Author Topic: Do you highlight and mark in your occult texts or keep them pristine?  (Read 383 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Do you highlight and mark in your occult texts or keep them pristine?

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Liu

Re: Do you highlight and mark in your occult texts or keep them pristine?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:29:41 pm »
I normally read them digitally ;)

But, I do add comments and bookmarks to the PDFs, and when I have the text physically (book or print-out) I may also leave notes, especially on the print-outs, because if I do print out something then normally because I want to refer to it later again and work with it.

idgo

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:17:59 am »
I pencil in books to simplify math, and occasionally use white out or black ink to fix printing errors. I'm rather old-fashioned in my insistence that more colorful ink belongs in colouring books and sketchbooks only. I do occasionally fill a text with sticky notes when I'm engaging with it deeply, though.

For occult texts in particular, I find it useful to hand-copy "highlight-worthy" passages into an appropriate physical grimoire or diary.

I occasionally come across a secondhand book which has been highlighted, and have to remind myself that the former owner's "ritual" of treating a tome of secrets like a child's colouring page is itself a form of adding meaning to the work. Even though that "meaning" usually conveys few deeper insights than the reminder that some people are rather clueless....

Edit: In the intervening months I have recognized the merit to printing physical copies of PDFs. Those are sketchbooks or journals to me, with a convenient prompt in the shape of another author's page of words on each page. I mark the heck out of them, but then I would also not be nearly as bothered by having to burn one as I would be by the very idea of burning a "real book".
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:48:01 pm by idgo »

Lyscii

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 03:53:33 pm »
I dog-ear pages that I think I'll want to come back to more than once. I do find highlighting or underlining that others have done to a book to be distracting while reading, though it is interesting to see what someone else found significance in.

cmagiick

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 04:50:23 pm »
It's weird, when I'm reading an old book and I come across something that someone else highlighted it causes me to pay close attention and try to figure out why that person highlighted that particular passage. Sometimes, it doesn't seem to make any sense at all and I wonder who the person was and what they were thinking at the time. Could they have imagined that someone else would be putting so much thought into their notes at some point in the future?

Mindmaster

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 09:34:09 am »
Do you highlight and mark in your occult texts or keep them pristine?

I don't write on anything, but must confess I'm not reading anything for academic purposes where I need to cross-reference them and am just reading for enjoyment.

The problem with spending 30+ years of your life reading occult and lhp texts is you rarely find reason to purchase another one.