Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 293 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Is it just me?
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:22:17 pm »
I love video games and often want to play them, but often even when I have some time to play I rarely do. I'll play like 30-60 min and be over it. Honestly sometimes I think it's just too much effort and focus for my down time. I'll watch walkthroughs or game movies for longer than I generally play! Maybe I'm just nuts.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

pi_rameses

Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 10:16:07 pm »
It's a lot of time to commit. Most games are really loooooong. I mean really loooooong like Japanese RPGs. Speedruns are where it's at.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

pi_rameses

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:17:50 pm »
Runners can finish Demon's Souls in under an hour. That's really the underlying presupposition for Soulsborne series. The essential spaghetti.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:19:31 pm by pi_rameses »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:42:10 pm »
Speed runs miss the story :(

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

idgo

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 05:49:22 pm »
I find that the more stories I consume, the choosier I get about the quality a story has to be for me to want to invest much time in engaging with it. If a game has a mediocre story and a difficulty/pacing that force me to consume the story slowly, it's not worth my time. By contrast, a book with the same story quality often will be worth finishing, because the time it takes me to consume a book is so small compared to that required by most games' limitations.

Km Anu

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 09:42:26 am »
I find that the more stories I consume, the choosier I get about the quality a story has to be for me to want to invest much time in engaging with it. If a game has a mediocre story and a difficulty/pacing that force me to consume the story slowly, it's not worth my time. By contrast, a book with the same story quality often will be worth finishing, because the time it takes me to consume a book is so small compared to that required by most games' limitations.

I'm often the same way but difficulty engagues me more, tediousness is typically unattractive. But there are some instances where I'll overlook even that for solid narrative. And difficulty plus narrative feels like it rewards my accomplishment with insight.

Deidre

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 06:22:42 pm »
Wasn’t much into gaming but I liked Kingdom Hearts. No desire to play but it will always be in my heart. 

Maybe gaming isn’t as interesting to you because you have more going on in your life. I think that’s a good thing, actually. Spending too much time in one place, not moving, whether gaming or online in general, always leads to not exploring enough of life. But as a hobby on the side, that’s fine. Just my opinion.
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black