one nonsensical behavior might be a Thing That Happens In Reality after all" to its pattern matching. So that particular "ritual" won't work quite the same way ever again, and I will instead spot and use a different one when the opportunity arises.

Are those even rituals? If you define them as scripted or planned actions done for a magical purpose, they sure are. If you define rituals as multi-person, structured, or repeated verbatim through the centuries, they might not be... What definition do you find yourself most often working from?

Onyx

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 04:42:04 pm »
I see things more in terms of Black Magic in general: the intent to produce a change in accordance with the Will. I've always planned my own workings, sometimes drawing upon other sources but tailoring them to my goals.

This can take on many forms and it's up to us to figure out what works for ourselves. If a direct approach is unsuccessful (like being assertive with someone), then one might employ subtle manipulation.

I typically reserve ritualization for personal introspection or decompression. As a more visually-oriented creative/technical type, aesthetics are important to me. I wrote a short paper that explains my general approach in TIS v.4. (And here is a supplement with some extra images there weren't room for.)

But I've done simpler meditative things like light a single candle in pitch-black darkness, and stare at it in the "theraputic" sense of seeing what bubbles up to the surface. And similarly in front of a black curtain or quite often a lone hike in the woods.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:17 pm »
I don't really do any traditional ritual. Life is the ritual. Like I'd say my last big ritual was proposing. Before that it was getting my new job. I don't even have any set altar in our home. Instead it's spread out, like maat in the middle of the house, the guest room is heavily solar as to not affect guests negatively, and (when we aren't decorated for Christmas) Set and my Obsidian pyramid sit with my book, flowers, and a picture of my fiance and I on a little bookshelf of our favorite texts.

"My step is great, that I may traverse the sky."
- The Pyramid Texts

Little Beast

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 10:05:25 am »
I personally use ritual as a "navigation" technique.

My weoh (Old English; "shrine", and etymologically related to the word for "will") is in eternal flux. As a foci however, this is helpful to one of my - uh - devices. Currently it consists of an empty vessel (which just so happens to be skull shaped), a ceramic raven is perched on this, and two candles to hold the gates. Pretty straightforward. Various "psychic weaponry" garnishes the set but they're actual real weapons so that's not important to navigating. Merely practical.

I actually very rarely utilise this augmentation of my skillset (see above replies). Currently, I only do "greater ("black") magic" annually. I wont for nothing, need little, and so the routine is more touching base than anything. That said, Samhain was my last communication with the Elder Things, and it worked out as interesting as always. There's nothing like a trembling empty skull (symbolically represented) vibrating loudly enough to wake you from slumber to confirm your assertions.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:08:39 am by Little Beast »

Olive

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 01:44:39 pm »
I like the distinction between ritual strengthened through repetition (a rite) and ritual through magical impetus in the moment, not specifically prepared for (chaos magic). Both of these play a role in my practice as well.

In terms of base ritual practice, I perform meditation daily. There are many and varied methods of meditation I make use of; I consider it to be pretty essential to progressing in the great work. Somewhat less than daily, I do a kind of contemplative prayer (to the Moon) which involves opening myself up to inspiration rather than abiding in the ground of being. Both have been and continue to be really effective.

At least once a week, but oftener depending on how often I get outside, I practice a form of yoga which I developed for myself. Interesting how that works - it was developed and iterated by chaos-like methods but now has reached a level of development where it has settled into more of a rite. I stand in the Modified Ibis Asana and apply Will to my concentration. This has proven to be an excellent way of strengthening my resolve and clearing the mind,, but it has also given me a kind of superpower in the extreme balance I’ve had to develop.

Every time I catch a glimpse of the Moon outside, I recite a mantra of my choice seven times and bow to her. It’s one of the things I do to keep my Bhakti ripe and willing.

Once a cycle, on the night of the Full Moon, I perform a full ceremonial ritual in sight of it. I anoint a candle ahead of time to be burned in offering, sometimes alongside other sacrificial material. I ritually cleanse myself and then don an outfit of all white. I go out in the night and find a place suitable for my purposes. It needs to be

1. A dark place without much light pollution
2. Open to the sky or at least with a good view of the Moon’s path and the stars.

I carry out my meditation cushion, my spellbook, my magical tools, the offerings, the incense, and whatever else I’ve decided to use in my spread that night, and begin. I won’t describe it step by step here (maybe in the Artemism forum soon), but it often involves casting a circle, introducing myself, reciting Lunar praise verses to honor her, making astrological observations, and then invoking my patron. These are my holy nights, of course, and they are quite useful to me. I’ve had a range of experiences, sometimes so powerful and revelatory that my entire foundation as a being is shaken and disrupted - sometimes more tender, like a night of silent reverence and union. But when it’s done (I continue until the candle is fully consumed), I retrieve the wax medallions that have formed and take them back with me. My collection of wax medallions of different colors is my measure of how long I have been steady in my practice. The tiny stump of the candle that remains must be buried.

I was going to describe a chaos ritual I’ve performed based solely on intuition and incidental energy, but I’m realizing it sounds quite insane - and there’s hardly a way for me to communicate the inspiration I was operating on in that moment. Maybe another time. I’ll just say it had to do with plant lore, sacrifice, what people would call “past life regression”, and a really unique form of divination that actually ended up revealing some useful information.

There are several things I left off of this, but that’s all for now. Cheers. :)
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Little Beast

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 11:58:35 am »
There are several things I left off of this...

These are the only parts that matter.

Olive

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 08:03:36 pm »
These are the only parts that matter.

Incorrect. I may have some of my most revealing moments while doing more advanced methods that I didn’t describe in detail; but success in those moments would be impossible without the wellspring of willpower, focus, awareness, confidence and self-knowledge which was built by the routine I mentioned. Never underestimate a regular practice!
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Little Beast

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 08:03:24 am »
A word to the wise.

When I type something on a forum, I attempt to write in several mediums, so first, second and third person perspectives are important when attempting to understand any point I'm making (assuming I'm making a point at all). So when I quote someone in the context of a thread about ritual (and write something like I had above) I'm integrating what they wrote into a point I'm making - independent of their own perspective or their own conclusion. What I actually wrote above was "I don't tell people what my rituals are" which is extremely important as to why they're my praxis. Apply this to both posts I wrote on this thread.

Understanding this, what I'm saying isn't incorrect. Nebulous and obfuscated possibly, and vague I'd also accept. I do this to allow others to draw their own conclusions rather than making a point out of being pretentious or facetious, although I'm both of these things as well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:08:50 am by Little Beast »