Author Topic: Do you highlight and mark in your occult texts or keep them pristine?  (Read 101 times)

Xepera maSet

• Xepera maSet utcha ahAsartchet
  • Administrator
  • Mephistopheles of the Southern Deserts
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Do you highlight and mark in your occult texts or keep them pristine?

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

Liu

Re: Do you highlight and mark in your occult texts or keep them pristine?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:29:41 pm »
I normally read them digitally ;)

But, I do add comments and bookmarks to the PDFs, and when I have the text physically (book or print-out) I may also leave notes, especially on the print-outs, because if I do print out something then normally because I want to refer to it later again and work with it.

idgo

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:17:59 am »
I pencil in books to simplify math, and occasionally use white out or black ink to fix printing errors. I'm rather old-fashioned in my insistence that more colorful ink belongs in colouring books and sketchbooks only. I do occasionally fill a text with sticky notes when I'm engaging with it deeply, though.

For occult texts in particular, I find it useful to hand-copy "highlight-worthy" passages into an appropriate physical grimoire or diary.

I occasionally come across a secondhand book which has been highlighted, and have to remind myself that the former owner's "ritual" of treating a tome of secrets like a child's colouring page is itself a form of adding meaning to the work. Even though that "meaning" usually conveys few deeper insights than the reminder that some people are rather clueless....

Lyscii

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 03:53:33 pm »
I dog-ear pages that I think I'll want to come back to more than once. I do find highlighting or underlining that others have done to a book to be distracting while reading, though it is interesting to see what someone else found significance in.