Author Topic: Artemism on the Moon  (Read 647 times)

pi_rameses

Artemism on the Moon
« on: November 23, 2018, 04:27:44 am »
I had this question for @Olive to answer but anyone can chime in.

Staring romantically at the Pale Lady tonight in full has got me thinking: how does the practice of Artemism translate for inhabitants of the Moon or another planet like Mars? Or is there no distinction whatsoever? It is a question worth asking as I think humans may eventually pass the threshold of the Kardashev scale that limits them to Earth and move on to inhabit others.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:31:01 am by pi_rameses »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Olive

Re: Artemism on the Moon
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 01:40:13 am »
I had this question for @Olive to answer but anyone can chime in.

Staring romantically at the Pale Lady tonight in full has got me thinking:

She is beautiful, isn't she? Ever am I stricken again by the glory. :)

how does the practice of Artemism translate for inhabitants of the Moon or another planet like Mars? Or is there no distinction whatsoever? It is a question worth asking as I think humans may eventually pass the threshold of the Kardashev scale that limits them to Earth and move on to inhabit others.

I think that the practice could be continued off earth if there was a worthy practitioner. Where there's a Will there's a Way. Conceivably citizens of the lunar surface could use the image of the Earth in the sky for similar purposes - but the connotations would be very different in that case. It is worth explaining that we are not primarily dealing with a physical object but the cultural and symbolic meanings attached to it as well. Wherever consciousness exists, the possibility of refining and transforming consciousness also exists. Since these are the primary objects of our creed, it can conceivably be carried out anywhere it can be understood.

That isn't to say, however, that I think the Moon is totally mundane. The longer I continue the more I come to appreciate just how mysterious it really is. I think the sight of the Moon does impact the mind on a primal and fundamental level. I don't think we can say with any great certainty that we know exactly how the moon is constructed or that we can know to any great degree all of its secrets.

On a more realistic level, though - it may indeed be quite a while before any significant human population resides in any location except earth. Moreover, the current societal structure means that any such privileged people are unlikely to have an effective mentality for completing the work of the witch. As of now, and for the foreseeable future, Artemism is for the beings that live here on the clay. For those who are terminally afflicted, but who are given the blessing of looking up at the Goddess at she looks upon Earth. The Moon is a sublime object of meditation and devotion - my work would be at a great loss without her.
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

pi_rameses

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 02:56:11 am »
I find your answer quite satisfactory. Also, by synchronicity, there was this video that I was watching tonight, where it was actually explained in the video what Gurdjieff meant by a koan he stated. I think it went like this: "You must make Moon"

Start from 13:01 to 18:40
https://youtu.be/3s6JPseKgQU
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:00:21 am by pi_rameses »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

idgo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 08:22:55 pm »
Though all I know about Artemism so far has come from this forum, I'd like to drop some speculation here too, as it's an intriguing question.

I suspect that humans residing on the moon could practice a lightly modified variant of Artemism to great effect. Earthly Artemism stands on Earth and looks at the Moon and contemplates ideas embodied by the relationship between the two, and finds great power in it. Standing on the Moon looking at the Earth facilitates contemplation of that same relationship, though from the other side. I'm reminded of the differences between a farmer looking at a church vs a priest in that church looking out at the farmer -- if both think about the relationship between what the church means and what the field means, they are more alike than different. Now, whether looking at that power from the "other end" would be suited to the name "Artemism" or to some other name is up to more expert scholars than myself... but I suspect it would be at least a close sister religion, if not quite identical.

In another lunar system, however, I think it would take far deeper prying into the "true nature" of Earthly Artemism to determine what local landmark's contemplation or symbolism comes the closest to the spirit of the religion. And unless that introspection also yields a way to believe its results have always been true, there'd be generations of practice required to build up the spiritual "momentum" and tradition that earthly lunar devotions currently enjoy.